Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Valve Index - Specifications released.

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
1,893 REPLIES 1,893

Luciferous
Consultant
Not sure how the touch would work doesn’t it need the headset for positioning?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Didn't realise index was £912 on Steam. I'm just holding off buying any headset until I've heard lots more feedback from people. I'm looking at buying a Geforce 2080Ti while I wait.

pyroth309
Visionary

It does, but if you have a CV1 already you can hack it to get it to work with a different headset. Requires you to have the CV1 powered up to work though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

pyroth309 said:

It does, but if you have a CV1 already you can hack it to get it to work with a different headset. Requires you to have the CV1 powered up to work though.

I'm not too sure about that...it works with the Vive Wands and WMR headsets, but the Rift headset goes to sleep, even when selecting to disable the proximity sensor. SweViver said he tried with the Rift/Touch and a WMR headset, but the controllers stopped working within a short period. I know with my Rift, I had it displayed on my pc monitor while downloading videos through the SLR app, so I could do other things while they were downloading. After a minute or so, the screen goes black, even with the proximity sensor disabled, or even while covered with tape. But as soon as I jiggled the headset, the video came back. So I'm guessing it's not just the proximity sensor, but it also registers if the headset is actually moving around or not. Maybe with the headset sitting on something that vibrates, or hanging from an oscillating fan(?).

pyroth309
Visionary

Spuzzum said:

pyroth309 said:

I'm not too sure about that...it works with the Vive Wands and WMR headsets, but the Rift headset goes to sleep, even when selecting to disable the proximity sensor. SweViver said he tried with the Rift/Touch and a WMR headset, but the controllers stopped working within a short period. I know with my Rift, I had it displayed on my pc monitor while downloading videos through the SLR app, so I could do other things while they were downloading. After a minute or so, the screen goes black, even with the proximity sensor disabled, or even while covered with tape. But as soon as I jiggled the headset, the video came back. So I'm guessing it's not just the proximity sensor, but it also registers if the headset is actually moving around or not. Maybe with the headset sitting on something that vibrates, or hanging from an oscillating fan(?).

Yea I'm not sure how they did it but I've run across a couple of videos and threads saying they pulled it off. You can force it on somehow. Once i read that you had to have CV1 headset going too I moved on lol. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

pyroth309 said:

Spuzzum said:

pyroth309 said:

Yea I'm not sure how they did it but I've run across a couple of videos and threads saying they pulled it off. You can force it on somehow. Once i read that you had to have CV1 headset going too I moved on lol. 

Got any links? I'd love to use the Touch with other headsets.

pyroth309
Visionary

Spuzzum said:

pyroth309 said:

Got any links? I'd love to use the Touch with other headsets.

No unfortunately, it was on reddit somewhere.
This was one of them talking about it. https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9c6wax/discussion_using_the_touch_controllers_without/

But that was about using it as a mouse. Lemme see if i can find it. I doubt it's actually viable beyond a demo though. If you keep the screen on you're risking OLED burnin. I haven't seen anyone actually get it to work as a real replacement. 

kojack
MVP
MVP

pyroth309 said:

This was one of them talking about it. https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9c6wax/discussion_using_the_touch_controllers_without/
Interesting fact: that guy Rajetic in that thread is me. I use the name Rajetic when Kojack is already taken. 🙂 It's my program that uses Touch outside of VR that they are discussing.

Touch communicates with the CV1 headset, so at the very least we need a CV1 plugged in. The CV1 also communicates with the sensors, to sync them wirelessly.
When the headset isn't being worn, touch runs in pure IMU 3DOF mode. Right now, I haven't touched my headset since yesterday, but I just picked up a touch controller and my Oculus Monitor program is reading all controls and rotation. You of course need to power up the touch controller by pressing a button if its on standby. With the current (kind of broken) firmware, it will stay on for a LONG time after that (much to the annoyance of the battery).
The actual orientation of the two touch may not match. Without the sensors active, they only know orientation relative to were they faced when each turned on.

With the headset proximity sensor tripped (usually I just pull the vr cover down a little to do it, or use the debug tool to force it), the sensors come alive and full 6DOF tracking starts. This gives play space relative orientation and position tracking.

pyroth309 said:

If you keep the screen on you're risking OLED burnin. I haven't seen anyone actually get it to work as a real replacement. 

Yep, that's a danger if you want full 6DOF touch. With 3DOF, you get touch with rotations and all controls but the cv1 screens stay turned off.

If you wanted to use Touch with another headset, you'd need a way to calibrate the coordinate systems so the two tracking systems match. Then you'd need a way to inject the touch values into the game. It's easy to do that if the game uses normal direct input joysticks or keyboard and mouse. It's harder if it's a native vr game wanting wmr or steam controllers. I know steam understands this stuff better. For wmr, it's probably possible to inject the data by intercepting calls to the wmr api. I'm doing that with the oculus sdk, it's not that hard. If I had a wmr headset, I could probably write something to do it.

The Rift-S may break all this though. Not only does the headset turn tracking on, but in the case of the Rift-S the headset IS the tracking sensor. You'd need to mount the headset up somewhere where a sensor would usually go in order to track Touch with another headset.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable

kojack said:

pyroth309 said:

Interesting fact: that guy Rajetic in that thread is me. I use the name Rajetic when Kojack is already taken. 🙂 It's my program that uses Touch outside of VR that they are discussing.

The one I read said to use openVR and then trick the controller into thinking it was setup for the other headset, but I wonder what's the difference between the two approaches? I really haven't read into it too much yet.. just knew it was possible. https://github.com/matzman666/OpenVR-InputEmulator - then again maybe it was using the same approach just in a different way.

Yea I figure Rift S controllers might be out of the question - but should be possible with the older CV1 - I wonder if I could bypass the circuit that is having issues with my headset anyways (its the LCD controller) and just have it mounted in a way like a puck XD

kojack
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:
Yea I figure Rift S controllers might be out of the question - but should be possible with the older CV1 - I wonder if I could bypass the circuit that is having issues with my headset anyways (its the LCD controller) and just have it mounted in a way like a puck XD

That would work. Although one issue is that some games (even if not from the oculus store) will detect the CV1 and try to use it. For example Elite Dangerous has multiple native sdks.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2