cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will/Does the Rift S support a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter?

BmanSellout
Explorer
Obviously the only people that would know right now is Oculus or people who have gotten this product early but I was wondering if a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter will work or not due to the fact that I don't have a DisplayPort in my computer. If no one can answer right now please respond when it does release later! Thanks 🙂
10 REPLIES 10

fixit35
Protege
It comes with a mini display adapter but now not sure on hdmi adapter part. I use a display port monitor with a hdmi adapter but don't know if it will work the same

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was sure hoping an adapter would work, but so far have not found any info that it would.

CrashFu
Consultant
Unless an official answer comes out before release day, you might want to just check what your local store's return policy is for the Rift-S,  so you can take it home and try it out for yourself.   I assume that the adapter itself would be of negligible cost   (I always recommend monoprice.com for that sort of thing)
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

BmanSellout
Explorer
Thanks for all the responses! If anyone who has the same issue can update me on this when they get there hands on the Rift S I would be greatly appreciative!

Nekto2
Superstar
You could check video card manufacturer manual.
It is possible that video card need to support DisplayPort data format even with HDMI port (with adapter).

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
@BmanSellout DisplayPort to HDMI adapters are unfortunately not supported. You can view the following support article for full Rift S connection details: https://support.oculus.com/703013856799593/

BmanSellout
Explorer

@BmanSellout DisplayPort to HDMI adapters are unfortunately not supported. You can view the following support article for full Rift S connection details: https://support.oculus.com/703013856799593/

Alright thanks. Is there anyway to get a DisplayPort for my PC installed? I really want the Rift S and knowing that I likely cannot use it sucks. Also quick note the article states that HDMI to DP doesn't work, not the other way around, I may be reading this incorrectly but is there a chance that an adapter for DP to HDMI could still work? Thanks.

BmanSellout
Explorer
Ok.. Turns out I'm kind of stupid and had 3 displayports in my PC this whole time I just didn't look in the right location. Thanks for helping me out everyone sorry for sorta wasting your time but hopefully this helps out anyone else that had the problem I thought I had. Once again, thanks for all the helpful responses 🙂

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support

Alright thanks. Is there anyway to get a DisplayPort for my PC installed? I really want the Rift S and knowing that I likely cannot use it sucks. Also quick note the article states that HDMI to DP doesn't work, not the other way around, I may be reading this incorrectly but is there a chance that an adapter for DP to HDMI could still work? Thanks.

For clarity, the article is technically correct and I misspoke in my previous response, even though I was trying to say the same thing. It is ultimately a HDMI > DP adapter, as the signal is being sent from the graphics card to the headset. Thus, you'd be trying to convert the signal from HDMI to the DisplayPort cable on the headset. But to reiterate, HDMI > DP adapters will not work with the Rift S.

Glad to hear you found some available DisplayPorts on your graphics card!