cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift owners upgrade to Rift_S or HP Reverb

Dilip
Rising Star
Have seen wonderful announcements but made me wonder due to not so big difference in pricing and great difference in resolution 
my wonder is those who already own RIFT and wish to upgrade will they upgrade to RIFT S .. (will it really be an upgrade?) or they 
switch to HP REVERB which is very strong opponent  IMO due to visual fidelity and nice ergonomics... VR WARS are upon us.  
441 REPLIES 441

CrashFu
Consultant
If there was a rise in VR app piracy I would LOVE to see the anti-piracy measures that rise to deter it.   I'm sure you've heard of the creative things flatscreen devs have done to torment pirates...  now imagine what VR devs could do.

Scary images flashing onto your screen, creepy / annoying binaural audio,  screwing with the game's scale,  making your hands really tiny and foreshortening your reach... the possibilities are endless.
>:)
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

ShocksVR
Superstar

Dilip said:

Finally all competitive display specs are in 

Rift S : No IPD Adjustment, 1280 x 1440 pixels per eye 
Valve Index : IPD Adjustment avlbl, 1440x1600 resolution per eye (same to vive pro)
HP Reverb : IPD Adjustment avlbl, 2160x2160 resolution per eye (Winner for Display) 

We have display fidelity winner here undisputed. 

Both Rift S and HP Reverb are fixed displays w/o a mechanical IPD adjustment.  IPD for both are adjusted via software.
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

dennisvanderpoo
Explorer
qilhj6zw7rs1.png

dennisvanderpoo
Explorer
New review of the HP Reverb (must read IMO)
https://www.roadtovr.com/hp-reverb-review-vr-headset
I'm now going back to the Oculus Rift S after reading the review.
I sold my Rift CV1 about a month ago, doesn't feel like an upgrade now, but better than no VR 🙂

pyroth309
Visionary

New review of the HP Reverb (must read IMO)
https://www.roadtovr.com/hp-reverb-review-vr-headset
I'm now going back to the Oculus Rift S after reading the review.
I sold my Rift CV1 about a month ago, doesn't feel like an upgrade now, but better than no VR 🙂

Mura, red smearing, and chromatic aberration? That's disappointing. 

CrashFu
Consultant
To be fair, I suspect that this Ben guy might have a superhuman sense of vision.

That massive increase to resolution and high subpixel fill and he still says the Screen Door Effect is merely "on the verge of being difficult to see." 

1080p must look like 480p to this guy. :lol: 
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

pyroth309
Visionary

CrashFu said:

To be fair, I suspect that this Ben guy might have a superhuman sense of vision.

That massive increase to resolution and high subpixel fill and he still says the Screen Door Effect is merely "on the verge of being difficult to see." 

1080p must look like 480p to this guy. :lol: 

He is just being extremely nitpicky.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Resolution alone doesn't necessarily imply higher overall screen quality, sort of like how megapixels are not a good indication of digital camera quality. I've purchased "4K" action cams from ebay that I guess technically were recording at 4K resolution but looked like a potato.

pyroth309
Visionary

Resolution alone doesn't necessarily imply higher overall screen quality, sort of like how megapixels are not a good indication of digital camera quality. I've purchased "4K" action cams from ebay that I guess technically were recording at 4K resolution but looked like a potato.

Agreed. PPD matters a lot as well as lenses and subpixels. I've seen people complain about the Odyssey+ SDE and I think they're being nitpicky. Sure I can see SDE if I look for it against a bright scene or something but it's so minor that I really have no reason to look for it lol. Compare that to the CV1 where I have to constantly try not to look at the SDE lol.  What is a more annoying problem with the O+ is softening and the small sweet spot and blurring along all the edges. Looks like it'll be awhile before we get a great high res solution. 

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Ben's words have to be taken as a whole and the headline says it all.

An Impressive Headset Stuck with Windows VR Controller

He could have said

An Impressive Headset plagued by dodgy Windows VR Controllers and poor display artifacts

It's easy to forget his original headline when he uses phrases such as "Unfortunately, overall clarity is held back in a large way by plainly visible mura."

So despite that, the headset is still "impressive" for someone who is a bit of a nitpick.  That alone surely speaks volumes. Despite the issues it's still an impressive headset but could be better if it fixes said issues. 

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.