cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X-Wing on Rift?

NjayNL
Protege
Hi,

Since lucasarts games can now be downloaded on GOG including xwing and tie fighter
would it not be amazing to mod xwing of tiefighter to use the rift...

don't know if it will work because of using dosbox to run both games...

What do you think? possible or not?
27 REPLIES 27

ohgrant
Superstar
 I used the Nvidia consumer 3D driver. Before 3D vision they supported some OEM devices like the Z800. I'm still using that driver with an old P4 gtx 7950 agp card just to play a few old games that look better with older 3D support than they do with 3D vision on my R7 1080ti in compatability fakje 3D. 
 The last one , direct X6 or 7 so there never was support for any of the series  with IZ3D or Tridef. 

You're game is looking great 3rd eye/ cross-eyed. Has nice believable depth. Nice looking planet and good to just see the black of space with stars. Good to see good 3D and and a less nebula polluted space. Looking forward to getting it. 
Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

blue_max
Explorer
Thanks for your comments, @ohgrant. So, from what I found on the web, the Z800 is used with alternating left and right images and it won't work with the SBS format. Well, if you've got a Google Cardboard and a compatible cell phone, you should be able to see the videos without crossing your eyes. Although it's much better with an HMD because then you feel like you're inside the cockpit. The TIE-Fighters feel cramped and the Y-Wing also feels kind of narrow, and so on.

Anyway, the Oculus should allow you to experience the mod in VR. However, I haven't heard anyone try it yet with that hardware.

BTW, just to be honest, the background planets and stars are all rendered at the same depth (infinity), so the planet doesn't actually "pop out" when you see it in VR.

ohgrant
Superstar
I'll be able to check it out on my projector or in VR with Virtual desktop or Big Screen. Both have a SBS function. I got to see a bit of it in Virtual desktop, but I have some big downloads going on. Looking forward to a better look when I can.
 I also have an Oculus CV1 and Vive with wireless.. No worries I won't be trying to play your game on the Z800..
 Only question that comes to mind is touch controller and or joystick support? If both or either, I will buy

One of the things on my download list is a free X-wing VR experiance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9ItglRHeac
 Download here https://www.dropbox.com/s/jw2chf2wpvy07wa/ProjectStardust_v0_3b.zip?dl=0

As far as the distance from depth of the planet, seems realistic to me, makes it seem at a further distance, the asteroid in front gives it depth.  
Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

ohgrant
Superstar
 As far as the TIE and Y-wing being cramped in VR. It doesn't seem so to me. I guess that would have to do with the relative size that the game developer decides the pilot to be no?  I converted these to jpg
pvmukvgg750h.jpg
xsmahtgnhha0.jpgyk3ehvlkgh3k.jpg

blue_max
Explorer
Hey ohgrant! Thanks for sharing those images! Funny, I checked them out using my Google Cardboard and I cannot focus on all the elements -- although I can see the depth on some, many seem to have way too much parallax. I guess it's just a different technology. Did you capture these on your old P4 using DirectX 6? May I ask you how you perceive the depth on the GUI, for instance? I can't focus on the Nav Buoy in the last image -- it just looks like a double image to me. The reason I ask is that I went into *a lot* of trouble to fix these elements to place them at the correct depth, so I'm just curious about how this other technology works.

I didn't add any additional hardware support -- it's just a DLL that converts DirectX 6 to DirectX 11 and adds VR as well. In other words: you'll need a joystick or a gamepad to play it. You'll also need a PC that supports DirectX 11. I suggest you use the Oculus too (I don't think it's going to have the same immersive effect on a projector).

It looks like you already have the XWAU installed, so you don't need to buy anything. Just replace the ddraw.dll in your installation directory with my version and that's it.

It's a little hard to describe why some cockpits feel "cramped". Yes, it depends on the scale; but also on the depth perception. When you put on a HMD and look around, you'll see the cockpit around you. You can almost stretch your hand and try to touch the cockpit. It's a very immersive experience. The X-Wing feels more spacious; but the Y-Wing feels like you're going to bump your head and the cockpit feels tight. In the TIE-Fighter you almost feel like you're essentially in this tiny pod with the edge of space just a few inches from your nose, and so on...

I know about Project Stardust. It's cool, right? Unfortunately, I don't think it'll become a full product (but I would totally buy it if it were!)

ohgrant
Superstar
   Not sure why you aren't seeing them correctly. Not a different SBS tech, they look stunning on Oculus in Big Screen.. I can watch them using Power DVD or the free S-view. http://www.sview.ru/en/  It's possible one of those might be inverted. Yes, those were captured from the original DX version of the game. There is hope that it will work on a modern computer with NV 3D vision. and the Steam version of the game.. I will find out soon.    

As far as the how the driver works, it is the same 3D Nvidia driver uses today. originally designed for CRT's and acquired from 3DFX when they went under. The actual 3D output is field sequential but snap shots are saved SBS. 
Here is one from the original Tie 95, the DX version of the DOS Tie fighter. 
yqxo4y1tdnpo.jpg 

blue_max
Explorer
Nice! I inverted a few of the images and I was able to see the depth. The Y-Wing is particularly good; but the GUI at the bottom looks all messed up. The image from TIE-Fighter is also nice; but the cockpit looks quite flat (as expected since this was a texture anyway). Very interesting nonetheless. Thanks for sharing!

BTW, someone just confirmed that the XWA VR mod works with Oculus: you need to set Virtual Desktop to SBS Direct mode and it'll work.

blue_max
Explorer
There's been quite a bit of progress since I was last here. I've just released version 1.0.0. This mod has been supporting SteamVR and Oculus for a while now and can even be played in 6dof:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ueeg2i3u6jfkt6/xwa_vr_ddraw_d3d11_v1.0.0.zip?dl=0