cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which VR HMD will you buy next? - Rift S - Valve Index - Quest etc

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
Hi guys, since we now know that Valve Index and Rift S will be released very soon, I was curious to see where everyone in the community currently stands on their next purchase.

I've tried to give as many options as possible below and included bundles with Quest + Rift S and Quest + Valve Index since I'm guessing many in the community will be buying more then one HMD just as I plan to myself.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
156 REPLIES 156

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
No need for Revive as Oculus games just work direct from Pitool. I think this is because I already have the Oculus account. It might be a different process for those without.  I have no cracks so far. It seems pretty sturdy.  In other news, I just reserved the Index HMD + controller combo. August shipping. 

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Techy111
MVP
MVP

It seems pretty sturdy.  In other news, I just reserved the Index HMD + controller combo. August shipping. 

2uiiigg985e5.gif

😄 
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Wildt
Consultant

In other news, I just reserved the Index HMD + controller combo. August shipping. 

Ditto :sunglasses:
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

sraura
Heroic Explorer
Already preordered Rift S. However I wish they had kept the old speaker design from Rift. The new system is way worse and I hate it already without even trying. Was expecting bigger resolution bump also. This will probably be last Rift I buy unless Oculus gets back to right track with their flagship product. Valve index would had been my pick already if I knew my existing games would certainly support that.

-Disappointed customer but still a customer

Luciferous
Consultant

Already preordered Rift S. However I wish they had kept the old speaker design from Rift. The new system is way worse and I hate it already without even trying. Was expecting bigger resolution bump also. This will probably be last Rift I buy unless Oculus gets back to right track with their flagship product. Valve index would had been my pick already if I knew my existing games would certainly support that.

-Disappointed customer but still a customer

They work with revive, I believe they have already implemented index support.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
I want to know more about cosmos.  IF there is a version of revive which allows it to run PC based oculus store apps and standalone quest apps on it then that could be my next HMD.

I dunno.. definitely want to know more but if it is true it has a snapdragon 855 in it when in standalone mode that could be fab.

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

bigmike20vt
Visionary

Mradr said:

🙂

With that said - hardly anyone reports touch controllers dieing (short of the battery of coarse) lol.

I punched the wall with my oculus touch when i 1st got them................. and all it did was leave a dent in my wall.
oculus touch is built to last, massive respect to who ever designed and built those things.

(not saying i want to risk doing it again!)
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yup, those things must be made from Nintendium lol

Going to be interesting to see how the Index controllers do when smacked about a bit. It's also going to be interesting to see how many people accidentally start throwing the controllers around. Oculus abandoned an almost identical Touch prototype because people start throwing the things around the office.

Luciferous
Consultant
They have a wrist strap like touch 

MowTin
Expert Trustee

No need for Revive as Oculus games just work direct from Pitool. I think this is because I already have the Oculus account. It might be a different process for those without.  I have no cracks so far. It seems pretty sturdy.  In other news, I just reserved the Index HMD + controller combo. August shipping. 

Me too. I preordered the Rift S and reserved the Index. 

If the Rift S doesn't seem like a significant upgrade to my Rift I'll just return it. But what I'm really looking forward to is the Index. 

Waiting until the end of August will be torture 😞 I can't believe the preorders sold out so quickly. And I was away on vacation so I didn't even have a chance. I hate waiting. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2