Did you mean: 

Valve Index - Specifications released.

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
1,893 REPLIES 1,893

jab
Rising Star

Mradr said:
 lol - but the hardware requirement would be nuts. I am not sure how that Hz really plays into VR yet.  I know at least for TVs/monitors for flat screens it really helps keeping things smooth out for motion - so I understand how it will help with VR - but is it really worth over 90Hz in terms of hardware requirements? 90 was already a 50% performance boost from the normally 60Hz most people play at.

The index support 80/90/120/144hz refresh. So if your hardware can't do 120/144 you just fall back to 80/90. Why turn the support for higher refresh into a negative, when in reality it's a win-win? Next time you upgrade your gfx card, the index is ready for it.

The higher refresh was the one thing that Norman Chan from Tested said was the most noticeable improvement to the immersion experience.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee

Morgrum said:

Yes let the hate flow through you! 

That's the second time I have had the picture applied to my conversation in a week LoL. I love it, although Zenbane's had tassels 🙂

Tassels!
I feel so inadaquite now...... and I need to backtrack and see this.
WAAAGH!

Luciferous
Consultant
Page 36 under a spoiler from Zenbane, very funny. 🙂

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
..... Sigh this is what I get for not going through an entire tread and just posting what I see on that last page....
Just saw it.
His was much better.

54lyjnw1ptw3.jpeg
WAAAGH!

Luciferous
Consultant
I appreciated the effort though 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well Valve are not HTC, maybe they will do more sales?

We MIGHT see a cut price around Christmas and maybe Easter but I wouldn't stake my life on it.

They could do a 30% off sale because they don't have to give themselves their usual 30% cut lol, but I can't see them having it on sale for quite some time because GabeN has a new swimming pool to fill with cash. 😄

Luciferous
Consultant
Maybe you'll get the HL3 free with it at Christmas 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
More like The Lab 2 lol

Morgrum
Expert Trustee

Maybe you'll get the HL3 free with it at Christmas 🙂

Sadly we already know the storyline because that was released years ago.
WAAAGH!

Anonymous
Not applicable

jab said:

Mradr said:
 lol - but the hardware requirement would be nuts. I am not sure how that Hz really plays into VR yet.  I know at least for TVs/monitors for flat screens it really helps keeping things smooth out for motion - so I understand how it will help with VR - but is it really worth over 90Hz in terms of hardware requirements? 90 was already a 50% performance boost from the normally 60Hz most people play at.

The index support 80/90/120/144hz refresh. So if your hardware can't do 120/144 you just fall back to 80/90. Why turn the support for higher refresh into a negative, when in reality it's a win-win? Next time you upgrade your gfx card, the index is ready for it.

The higher refresh was the one thing that Norman Chan from Tested said was the most noticeable improvement to the immersion experience.

Please read the next post down:) I think you are over reacting just a bit:)

Mradr said:

Yep no idea how it works, I know that one reviewer was playing No mans Sky at 144hz? However this is another reason I am interested in the Index.

I am not just thinking about today, this headset is a big investment for me. I cannot afford to be replacing my headset every year, I am looking at having it for 3 years. This gives me room to grow as graphic cards improve. Maybe then these features will come into play.

Was about to say that as well - it should allow for the next generation cards coming out some room to stretch their legs in. RX 3k coming out in the next few months and I am sure NV will respond with their RTX 3k lines as well.

I think having hardware options like these is the way forward just a bit. This way you can market your headset for the low and high end at the same time. Now, if they can only get the BS/LH and their new controllers down in price - I think they would have a winner in terms of 1.5 HMD battle goes:)

Anyways, the 120/144 does require more hardware to run them - so that means more cost for the end user right now. The question is - a 2080 require to run them at that speed? If so - is it really worth the price difference and hardware requirement to hit that and how much will that really improve that for VR - for flat screens bla bla bla as I said above:) I see it as an upgrade options for 1) people that want the best of the best hardware and 2) For games that get older in time and hardware advancements that make those games easier to run. This way it scales for both low and high end systems. Yet, how many newer games will want to hit that FPS/Hz and instead focus on getting more game onto the system?