cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tested Rift S Review

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I haven't seen this posted yet, but Tested have just put up their review of Rift S.

It's a good in-depth look, with a similar conclusion as we've seen elsewhere--it's a good headset that does a lot of things well, but maybe not a "must have" upgrade for people who already own a Rift CV1.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo
70 REPLIES 70

nalex66
MVP
MVP
My wife might frown on a $3000-4000 gaming laptop--I already have two capable gaming PCs, and one of them never sees any use. Since she quit her job to take care of the baby, I suppose I should probably be a little more frugal about buying expensive toys. I'll most likely stick with my CV1 for a while longer--I've got a decent 3-sensor wall-mounted setup, and as cool as Passthrough+ looks, I can get a taste of it on the Quest, which I've already got pre-ordered.

As for the lack of headphones, I'm hopeful that Oculus will eventually release an official add-on, but if all else fails, it seems that the PSVR add-on headphones work on the Rift S.
ylzeq1cuah1g.jpg

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

"Why did ASUS sell me a motherboard for £160 with 8 USB slots and I only use 2 of them!!???!?!?!??!?!?! WHY LORD!!?!??!?! WHY!?!?!?!??!?!"

Asus really likes USB ports. I had an X99 Deluxe before my current board and didn't need a USB expansion card for the Rift (despite having a bundle of other USB stuff). You never think you're going to need that many ports but you find uses for them and you miss them when they've gone. Like when your kids leave home, I imagine.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

nalex66 said:

My wife might frown on a $3000-4000 gaming laptop--I already have two capable gaming PCs, and one of them never sees any use. Since she quit her job to take care of the baby, I suppose I should probably be a little more frugal about buying expensive toys. I'll most likely stick with my CV1 for a while longer--I've got a decent 3-sensor wall-mounted setup, and as cool as Passthrough+ looks, I can get a taste of it on the Quest, which I've already got pre-ordered.

As for the lack of headphones, I'm hopeful that Oculus will eventually release an official add-on, but if all else fails, it seems that the PSVR add-on headphones work on the Rift S.
ylzeq1cuah1g.jpg

That's pretty awesome!

So this time around, Oculus took a page out of HTC's book. With the Vive Pro, users had to swap out the lenses. With the Rift-S, we get to borrow some headphones.

These first gen HMD's are little slutty thaangs!
😛

nalex66 said:

Got these QC3's at the ready, should fit over the halo much better than the large over-the-ear phones people seem to be trying.

9m4ofkk35oe1.jpg

Techy111
MVP
MVP

Like when your kids leave home, I imagine.

What ? Miss the kids ? Hah I have 4 and 2 flown the nest and 2 in the nest.......miss them hahahahahaha cough cough.....yes i shall miss them, i shall.........lol
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
I don't mind trying those PSVR headphones but the only problem is, they're white?

I'll only buy them if they come in black to match my Rift S. 

I want to look sexy when using VR, not look like Roger Rabbit! Sweet jesus!  😛
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

bigmike20vt
Visionary
edit.. deleted... sometimes humour does not translate well to other shores.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Thmoas
Rising Star
I have issues with lenses fogging up. I hope S will be an improvement as you can slide the whole display box away from your head.

I'm dreaming of replacement head bands with integrated headphones and active cooling measures. And wireless build in 🙂

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

Thmoas said:

I have issues with lenses fogging up. I hope S will be an improvement as you can slide the whole display box away from your head.

I'm dreaming of replacement head bands with integrated headphones and active cooling measures. And wireless build in 🙂

The fogging issues were resolved mate in a previous thread, we worked out what was happening, people were using VR whilst in the bath and the steam from the hot water was causing issues.

Please refrain from using VR whilst bathing! Thank you for your cooperation!  😛

In all seriousness though, I've never had fogging issues on my Rift, but I use VR in a cold room with windows open and a huge fan so maybe that's why, I like to play VR whilst really cold as it helps you to sweat less.

So all I could recommend is buy a nice big fan.

Also if you think about it, surely the Rift S will fog up more for you as the nose area is now covered to prevent light leakage, I believe I saw that in reviews on YouTube. So if you getting fogging with Rift CV1 now under normal conditions then I'm sure Rift S will be worse for you. But again an easy fix is just open windows and use a large fan. After all, VR is a form of exercise, especially if your standing, walking, shooting, crouching etc, your bound to get a hot head eventually.

And the hotter your head gets, the more chance of fogging. Actually come to think about it, maybe you don't need a new HMD, you just need a new head! lol
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

The S may be better with fogging if it's moisture from breathing out of your nose that's the cause (and you have a small nose that doesn't protrude below the bottom of the HMD).

Otherwise as you say @Thmoas ,the S isn't held hard against your face like CV1 and can be moved backwards and forwards to allow for eye relief so this could also be a way of preventing fogging if you suffer from it.