cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Topic about the Rift S & Old Rift-Sensors

TomTom1298
Explorer
Howdy! 

i wonder, would my old Rift sensors work together with the Oculus Rift S? 

If so, it might come in handy to place a sensor behind you. I’ve heard (not experienced it yet) that the Rft S’ sensor is not doing a great job if you go behind ur back. For example, grabbing arrows on your back. 
My PC-Specs:

I7 8700k - 16Gb DDR4 3200 Ram. (2x8) - RTX 2080 Ti
9 REPLIES 9

TomTom1298
Explorer

Howdy! 

If so, it might come in handy to place a sensor behind you. I’ve heard (not experienced it yet) that the Rft S’ sensor is not doing a great job if you go behind ur back. For example, grabbing arrows on your back. 

(I’m talking about the hands) 
My PC-Specs:

I7 8700k - 16Gb DDR4 3200 Ram. (2x8) - RTX 2080 Ti

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Oculus said it is something they might look at depending on feedback, but currently the sensors won't work with Rift -S. It's down to Oculus if they want to add it or not in the future.

wzygrr
Protege

Howdy! 

I though about that too, but my second thought was if you had inside out tracking working and during your game, if you ended up facing your stationary sensor instead of having it behind you, your body would block your sensor and you're right back where you were with no rearward tracking. So my guess would be unless your position didn't change much, it wouldn't make much of a difference to have a stationary sensor. Just my thought. Now if Oculus offered a 6th, rearward facing inside out camera that could be attached to the rear of the headset, that would neatly solve the behind the back issue.

saami81
Rising Star

RedRizla said:

Oculus said it is something they might look at depending on feedback, but currently the sensors won't work with Rift -S. It's down to Oculus if they want to add it or not in the future.

Are you saying that hardware supports it? If so then it could be very early update.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I thought I heard that the Rift-S touch controllers (maybe even the Quest’s) can be used with the Rift cv1.  But not the other way around.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

nalex66
MVP
MVP

TomCgcmfc said:

I thought I heard that the Rift-S touch controllers (maybe even the Quest’s) can be used with the Rift cv1.  But not the other way around.

This was reported by multiple sources around the time of GDC. More recently, Tested stated that the new Touch would not work with CV1, and a member of Oculus staff confirmed that it won’t work on Reddit a few days ago. 

That said, the new tracking system is still based on Constellation, and Nate did say in the Tested GDC interview that it was technically possible to use CV1 sensors as supplemental trackers, so hopefully at some point in the future they might develop the software to make it work. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm expecting them to add it at some point which is why when I give my current Rift to a mate of mine I'm only giving him 2 sensors lol  😄

inovator
Consultant
Let the dinasaurs go already. Yes index has base sensors most likely just for their 1st headset. In the near future they will be no more. Grit your teeth be brave and say 20 times, I can let them go. 

RiftDragon1248
Honored Guest
I just imagine with 3 sensors and the rift s tracking, you will get a much more accurate tracking on your body movements.