cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you play new games on hard mode to begin with?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I've always set 2D games or VR games to Normal mode if there's an option for difficulty, but I just wondered if anyone uses hard mode to begin with? I can't play through a game once again once I've finished it and I don't know if selecting normal is the best way to play a game. Do you reckon a game should be played on hard to begin with or is hard mode just there for if you want to play the game again?

I've always wondered what difficulty level the game devs expect you to play on when it's a new game.
20 REPLIES 20

jayhawk
Superstar
I played Dying Light on hard mode the first time. Night time was terrifying. I refused to leave the safe house at night till I was like level 40. That game in VR would be the ultimate.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@jayhawk - Is that game any good? I've had it sitting in my Steam library for ages and never played it.

jayhawk
Superstar

RedRizla said:

@jayhawk - Is that game any good? I've had it sitting in my Steam library for ages and never played it.

I'll just put it this way. It's in my top 3 games of all time. I absolutely loved it, but I am a bit biased. I like FPSs and zombie games. Play it on hard. Eventually you get tough lol.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm in Hard Mode whenever I think about @vannagirl's wobbly bits Heart

jayhawk
Superstar

snowdog said:

I should have seen this coming....

Anonymous
Not applicable

jayhawk said:

snowdog said:

I can send you a video if you want to give me your credit card details, then you'll see it cumming.

Where's that coat..?

bigmike20vt
Visionary

RedRizla said:

I've always set 2D games or VR games to Normal mode if there's an option for difficulty, but I just wondered if anyone uses hard mode to begin with? I can't play through a game once again once I've finished it and I don't know if selecting normal is the best way to play a game. Do you reckon a game should be played on hard to begin with or is hard mode just there for if you want to play the game again?

I've always wondered what difficulty level the game devs expect you to play on when it's a new game.

god no!
with so many games to play and not enough time to play them, i am a normal kind of guy.

exceptions are games i played a prequel to and am already proficient at or co-op games where the difficulty does not scale well.  (eg gears of war for instance... tho gears 4 is my 1st game i did not beat on insane, i found it had too many cheesy deaths to play on insane and having "no revives" just made it less fun imo so i did that on hardcore).

most games i play for the story narrative. Also another problem is AI or lack of.....
too many games increase difficulty by adding cheese points - spawning bad guys from areas you already cleared so they cant possibly come from  OR by making them bullet sponges.

bullet sponges i hate.  "monster" games i can forgive a bit but a headshot is a headshot and this is something which really annoys me in games like the division. I would much rather they upped the enemy count or made the enemy take cover better etc rather than an entire clip of headshots only doing 50% damage.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

jayhawk
Superstar

snowdog said:

jayhawk said:

snowdog said:

I can send you a video if you want to give me your credit card details, then you'll see it cumming.

Where's that coat..?

hmmm.....did you ever get that lingerie?

morsify
Protege

jayhawk said:

I played Dying Light on hard mode the first time. Night time was terrifying. I refused to leave the safe house at night till I was like level 40. That game in VR would be the ultimate.

Have you tried it using the VR 'tweak'? I'd probably buy it if it was genuinely playable in VR.

I read this somewhere and kept a note of it in case I bought it:
Apparently you have to go to:
DOCUMENTS / DYING LIGHT / OUT / SETTINGS
Find the VIDEO.SCR file and open with the notepad.
Add the command: OculusEnabled ()
Save & play
There are some visual problems but you can then play in VR. I'd be interested to know how good or bad it looks/plays if anyone tries it.

Back on topic, I start games on normal. If I enjoy it I play again on harder levels, or normal again without missing any secrets/kills etc the second time. 
Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X, i7 9770K, 16GB DDR4, EVGA RTX2070XC 8GB Ultra Gaming, AOC 32" monitor, 2 x Inatek PCI USB controllers, Oculus Rift CV1, Windows 10 64 Home

Anonymous
Not applicable

jayhawk said:

snowdog said:

jayhawk said:

snowdog said:

Where's that coat..?

hmmm.....did you ever get that lingerie?

Give me your credit card details and you might find out  😮 😄 😄 😄