cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WTF? are you thinking with your controllers?

wezzy_the_wizar
Honored Guest
I hope Oculus reads this. Why are your new controllers so ridiculous? I bought an oculus because I liked the circle to be around my hands so I can hold it with ease and use it more naturally. With the new design you guys have coming out the big O serves no purpose just like the vive controllers. Please make your controllers like you did before as they actually served a purpose and were useful.
60 REPLIES 60

Anonymous
Not applicable
The ring is positioned that way so the sensors on the headset can see it (remember Rift S/Quest are using inside out tracking, different from the original external sensors used with Touch). If you think about it for a moment, you will see the purpose.

edmg
Trustee
Yeah, it's a downside of the inside-out tracking. The loops have to be where the cameras on the headset can see them.

cybernettr
Superstar
Looks to me like the new controllers will give your hands less protection should you hit them against something. Big drawback!

With the old controllers, your hands didn't protect the controllers, big drawback.

In all seriousness, the new passthrough guardian system should eliminate most if not all of your hand to wall contact. And if not, I'd rather my hand hit something than my controllers even though they've proved to be pretty tough things. The things they're hitting (like a TV) aren't, so it's not great if people ignore guardian and just rely on the controllers as some sort of boxing glove.

In either case to the OP, as Cyber (TheRealCyber) says, the hoops serve exactly the same purpose as they've always done, they house the IR LEDs that allow them to be tracked, they just have to be higher now because the device doing the tracking is the headset.

pyroth309
Visionary

Looks to me like the new controllers will give your hands less protection should you hit them against something. Big drawback!

Yea I agree, would much rather destroy and replace the controllers than hit my hands especially with a system that is encouraging movement and freedom. I have very long arms and that's just going to pretty much restrict me to play in wide open areas but I get that they didn't have much of a choice so whatever. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
The new design does serve a purpose: it's for better tracking.
Also, the controller is not supposed to protect your hand. Do you know what serves that purpose? Tidying your room 😉 .

pyroth309
Visionary

The new design does serve a purpose: it's for better tracking.
Also, the controller is not supposed to protect your hand. Do you know what serves that purpose? Tidying your room 😉 .

Well with a mobile headset, sometimes you're going to run into problems where you're playing in a less than ideal space because that's all that's available is all. (IE in my office when I should be working Lol) It only takes one slip up to end up in the ER with stitches lol. But it's a moot point anyway because it's not like they wanted to flip the ring, they had to. 

Digikid1
Consultant

I hope Oculus reads this. Why are your new controllers so ridiculous? I bought an oculus because I liked the circle to be around my hands so I can hold it with ease and use it more naturally. With the new design you guys have coming out the big O serves no purpose just like the vive controllers. Please make your controllers like you did before as they actually served a purpose and were useful.

You’re quite correct however it is for a reason. That reason being that the sensors in the headset could not see the LED lights in the ring unless they moved them. 

It is a flaw in their design and hopefully they will fix it in the next version. Better yet hopefully the next design will be haptic gloves or the ability to use our natural hands. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I don't understand this idea that keeps popping up about "protecting my hands." The Vive Wands and Index Knuckles don't protect your hands either, so why is Oculus supposed to play the role of nurse nanny to everyone's hands all of a sudden?

For anyone who has sensitive hands that need protection during video games, I recommend some Boxing as a form of exercise.

If you really need hand-protection, buy some Gloves:
https://www.amazon.com/slp/hand-protection-gloves/j4smta5xg6ee3hm