New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift 1.37 Release Rolling Out Now

OculusSupportOculusSupport Posts: 360 Oculus Staff

Home:

• Tutorial refresh: We've polished up the new user tutorial in Home to be more lightweight and dynamic, as well as offer rewards for completion. If you are not a new user and want to check it out, find it in your settings menu.
  • UI revamp: We've updated the user interface for a consistent look and feel, and to make navigation and browsing more intuitive.
  • Expressive Avatars Update: Avatars have been updated to simulate eye and mouth movement, making a simple conversation feel more dynamic. And with new outfits and customization options like eye color and lipstick, spending time with others in VR will feel more personal and authentic.

Dash:

• Screenshot capture in VR: Capture screenshots from inside your headset by pressing the 'screenshot' button located on the menu on the right side of your Dash belt. There is a 5 second timer to set the pose and position of the screenshot. Images will be saved out to your C:\Users\*User*\Pictures\ directory. Happy screenshotting!

As always, if you encounter any issues with this software release, please be sure to report them using the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the Oculus desktop software. If you have any feature requests or suggestions to make the Oculus software even better, please head over to our UserVoice page to share your feedback. Thanks for your continued help!

Comments

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,058 Valuable Player

Dash:

• Screenshot capture in VR: Capture screenshots from inside your headset by pressing the 'screenshot' button located on the menu on the right side of your Dash belt. There is a 5 second timer to set the pose and position of the screenshot. Images will be saved out to your C:\Users\*User*\Pictures\ directory. Happy screenshotting
    Well it’s about time.  👍🏻
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,083 Valuable Player
    Cool :)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 467
    Trinity
    Rift S is almost here !!!

And thanks for the new Screenshot feature
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • DTHDTH Posts: 257
    Nexus 6
    Danger Will Robson Danger.  If you turn off PTC (beta) It will reinstall 1.36 then you have to wait in line for 1.37
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,502
    Project 2501
    edited May 9
    Ya, that happened to me yesterday, lol!  I just re-subscribed to the PTC and got back 1.37 (xxxxxxx99).  It usually takes about a week for the Repair version to get up to date.

Edit; main advantage for me with 1.37 is that X plane 11 VR now closes properly.  Before I needed to close it with task manager.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.

• MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    edited May 10
    You need to fix this because it is just stuff that annoys us: -
    1. ALLOW STORE OR HOME to be our Default Page to prevent the unnecessary loading
    2. IN HOME sort out the Movement so that it has a Strafe and the turning is a same rate of turn to other directions (2 Joysticks doing same things and using 2 Joysticks to turn slightly faster is just rubbish and has no strafe!)
    3. USING BOTH THUMB CLICKS should RECENTRE as that is the usual method everywhere else!!!
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 968
    3Jane
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    1. ALLOW STORE OR HOME to be our Default Page to prevent the unnecessary loading
    2. IN HOME sort out the Movement so that it has a Strafe ....

If you want 'strafe' just look where you want to go while moving forward (you did try this before posting, right?)...
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,113
    Wintermute
    No, no, I agree with MAC_MAN86 on this one : without strafe it's difficult to position your avatar right in front of E.g. a screen. You have to make maneuvers like parking your car, and it's painful. I agree on this, strafe is needed and I can't think about any difficulty or caveat to implement this. The 2 speed turning difference the current implementation allow using 2 stick can be easily dispatched on one of of the analog stick, or set as an option (slow/fast).

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• dburnedburne Posts: 2,850 Valuable Player
    In headset screen shot feature works great, nice to have!

I would note mine is not saving to the screenshot folder in Users, but to just My Pictures folder. 
    May be because I moved the My Pictures folder to a different drive other than C:.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    Wintermute
    edited May 11
    OK, let's just do it all the OCULUS WAY for all Games...

REMOVE STRAFING - we all move where we look and you gotta look that direction to do that if you wanna!
    REMOVE ANY POINT OF HAVING 2 CONTROLLERS IN YOUR HANDS - just make all buttons same same!
    USE 2 SPEEDS OF TURNING WITH 2 JOYSTICKS - just like ECHO VR as that old Dynamic Analogue Control is so 80s!
    REMOVE THE 2 THUMBSTICK RECENTRE - menus are nicer to search for it!
    LOAD HOME ALWAYS - so you can then wait to choose STORE always which is much nicer!

This is not designed by British Intelligence obviously else it would not be like the way it is right now!
    (much like RIFT S design removed the headphones!)

Wintermute
    edited May 11
    Likewise stop assuming we are NOT a majority!
    Don't assume the majority of posters against positive and frankly bloody obvious needed changes are all that matters!
    The very reason for NO CHANGE is from Forum Users that post against ideas.
    The very reason so few ideas get posted is due to those getting ideas rebuked by do-gooders and they give up!
    The reason so few stand up is because they go and buy another brand!
    GET IT? GOT IT? GOOD - so don't assume;)
    Wintermute
    The UserVoice page has been promised for a very long time to be added to the Menu Page.
    My ideas are overlooked due to the majority never look and the majority don't come here.
    The majority are never listened to. The majority and minority all know it won't change sod all.
    There is never any point to having a say and even less therefore to say anything against it.
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 478
    Trinity
    I have to agree with MAC_MAN86 as well about strafing. The point of natural locomotion is to feel... well... natural. Preventing something as natural as strafing simply goes against that very idea. And as CrashFu said, it's not very hard to implement.
    Besides, it's also not practical at all. What if I want to look at an object while moving around it? I can't, because I have to look in the direction where I want to move. What if I want to play Basket Ball? I can't, because strafing is essential for it and I can't do it.

It's not about liking it or not. Currently, the natural locomotion of Home sucks, period. It's ok, it's not the end of the world and there's nothing to be ashamed of.
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
    Project 2501
    Strafe (the ability to move around quickly/smoothly using your thumbstick as opposed to teleporting) within Oculus Home 2.0 is not important to me since I now use a minimal home environment (big cube white).  I don't need, or want to move around in any Oculus Homes.  When I do need to move or change my starting point I find that teleporting works fine. The Big Cube environment actually frees up some resources btw, and makes it much more like the original Oculus 1.0 home.  

I find it hard to believe that many of the Core 2.0 haters have not utilised this.  Maybe they are just looking for something else to complain about, lol!

If you do a bit of searching you will find this bigcube 3d environment file to import.

However, if it's important to do this then by all means mention this to Oculus directly.  Whining about it on this forum probably is not going to do much imho.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.

• RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,243
    Wintermute
    edited May 11
    CrashFu said:
    I'm going to agree as well,  a Strafe option would be nice  (even if it's something you have to toggle on in the settings.  As an option, it wouldn't be hard to implement and wouldn't hurt anyone, so why not?)

I'm also agreeing. It would be easy to put variable turning speed on one controller and strafe on the other. (but always with the option to change left and right hand).

RattyUK said:
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    2. IN HOME sort out the Movement so that it has a Strafe ....

If you want 'strafe' just look where you want to go while moving forward (you did try this before posting, right?)...

Strafing, by default, is looking straight ahead while moving left or right.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
    Project 2501
    This (strafe) is now getting to be a waste of space with respect to this thread.  I think it would be best to limit further discussions to other  issues with the 1.37 update 

Wintermute
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Strafe (the ability to move around quickly/smoothly using your thumbstick as opposed to teleporting)

You are way off the mark. I've been strafing for about 26 yrs and never had a thumbstick.
    If you're unsure of what strafing is, then it's probably not an issue for you. For others it is. BTW, the Big Cube environment is in no way related to strafing.

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,689 Volunteer Moderator
    The Home movement does need fixing. Sub Nautica does much better dual stick walking (especially after the speed fix in the 3rd party vr patch). Talking about this isn't limiting discussion of other problems, somebody just needs to mention them.

I just wish the vr store was separated from Home 2, so we could fully replace it.
    (Replacing Home 2 with a different home program with whatever movement we want is easy, but we lose the vr store. The desktop store is fine though)
    TomCgcmfc said:
    This (strafe) is now getting to be a waste of space with respect to this thread.  I think it would be best to limit further discussions to other  issues with the 1.37 update 
    Agreed.  No more useless complaining Mac_man.  Take it to uservoice.
    Wintermute
    edited May 12
    I get nothing from UserVoice but do VOTE HERE. As always I send Oculus Direct Feedback in Home Desktop.

Thanks for the Support and sure I think all 3 are in need. Tom demonstrates how we must create something different to what they intended by removing everything. I used to use Homeless Hack but we have to steer Oculus away from us requiring our Hacks as they get replaced on each Update and is both a nuisance and shows ignorance to good Development to implement what satisfies all User's Needs.

This is all relevant to our Update as it has missed out on these long needed features yet again so totally no need to act a Mod to stop this topic btw. The thread is a simple announcement here on a Released Update we are about to get! We are free to talk on both what it has and has not and whether you got it yet LOL!

So not all of us want HOME and some hate to have to load STORE (which looks bloody good!)
    Why then is it so hard to not make either a DEFAULT?
    Also I do not want to have to only Invite Friends to my own Home (I see it will wear off) but would prefer a LOBBY OF ONLINE FRIENDS. So why not make the STORE that and just add an Option to also remove Online Friends for peace and quiet. Or even better create a really good LOBBY. Any could be made your Default.

Both Thumbstick Buttons for Re-centre is just obvious as is remove Move In Direction You Look!
    Wintermute
  • bo3bbo3b Posts: 67
    Hiro Protagonist
    Why are you forcing an NVidia driver update?

After this forced update, anyone interested in viewing 3D content in BigScreen or Virtual Desktop will be locked out.

Why are you doing this?
    Wintermute
    BTW besides ignoring our BEST IDEAS...
    Need Fix for Controllers Not Switching OFF when not in use!
    Need Fix Warning for Touch Batteries when not in use but warning us and switching focus OUT OF THE GAME!
    BTW, I am the best advisor for Oculus. You must take notice ;)
    bo3b said:

After this forced update, anyone interested in viewing 3D content in BigScreen or Virtual Desktop will be locked out.

Why are you doing this?
    Hrmm.....this is an NVIDIA issue and not the fault of Oculus whatsoever.  You are blaming the WRONG COMPANY.

MAC_MAN86 said:
    Need Fix Warning for Touch Batteries when not in use but warning us and switching focus OUT OF THE GAME!
    BTW, I am the best advisor for Oculus. You must take notice ;)
    Stop....just STOP.  Seriously.
    Wintermute
    edited May 14
    Stop trying to stop fixes and suggestions seriously kids!
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    BTW, I am the best advisor for Oculus. You must take notice
    Stop....just STOP.  Seriously.
  • bo3bbo3b Posts: 67
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited May 15
    Digikid1 said:
    bo3b said:

Why are you doing this?
    Hrmm.....this is an NVIDIA issue and not the fault of Oculus whatsoever.  You are blaming the WRONG COMPANY.
    NO, I'm blaming the correct company- Oculus. Oculus just unilaterally destroyed the only reason I use my Rift. Functionality that I use and is the only reason I have one was just destroyed because they provide zero ability to avoid updates. Their updates destroyed my Rift, not NVidia.

I didn't buy Virtual Desktop so I could browse the web. Oculus force feeding me updates with no workaround is the problem.  They are forcing a driver update for no reason whatsoever.  

In case anyone is actually paying attention here- Oculus can and will destroy your library of apps whenever they feel like it.  You don't own a damn thing, you are renting your apps until Oculus says you are no longer allowed.

Edit: NVidia driver is not being force updated.Neither Nvidia, nor Oculus are forcing video driver updates at this time.
    Wintermute
    Digikid1 said:
    bo3b said:

Why are you doing this?
    Hrmm.....this is an NVIDIA issue and not the fault of Oculus whatsoever.  You are blaming the WRONG COMPANY

Mine didn't require a new graphics driver, only an oculus driver, maybe bo3b's driver was too old.