cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Quest Outside

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
This looks like fun under controlled circumstances. I would love to try this at dusk or on an overcast day.

1.check weather report
2. find a safe place
3. make sure a pair of eyes keeps you from falling into the abyss.

Good times.

https://youtu.be/-V_UCN8HTAk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD0cy6I6pfY

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
30 REPLIES 30

kojack
MVP
MVP
Very true, any cameras facing direct sun will probably be mostly blinded. I wonder what the exposure/aperture settings for the cameras are?

In the pic, the surrounding environment is fairly far away. This means minimal parallax from movement (small head movements won't have a noticeable effect on distant objects) so most tracking is going to have to focus on the ground. But those tiles are very similar to each other.

I've done a bunch of photogrammetry and panorama generation. Things like grass are hard to track for software that can take minutes to process one frame. Doing it in real time is tricky.

Once I get my Rift-S and Quest I'll do some tests with my logging software (current Oculus Monitor can record all head and hand tracking and export to files in Blender for playback and analysis). I've got some ideas for testing world scale drift, repeatable coordinates and hand tracking coverage.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

VRgamesterZ
Explorer
Games aren't made for big areas? Are you serious did you really just say that, to walk around as much as you can instead of locomotion use or teleport. Inside/out means u can if u have the room, i know the chaperone has a max od 25x25 but when off HELL yeah...When you get one, go use a gym's open space and see how much fun you will have.

Nekto2
Superstar

kojack said:

Once I get my Rift-S and Quest I'll do some tests with my logging software (current Oculus Monitor can record all head and hand tracking and export to files in Blender for playback and analysis). I've got some ideas for testing world scale drift, repeatable coordinates and hand tracking coverage.

Could you do some tests with a mirror near headset?

It would be great if Quest/RS will recognize itself in a mirror and will do outside-out tracking :lol:

pyroth309
Visionary
I watched a Vid of MRTV using a Quest in shady areas last night and It worked great...but even a single ray of sunlight coming through the trees blinded the system and messed up his tracking. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVF0RryZvZc

kojack
MVP
MVP
Hmm, so I guess if we want to use it outdoors in the sun...

ya54blrjw04o.jpg

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Well if i wanted to use it outdoors in the sun i'd have to leave my home county.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Fishstaebchen
Protege
OMFG. Take a look at this: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgThraJMxvw

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Lol @ those commando rolls for the drama.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Commando rolls are also good for keeping the body in shape dude lol

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Well yeh, but I played and beat Apex Construct on the Rift, and not once did I think to myself...Damn if I could commando roll here this would be so much better hehe but whatever floats his boat. However, I really like what this guy is doing. It's the ultimate "arena-scale" dream.  As I mentioned before. I made a thread about this exact scenario on the Quest Reddit sub and was met with smart-arsed nausea inducing comments from the VR experts there.  I learned quick to keep my opinions to myself there. At least one person is living the dream. I can't wait to try this myself at some point.

Side Note. We need From Other Suns on the Quest. Any news on that anyone?