cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i trimmed my rift face mask to make my glasses fit better

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
there is the part on the rift face mark that rubs the glasses and squeezes the glasses against the head making glasses very uncomfortable.

so i took a small crafting hacksaw, and some pliers and depending on your skill you wont need anything but the small hacksaw, and some scissors to trim the thin plastic.

trim the thin plastic using the house scissors, then the hard plastic is trimmed by the hacksaw. wear some gloves in case you hand slips. and dont be too rough or the face mask might snap in two. you want to trim enough off the glasses can wiggle comfortably when you wear them in the rift, trim both sides of the face mask;

uxnd57y1n21w.jpg
23 REPLIES 23

Digikid1
Consultant
You must have thick glass frames then. Everyone I know can use the Rift with glasses has no issues whatsoever. 

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
my ipd is 72 so i do have a big head.

Digikid1
Consultant
You know that you can get lens inserts for all rift products so that you can still use the rift without glasses?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Did you use a hedge cutter to trim it 😛

Good idea if it works, but it will invalidate your warranty.

YoLolo69
Trustee

Some did that long time ago, best DIY for my CV1, far more comfortable with glasses at the cost of some light entering through my back but as I'm always in the dark it's not a big deal.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

HiThere_
Superstar
I cut mine off too. In my case nobody around me could fit his casual glasses inside the faceplate, including myself.

Yes, some light does come through when the screens are dark, but :
1) You could put something there to block that light off.
2)
You don't need to, because as soon as as the screens light up, the
backlight is no longer an issue : Same thing as the nose gap.

No idea why nobody thought of selling a wider faceplate replacement really.

bigmike20vt
Visionary

Digikid1 said:

You must have thick glass frames then. Everyone I know can use the Rift with glasses has no issues whatsoever. 

Really? My last 3 pairs won't go near my rift!
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Digikid1 said:

Really? My last 3 pairs won't go near my rift!

I also got special glasses for the Rift (130mm wide, fit perfectly in the CV1), and got the thinnest possible glasses - that actually was more expensive than the Rift  😄 But it works great - SDE is razor sharp  😮 - Never liked the idea of getting special inserts compared to real glasses made to fit my eyes perfectly in every way. But I've never tried to order special CV1 inserts.

My normal glasses also fit in the CV1, but it's a tight fit, still no need to destroy parts of the CV1 to use glasses. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar

Digikid1 said:

That's pretty contrary to nearly every other user on the planet. The Rift is not glasses friendly.