New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

i trimmed my rift face mask to make my glasses fit better

hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 656
Trinity
edited May 9 in General
there is the part on the rift face mark that rubs the glasses and squeezes the glasses against the head making glasses very uncomfortable.

so i took a small crafting hacksaw, and some pliers and depending on your skill you wont need anything but the small hacksaw, and some scissors to trim the thin plastic.

trim the thin plastic using the house scissors, then the hard plastic is trimmed by the hacksaw. wear some gloves in case you hand slips. and dont be too rough or the face mask might snap in two. you want to trim enough off the glasses can wiggle comfortably when you wear them in the rift, trim both sides of the face mask;

Comments

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,050 Valuable Player
    You must have thick glass frames then. Everyone I know can use the Rift with glasses has no issues whatsoever. 
  • hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 656
    Trinity
    my ipd is 72 so i do have a big head.
    You know that you can get lens inserts for all rift products so that you can still use the rift without glasses?
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,707 Valuable Player
    edited May 10
    Did you use a hedge cutter to trim it :p

Good idea if it works, but it will invalidate your warranty.
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,113
    Wintermute

Some did that long time ago, best DIY for my CV1, far more comfortable with glasses at the cost of some light entering through my back but as I'm always in the dark it's not a big deal.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,276
    3Jane
    I cut mine off too. In my case nobody around me could fit his casual glasses inside the faceplate, including myself.

Yes, some light does come through when the screens are dark, but :
    1) You could put something there to block that light off.
    2) You don't need to, because as soon as as the screens light up, the backlight is no longer an issue : Same thing as the nose gap.

No idea why nobody thought of selling a wider faceplate replacement really.

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,074 Valuable Player
    Digikid1 said:
    You must have thick glass frames then. Everyone I know can use the Rift with glasses has no issues whatsoever. 
    Really? My last 3 pairs won't go near my rift!
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,730 Valuable Player
    edited May 11
    Digikid1 said:

I also got special glasses for the Rift (130mm wide, fit perfectly in the CV1), and got the thinnest possible glasses - that actually was more expensive than the Rift  :D But it works great - SDE is razor sharp  :o - Never liked the idea of getting special inserts compared to real glasses made to fit my eyes perfectly in every way. But I've never tried to order special CV1 inserts.

My normal glasses also fit in the CV1, but it's a tight fit, still no need to destroy parts of the CV1 to use glasses. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • Comic_Book_GuyComic_Book_Guy Posts: 1,195
    3Jane
    Digikid1 said:
    That's pretty contrary to nearly every other user on the planet. The Rift is not glasses friendly.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,463
    Project 2501
    edited May 13
    RuneSR2 said:
    Digikid1 said:

I also got special glasses for the Rift (130mm wide, fit perfectly in the CV1), and got the thinnest possible glasses - that actually was more expensive than the Rift  :D But it works great - SDE is razor sharp  :o - Never liked the idea of getting special inserts compared to real glasses made to fit my eyes perfectly in every way. But I've never tried to order special CV1 inserts.

My normal glasses also fit in the CV1, but it's a tight fit, still no need to destroy parts of the CV1 to use glasses. 
    Ya the secret to having Rift-friendly glasses is to have the right dimensions (140mmx40mm rimless works well for me).  Also, like you say you want thinnest possible.  I always get these high refractive lens anyway (I think some places call these thin-and-light).  Otherwise mine would be thick as the bottom of Coke bottles, lol!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.

Digikid1 said:
    That's pretty contrary to nearly every other user on the planet. The Rift is not glasses friendly.
    I agree to some degree - if you have big glasses. 3 or 4 visitors using glasses have tried my Rift, my sons and I use glasses in the Rift, works great, lenses have no scratches after 2 years of use. But of course you have to be very careful not to scratch the lenses. Still haven't had to destroy parts of the Rift to make glasses fit ;-)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

Sadly i cant find anything anymore to support this however i am almost certain when i pre-ordered my rift there was an official line that the headset would come with 2 facial inserts INCLUDED 1 for glasses users and one for not.

I was very dissapointed when i opened my package up and found this was not the case.  my newest glasses are rimless and i was hoping they would fit in the rift, however even they wont go in.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    Digikid1 said:
    Well I disagree due to my own experience....which is all that matters to me. 
    edited May 14
    Digikid1 said:
    I wonder if there is an ethnicity difference here.?
    For instance (I hope i am not crossing any stereotype boundaries here!) at 6ft 2 and a larger frame i am above average height and build but not "look at twice" kind of size (not talking waist size here ;) )  but when i had a Filipino GF back in the day, I did look like a giant compared to most of her friends. Am fairly certain all their glasses would fit in the rift.

Project 2501
    Bigmike, what are the dimensions of your glasses?

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.

edited May 14
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Indeed, it's all about the glasses, not the head  ;)

TomCgcmfc said:
    width wise in the region of 14.5cm
    Project 2501
    TomCgcmfc said:
    width wise in the region of 14.5cm
    Well maybe next time go for ones slightly narrower.  Mine are 140mm (14cm) wide = full frontal including hinges and they fit fine.  I doubt the size of you head makes much diff.  

Mine’s pretty big and I was able to find frames that fit no problem.  I do have a couple of sets of glasses that do not fit, especially aviators.

Point I’m trying to make is that the Rift is glasses friendly if you make an effort to select the right frames, and minimum lens thickness.

Digikid1 said:
    I wonder if there is an ethnicity difference here.?
    For instance (I hope i am not crossing any stereotype boundaries here!) at 6ft 2 and a larger frame i am above average height and build but not "look at twice" kind of size (not talking waist size here ;) )  but when i had a Filipino GF back in the day, I did look like a giant compared to most of her friends. Am fairly certain all their glasses would fit in the rift.

You're tiny.  LOL!!!!!

I am 6 ft 7 inches.  Not big but slender.  I also have a large head type ( hey SOMETHING has to fit this huge brain of mine LOL ) but yes my glasses and others are titanium glasses.  They are slender and flexable.

Perhaps the other guy needs to modernize his glasses?
    edited May 15
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Well maybe next time go for ones slightly narrower.  Mine are 140mm (14cm) wide = full frontal including hinges and they fit fine.  I doubt the size of you head makes much diff.  

Mine’s pretty big and I was able to find frames that fit no problem.  I do have a couple of sets of glasses that do not fit, especially aviators.

Point I’m trying to make is that the Rift is glasses friendly if you make an effort to select the right frames, and minimum lens thickness.
    I absolutely agree that you are not wrong that some glasses fit... where i disagree with you however is that this makes them glasses friendly.
    When i am not wearing contacts, i wear glasses all the time (i am mr magoo without).... I therefore choose glasses which i like, are comfotable and most importantly i am happy with vision wise.
    I really dislike being able to see a frame or edges of my lenses at the edges of my FOV - even with these i can now i am thinking about it, but generally i do not see them.

I am not going to choose a pair of glasses based on my VR gaming headset, and a huge amount of glasses dont fit. (I am not talking Dennis Taylor glasses here)... therefore whilst yes some glasses fit, the rift is NOT glasses friendly imo.

these are similar to mine and whilst i can show horn them in, it is not really practical and they do not then sit properly on my face. https://jpopticians.com/glasses/Jaeger+245+Prescription+Glasses?

Project 2501
    Even mine were a tight fit initially.  After a week the facepad seemed to stretch a bit and now it fit perfectly!

The Rift is only glasses friendly for those that try to make them friendly imho.

• OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 585
    Neo
    Maybe in future Vr tech they will have the ability to alter the lens to match the wearing vision needs, a bit like how binoculars work.
  • laudbrianlaudbrian Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    OmegaM4N said:
    Maybe in future Vr tech they will have the ability to alter the lens to match the wearing vision needs, a bit like how binoculars work.
    Similar to what you described,
    If you have a Rift S or Quest, I've been using these magnetic lens prescription adapters as they have totally changed my VR experience comfort wise, no more scratches or fog. Easy to remove if you're sharing with other users as the wife and kid have perfect eyesight. They are half the price of competitors WidomoVR, VR Optician and 3D printed just like the rest of them. All you need are these magnetic adapters https://www.etsy.com/listing/710848026/oculus-quest-rift-s-magnetic and $9.95 prescription lens from Zenni