The only "I've ordered an S or Quest" thread please - Page 4 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The only "I've ordered an S or Quest" thread please

Comments

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,535 Volunteer Moderator
    Unless you're on the 23rd and 24th shipments ;)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,598 Valuable Player
    edited May 7

2 weeks. Too early to get excited?

Just watched VR Oasis' review or Virtual desktop for the Quest, didn't even know it could do that. Should have done more research so I can get even more excited.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1809 (17763.348)
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,679 Valuable Player
    edited May 7
    It's never too early to get excited for Riftmas / Questmas.

My favorite modern holiday.
    :smiley:
    day until Rift-S and Quest launch!   It's Riftmas / Questmas Eve, y'all!
  • Sanku71Sanku71 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Hello,
    I would like this year to buy an oculus rift S because it suits me very well and I look forward to entering the virtual reality for the first time.
    But I would like to know for my future if oculus can take over the old VR headsets when we want a newer new one (but still oculus)?
  • ntwigbelsntwigbels Posts: 63
    Hiro Protagonist
    An DK2 and CV1 owner/user decided to stay in the Oculus camp and ordered both a Quest and Rift S. Why both? Because wanted best of both worlds. The Rift-S for racing sims and PC games. The Quest for fun games like Beat Sabre and/or need more space (which I don't have near my PC) and also for showing VR to family and friends. I'm pretty excited and reviews like VR Oasis' making me more so ;)
    NerveGear
    I too hesitated between a Rift S and a Quest as I would only have money for one helmet, but finally the Rift S looks really good, even if it is not a big big evolution with respect to certain articles, that satisfies me entirely. Ps: I have a disability (wheelchair), I'm French and I'm more like PC (if someone could answer my first post it would be nice) ;) 
  • ntwigbelsntwigbels Posts: 63
    Hiro Protagonist
    Sanku71 said:
    Hello,
    I would like this year to buy an oculus rift S because it suits me very well and I look forward to entering the virtual reality for the first time.
    But I would like to know for my future if oculus can take over the old VR headsets when we want a newer new one (but still oculus)?
    I don't think so, but you can still try to sell it on the second hand market yourself.
    NerveGear
    edited May 8
    Hello, in order to know the selling price, how much could I sell a VR headset ? Does the headset get sold in the same price or lower ?
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,535 Volunteer Moderator
    All depends in the type, condition, age and any other factors. Either sell it to a friend or ebay
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

NerveGear
    Thanks a lot, I have what I wanted
  • Star-lizardStar-lizard Posts: 261
    Nexus 6
    edited May 8
    Reddit post on a rift s

"Display :
    The first thing I noticed when I got in the rift was the clarity. Damn, what an upgrade coming from the Vive. I know that the vive isn't the best considering pixel fill and resolution, but holy **** I was stunned. The most impressive thing in the clarity I think is the Pixel fill and the new Lenses (which are reallly great!). There isn't much a resolution bump coming from the vive, but at first, even when concentrating in the Oculus white room, I couldn't distinguish individual pixels. It seems that white pixels fill the display the most. I could see a really dim and diffused "grid" but it's another league coming from the vive. With small text, you can still make out individual pixels, even with diagonal lines (which reveal the aliasing of the display), but as soon as you take your mind off of it, it disapears. Like I said, there isn't a huge bump in resolution so don't expect a "retina" display in VR yet. IN LENS COMPARAISON HERE: https://imgur.com/gallery/mOJ29ij. In my opinion, for the screen door effect, Oculus really makes up for what was unpleasant distraction with the vive, becomes a forgettable detail with the Rift S.
    For the contrast, the Vive and it's OLED display has the edge when it comes to "pitch black" contrast. I wouldn't say it's a problem with the Rift S. I can see that the LCD doesn't bring as dark contrast but the difference really isnt that important. They did a really good job with their choice in the LCD panel and In my opinion, could confuse people who don't know the difference with OLED. The colors are really good and the contrast and brightness is not a problem at all. Only a perfectionnist would complain about the display, and I'm not a perfectionnist so for me, Oculus won the bet switching to an LCD panel. I could not distinguish the difference between a 80hz and the 90hz display of the Vive. Only once in Beat Saber did I feel like I could use a little bit more refresh rate but I think it was my framerate issue more than a Refresh rate one.

+ Pixel Fill
    + Small resolution bump
    - Small loss in contrast"

• Neo_33Neo_33 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Preordered a rift s on the first day we could pre order at Best Buy. 
  • AntellesAntelles Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    Pre-ordered a Rift S. Seems to be the best of the bunch for me at the moment. :)
    Wondering why you chose the Rift S, considering myself.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,141 Volunteer Moderator
    dburne said:
    Now if I could just get a Display Port to HDMI adapter that would work with the Rift S I will be set. I love the convenience of being able to plug the Rift into my case front ports for HDMI and USB3. I guess I will go ahead and order one and hope it works.
    Apparently that won't work.
    "We tested HDMI to DisplayPort adapters with Rift S and found they didn’t work. We reached out to Facebook and were told that no known adapter currently has sufficient bandwidth to carry the headset’s 1440p 80Hz signal, but that could change in the future."
    Same applies to the Index.

• lensmandavelensmandave Posts: 168
    Art3mis
    Antelles said:
    Pre-ordered a Rift S. Seems to be the best of the bunch for me at the moment. :)
    Wondering why you chose the Rift S, considering myself.
    Well it looks like a nice little increase in resolution and detail rendering compared to my Rift Cv1 at an affordable price for me. 
    Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB
    CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080ti. 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.
    SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive. SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.
    Windows 10  64bit Professional
  • TheRealCyberTheRealCyber Posts: 86
    Hiro Protagonist
    It looks like my MSI laptop should work with Rift S. I'm pretty excited to try a modern backpack setup.
  • Skipper847Skipper847 Posts: 62
    Hiro Protagonist
    Ive ordered rift S to replace my Rift CV1 as it kind of broke with the right lens gets a white vertical pixelated line in dark textures when moving and puts you off. Also I'm excited about the fact that you haven't got to set the cameras up any more plus 360 degree with the hope of oculus updating the rift so you can still use cameras on the S at some point to get even more precise tracking.    
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,141 Volunteer Moderator
    It looks like my MSI laptop should work with Rift S. I'm pretty excited to try a modern backpack setup.
    My Clevo laptop has a full size hdmi and 2 full size display ports.
    The downside is that the battery life is very low (well, zero at the moment, the battery is faulty) and it weighs a ton, so backpack use will be a little problematic. :)
  • shadomshadom Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited May 10
    Do you expect big size games to come to quest or just games like beat saber...etc? I m a bit confused between 64 gb or 128 gb... hmmm.
  • ZtreakZtreak Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Preordered Rift S, and sold my Rift.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,636 Valuable Player
    OpticKing said:
    *Appears from the shadows*

Unfortunately I will only be able to get the quest atm, been having pc issues and a tight budget as life does.
    Sadly I haven't tasted vr for some time, and my muscles ache to leap back into the fray. Alas the quest will solve my issue for the time being, if it's as versatile as I'm hoping it to be.

Ps: Pokes @Zenbane jfc...

Nice to see you back on the forums! About time ffs!
    ;)
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,249
    Wintermute
    I ordered the Quest when Amazon preorders started awhile back. Went with 128gig and a travel case. Plan to use it for traveling and to take it to show friends/family VR. Not sure how much use I'll really get out of it overall but I feel like there will be some mobile only experiences that I will miss out on if Quest ends up as popular as I anticipate. 
  • hallelujahujahallelujahuja Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Someone already got, or everyone wait to 21?
  • dburnedburne Posts: 1,982 Valuable Player
    Someone already got, or everyone wait to 21?
    Think we are all still waiting.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • CongratsulationsCongratsulations Posts: 103
    Art3mis
    If you got it won’t work unless the app has been updated, which will be available on may 21st.