cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Index vs Rift S ?

JeremyC85
Heroic Explorer
I'm the type that upgrades WAY too often, and I already have the itch! 

As a loyal Oculus fanboy, the Valve Index looks phenomenal... I am having a hard time pulling the trigger on the Rift S with its compromises (mostly the audio downgrade) Is anyone jumping ship and if so, what pushed you over the edge? I love the Oculus Home and HATE steamVR with such a passion I can't see myself leaving just yet...
79 REPLIES 79

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well if you want the Index you will have to live with the itch a while longer, last I saw they were quoting like Sept for deliveries of new orders.

I went ahead and pre-ordered the Rift S.
I prefer using earbuds anyway ( have the Oculus Earbuds for my Rift), so I ordered a set of Klipsch Earbuds to use with my new Rift S when I get it. I just hope the audio processor on the Rift S is decent.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm getting the Rift S because Valve are blatantly price gouging with the Index. The Lighthouse 2.0 base stations are cheaper to produce than the 1.0 base stations (they only cost $60 to make and ship) but Valve are charging a tenner more than HTC are for their 1.0 base stations.

Valve are taking the piss and there's no way in hell that I'm going to reward them for it.

If I'm going to spend £920 on a headset I'm going to want either the resolution of the HP Reverb or the FOV of a Pimax headset. A 1600p headset with a 20° increase in FOV doesn't cut the mustard.

Instead I've got three options:

1) Buy a Rift S and an HP Reverb

2) Buy a Pimax full bundle if they don't take the piss with the price, if it's 700-800 I'll probably bite

3) Buy a Rift S this year and buy a Yaw VR Motion Simulator early next year.

Options 1) and 3) are looking joint favourites to me.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
You might have a job buying HP Reverb because it doesn't look like they will be available in the UK. I'll get a Rift -S when they come down in price. It might only cost £399, but it's the same price as the Oculus Quest that has higher resolution Oled displays. We all know Lcd screens are much cheaper, so what makes the Rift -S the same price as Oculus Quest when Oculus Quest offers so much more? I'll get a Rift -S when it drops to £300 to £350, which is what I think it's worth when you consider what the Oculus Quest has got.

Had they bumped the resolution to that of the Valve index I wouldn't mind paying the £399, but not with just the small bump they added. I get they want to cater for really low end graphics cards, but my graphics card is capable of higher resolutions, so I'm not going to bite at £399. I will get it when it comes down in price, but I'm just happy to keep my CV1 in the meantime. 

JeremyC85
Heroic Explorer
Yea the Rift-S is a bit of a head scratcher...I keep find myself saying.,if they only included.. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Someone on Reddit has had it confirmed by an HP executive that the Reverb is coming to the UK so there's no worries there. 🙂

JeremyC85
Heroic Explorer
Honestly the price doesn't concern me.. It would be missing out on the oculus home and oculus exclusives. If one got the valve index, would it be possible to use it with oculus home?? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

JeremyC85 said:

Honestly the price doesn't concern me.. It would be missing out on the oculus home and oculus exclusives. If one got the valve index, would it be possible to use it with oculus home?? 

Oculus exclusives are just to the store only - not the headset. There for - you could play them on the Index if you wish. There can be a few downsides to this though as having to 1) Use a third party software to make it work, and 2) sometimes OCulus does give out free games for their headsets. Even though 2 happen a lot last year - I have a feeling this wont be happening as much going forward as they feel more confident in their hardware and software. 1 might change as well if openVR takes off as well in the next 6 months. They are already on a release candidate so I can't see it taking much more time until Oculus adds support for other hardware.

bigmike20vt
Visionary

Mradr said:

They are already on a release candidate so I can't see it taking much more time until Oculus adds support for other hardware.

The moment this happens pretty much all my VR purchases will be made on the oculus store.  until there is official support however with proper controller mapping etc however i tend to only buy excluisves and mega special offers.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

JeremyC85
Heroic Explorer
Yea I would LOVE to use the Index with Oculus Home seamlessly until Oculus releases a true Rift 2.0