cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S vs Rift CV1 vs HTC Vive through the lens!

Jotokutora
Adventurer
68 REPLIES 68

vannagirl
Consultant

vannagirl said:

It’s what Atmos does if anyone knows an Atmos that is and if not it’s okay and carry on  😐

Do you see a lot of difference between the Rift and RiftS? 

It what area?

i do not have a rift s to test or plan to upgrade currently or am i overly techie to rip them down as you all do

I really like the reverb atleast on paper and image stills but you know as I do Atmos what is on paper and in your hand can be completely different experiences

were you finally happy with the PieMax??
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

nalex66
MVP
MVP

vannagirl said:

It’s what Atmos does if anyone knows an Atmos that is and if not it’s okay and carry on  😐

Do you see a lot of difference between the Rift and RiftS? 

I know through-the-lens photos must be taken with a grain of salt, but this looks fairly significant to me:
ngc387g6b3op.jpg

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

vannagirl said:

He's ordering an Index, so that Pimax happiness was short-lived. And it mostly lived on the forums.
😛

Anonymous
Not applicable

CrashFu said:
B )   If you think the Rift-S isn't a worthwhile visual upgrade from CV1, prepare to be disappointed by the Index;  Its resolution sounds higher on paper, but when you factor in the FoV, you realize that the pixel density is slightly lower than Rift-S, and THAT is the most important element of visual quality.

B ) Not true, it's already higher panel than Rift S or Rift - so by nature it'll already be looking better. Plus there is the fact on how they are getting that extra 20 degrees by removing some of the center over lap by angling the panels thus the PPD doesn't actually go down in this case weirdly enough because they are not really forcing a higher FOV over the lenses. That means we should except higher clarity for Text/reading.

A ) Even though they are not - they still give a reasonable amount of information even if they are zoom in a bit in how the over all image will/should improve over generation one devices for sure. Generation one devices didn't look at that good to start with so keep that in mind. Also, if I am looking at this right - it says the Vive is using GearVR lenses? That might have an effect how it used to look before. I dont remember it being that bad in SDE my self.

With that said - I think the Rift S does a pretty good job over all between the three. Can't wait to see the difference between that and the HP Rev and Index.

vannagirl
Consultant

Zenbane said:

vannagirl said:

He's ordering an Index, so that Pimax happiness was short-lived. And it mostly lived on the forums.
😛

Ahh

well theres EBay for a reason I guess.

index way too expensive for my tastes 
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:

CrashFu said:
B )   If you think the Rift-S isn't a worthwhile visual upgrade from CV1, prepare to be disappointed by the Index;  Its resolution sounds higher on paper, but when you factor in the FoV, you realize that the pixel density is slightly lower than Rift-S, and THAT is the most important element of visual quality.

B ) Not true, it's already higher panel than Rift S or Rift - so by nature it'll already be looking better.

It's not true to say that "by nature" it'll already be looking better. That's not how this stuff works. And you quoting CrashFu and saying something like that is going to turn in to the same stuff we've already seen when these debates go off the rails.
You always do this kinda thing and it never goes well.
With both you and this Atmos-style poster in the thread, we should probably get it locked asap. Nothing good is coming next lol

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:
It's not true to say that "by nature" it'll already be looking better. That's not how this stuff works.

Huh, this is how this stuff works. Higher res screens will naturally look better than a lower resolution screen. I don't follow what you mean. Vive Pro for example did look better than a Cv1 - did it not? Plus I explain further on that it is not lowering PPD - so unless you can prove other wise - it's a fact of math.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:

Huh, this is how this stuff works. Higher res screens will naturally look better than a lower resolution screen. I don't follow what you mean. Vive Pro for example did look better than a Cv1 - did it not?

The final product could have artifacts, smearing, screen door effect, god rays. So much goes in to the visuals that screens alone do not address. The Pimax 8K had a higher res that everyone, but it also had lens distortion and artifacts.

But you know all this. You just wanna start another argument.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

Mradr said:

Huh, this is how this stuff works. Higher res screens will naturally look better than a lower resolution screen. I don't follow what you mean. Vive Pro for example did look better than a Cv1 - did it not?

The final product could have artifacts, smearing, screen door effect, god rays. So much goes in to the visuals that screens alone do not address. But you know this. You just wanna start another argument.

Smearing is only a factor between LCD technologies but has been consider a non issue for a while. Screen door effect is pixel layout space between pixels - lenses can help here - but considering I am talking about resolution - it is a factor - but something a higher resolution screen will address for. God rays are a lens artifact not a resolution issue. So by nature - a higher res will look better than another lower res if all other factors are the same.

ngc387g6b3op.jpg

We know Rift CV1 has god rays - but you don't see them here - it's a focus on resolution/pixel/sde effect on the text. Rift S look pretty good from the videos and you can easily read the text even in motion I thought was pretty amazing.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
This and some other photos didn't look right to me:

419yb8ybsd15.jpg

Rift S did look horrible in that shot, and CV1 looked like a grey LCD screen - and here colors and contrast were completely off for the CV1:

djqao5n0scla.jpg

But at least the photo may show the decreased SDE on the Rift-S. Also, it's very hard to take such shots, but nice that Wood tried. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"