cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would a bigger television get me back into Pancake gaming?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I really like VR, but the lack of AAA games is making me feel I also need to get back into pancake gaming. I currently have a 42" television and I'm just wondering if I get a 55" or 65" television, if this will get me more immersed in a game like VR does? Since VR came along I've struggled to get back into 2D gaming and there's some really good pancake games that will never come to VR.

So do you think a lager screen would get me more immersed in a game or not?
288 REPLIES 288

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

nalex66 said:

I heard 15 hours for the main quest, and way more time to do most of the side content. That's fine for me, there are very few games these days that I'll commit that much time to (although I have spent over 500 hours in Fallout 4).

I don't have a spine :blush: - and was extremely close to buying Rage 2, because it's just €34 here:

https://www.cdkeys.com/rage2

But then I noticed this isn't the Steam version - I need to have some Bethesda game launcher running? I was so happy finishing Transference and getting rid of the annoying constantly-updating Uplay software. And I got a similar problem with Origin and Battlefield  :#  So the thought of having another game launcher installed, sigh... Well, maybe I should check out No Man's SKy, but Rage 2 looks so much better - and now I know it'll work flawlessly on my rig... hmmm...

Anyone getting Rage 2 this week?

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

nalex66
MVP
MVP

RuneSR2 said:

nalex66 said:

I heard 15 hours for the main quest, and way more time to do most of the side content. That's fine for me, there are very few games these days that I'll commit that much time to (although I have spent over 500 hours in Fallout 4).

I don't have a spine :blush: - and was extremely close to buying Rage 2, because it's just €34 here:

https://www.cdkeys.com/rage2

But then I noticed this isn't the Steam version - I need to have some Bethesda game launcher running? I was so happy finishing Transference and getting rid of the annoying constantly-updating Uplay software. And I got a similar problem with Origin and Battlefield  :#  So the thought of having another game launcher installed, sigh... Well, maybe I should check out No Man's SKy, but Rage 2 looks so much better - and now I know it'll work flawlessly on my rig... hmmm...

Anyone getting Rage 2 this week?

Yeah, from what I can see, all resellers are selling the Bethesda Launcher version. I already use their launcher for Fallout76, but I'd much prefer the Steam version, so I'm going to hold out for a sale direct from Steam.
I'm hopefully going to have my Quest in a week, so that will eat up my gaming time for a while. I'll see about getting Rage 2 once I've burned through some of the Quest launch content.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

pyroth309
Visionary
Not going to buy it. Ever since they announced that the game was broken up into dlc's, I've decided to wait until the whole game is released and it's on sale in a bundle. Sick of games releasing unfinished and then you sell me the rest of it...

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm definitely getting it. DOOM and Mad Max were some of my favorite games from recent years, and I liked the first RAGE (not sure why it got bad reviews). This second game looks more like what people were expecting, and it seemed to get good reviews from sites I trust. And reviews can be deceiving anyhow.

pyroth309
Visionary

I'm definitely getting it. DOOM and Mad Max were some of my favorite games from recent years, and I liked the first RAGE (not sure why it got bad reviews). This second game looks more like what people were expecting, and it seemed to get good reviews from sites I trust. And reviews can be deceiving anyhow.

Yea I enjoyed the first Rage as well and never understood the negativity. I'll eventually get Rage 2, I just hate the game break up model. I'd rather wait until the whole game is out and play through it all in one go. Plus with bethesda, hopefully by then all the bugs are fixed or at least mods are out to fix them all. I've got too many games in this day and age to need to rush for releases. 

nalex66
MVP
MVP
From the reviews I've read, the high point is the combat--very DOOM-like, which is awesome. The open world seems to suffer a bit from repetitive content, but the constant flow of upgrades for your guns, cars, and abilities keeps it fresh. I almost said "screw it" and bought it this afternoon--at least it would keep me busy while I wait for my Quest. I might bite the bullet if I keep reading reviews and watching videos. I do have a three-day weekend coming up...

CrashFu
Consultant
 Battletech was the last 2D game I really got into  (mostly because I've been a Mechwarrior nerd since I was a child.. even though I've only ever played two different Mechwarrior PC games, and the two MechAssault games on Xbox.  And briefly forayed into actual Battletech via that MegaMek thing)

After that, the only 2D games even on my radar at this point are Monster Hunter World (if it EVER stops being a Steam Exclusive on PC,  but at this point I'm pretty much giving up hope on that)  and  Borderlands 3.

...  Well, and a couple random indie games I've discovered on Itch.io.
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Other than Rage 2, the only 2D games on my radar this year are Wolfenstein: Youngblood and DOOM Eternal. 

Wildt
Consultant
Just finished Batman: Arkham Knight which I picked up for pennies on a sale. I've played all the Batman games now, and while every element from the previous games have been refined and polished, some of the new Batmobile parts were really tedious. 
Still a recommended purchase for fans of the series - especially on sale (duh).

Now started playing Far Cry: New Dawn. Looks fab and runs well - gameplay is the usual formula with a few tweaks, but that's what I wanted, so I'm happy so far. 
One of the things I love so much about this open world sandbox type of game, are those hilarious, daft accidents that happen in those crazy battles with both hostile and friendly NPC's in an environment full of explosives, vehicles and igniteable terrain everywere. Add to that crazy powerful "Monstreous" animals that'll just pwn anyone who annoys them, and you got yourself a smiley face recipe.
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

jayhawk
Superstar
For me it's always been a trade off. Being 'in the game' with SDE

RuneSR2 said:

Urgh... Rage 2 .... is dead  :# Kinda:

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/rage-2

Single player games don't die. Multiplayer games do.