cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest battery life. No reason to complain when it's almost battery life until u drop.

inovator
Consultant
 The go could have better battery life. Oculus frowns on plugging in  while playing and using portable battery's. (Makes most sense) I'm a little afraid of using my brick bad ass battery since the go gets very hot, so I limit the time. 
Now oculus gives their blessing to plug in quest to an outlet! Meaning I can clip my portable battery to my side and get plenty of hours extended time. I guess it's the fan. I'm surprised this great issue has not been brought up much. I've heard members complaining about the battery. Now you have a great solution. When using a portable battery  in a way it still is wireless. When used with my go it's very comfortable and I forget it's there.
34 REPLIES 34

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

pyroth309 said:

TomCgcmfc said:

shadom said:

But wouldn't charging while playing make it overheat and damage the internal battery ?

pyroth309 said:

What's a good battery pack to achieve this? 

I've found with my Go it's best to use the external battery pack with a fully charged Go.  That way it is only using enough power to run it, rather than run it and catch up on charging it.  If I use this pack with a discharged Go (esp. anything below ~70%) it can overheat.  I imagine this will be the same as with the Quest.

I'm using a 20000mAH iMuto battery pack and it works very well.  Still fits ok in my front shirt pocket.

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B01M8G0PVX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  

How long does that extend your Go? 

Extends it by at least ~2hrs.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

pyroth309
Visionary
So pretty much any of those cell phone battery packs will work? Is there something I need to be wary of with them? I'd like to get one that lasts longer than 2 hours. Perhaps something like this? 

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-RAVPower-32000mAh-External-Portable/dp/B06XZ6KSG3/ref=sr_1_7?keywords...

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Ya, that should work fine.  Overkill for me though and a lot larger to pack around.  

Remember that the extended runtime is on top of the Go’s internal battery runtime (1.5-2 hours).
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

pyroth309
Visionary

TomCgcmfc said:

Ya, that should work fine.  Overkill for me though and a lot larger to pack around.  

Remember that the extended runtime is on top of the Go’s internal battery runtime (1.5-2 hours).

This would be for the Quest and it's stated to last around 3 hours I think. I'd like to get 7 or 8 hours out of it total off battery as I will be gone at least 12 hours before being able to charge it in the use I have in mind. 

inovator
Consultant

pyroth309 said:

TomCgcmfc said:

shadom said:

But wouldn't charging while playing make it overheat and damage the internal battery ?

pyroth309 said:

I've found with my Go it's best to use the external battery pack with a fully charged Go.  That way it is only using enough power to run it, rather than run it and catch up on charging it.  If I use this pack with a discharged Go (esp. anything below ~70%) it can overheat.  I imagine this will be the same as with the Quest.

I'm using a 20000mAH iMuto battery pack and it works very well.  Still fits ok in my front shirt pocket.

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B01M8G0PVX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  

I have good news for you if your buying quest. It's totally different. The quest has a fan. Oculus says do not plug go in while using it. The quest comes with an extra long charge chord because Oculus says you can charge it while playing hence a battery pack can be used on quest on less than a full charge or at any charge level.

Digikid1
Consultant

inovator said:

pyroth309 said:

TomCgcmfc said:

shadom said:

pyroth309 said:

I have good news for you if your buying quest. It's totally different. The quest has a fan. Oculus says do not plug go in while using it. The quest comes with an extra long charge chord because Oculus says you can charge it while playing hence a battery pack can be used on quest on less than a full charge or at any charge level.

Oh?  I didn’t realize that the Quest came with a CHORD. Which one?

3p8sidbktahi.jpeg

Digikid1
Consultant
 😄 

inovator
Consultant

Digikid1 said:

inovator said:

pyroth309 said:

TomCgcmfc said:

shadom said:

pyroth309 said:

Oh?  I didn’t realize that the Quest came with a CHORD. Which one?

3p8sidbktahi.jpeg

Good one ! I teach music that caused my confusion. Maybe I should cut back.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I've just ordered a 10,000 mAh USB-C power pack for my Quest. (Anker PowerCore 10000 PD)
Anker PowerCore 10000 PD 10000mAh Portable Charger USB-C Power Delivery 18W Power Bank for iPhone 88XXSXRXS Max Pixel 33XL iPad Pro 2018 and More
Based on some estimates I've seen on Reddit, this should be capable of powering the Quest for somewhere between 5 to 10 hours. And, at 4.5" x 2" x 1", it should hopefully be small enough that I can fit it into the Quest carry case (it looks like there should be room between the rings of the Touch controllers).

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

inovator
Consultant
That's a monster. I have a lot 2500 (if not exact with my battery # I'm close) it will still give hours. I won't play more than a few hours in one sitting. This will last probably up to 4 hours. Yours though you can use more times without charging.