cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S vs Rift CV1 vs HTC Vive through the lens!

Jotokutora
Adventurer
68 REPLIES 68

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:

I'm not basing my purchase of the Rift S on through the lens shots though, I'm basing it on hands on reports of people on here that have owned and used the Oculus Go who said there was a clear difference in clarity between the Go and the OG Rift. What those shots HAVE done though is allayed my fears about the black levels.

If I were to order the Rift-S, it wouldn't be for the visual upgrade. It would be so that I can remove my physical sensors and enjoy the inside-out tracking and passthrough lens technology.. This is becoming a growing need recently now that I'm bringing in more entertainment devices in to my VR Room so that myself and my family can enjoy binge-watching and gaming all in one place (without interfering with VR Tracking).

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@dburne - I'm waiting for you and others to say what they think about Rift -S before deciding to get one myself. I prefer to listen to what some people on here have to say rather then watch YouTube videos. 

kojack
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:

What those shots HAVE done though is allayed my fears about the black levels.

I'd say black levels are the least trustworthy aspect of those photos, they very much depend on camera settings.

For fun, here's two photos through my CV1. Both are the same scene.
8ns13q77kgwb.jpg
cc0p0rea7men.jpg

The first is using a Lumix Gx7 with a 20mm prime lens. You can see the entire rift lens, but very limited fov due to where the camera is in order to get focus.
The second is using a Xiaomi Mi Sphere 360 panorama camera. I placed it close enough so one of its lenses could capture the entire physically possible fov of the Rift (if you put your eyeball almost right up to the lens).

I would have taken one with my 5D Mark III, but its too big to sit within the head band. 🙂

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Zenbane said:

I'm not entirely convinced (anymore) than Refresh Rates are all that important in an HMD.

I also noticed the visual clarity improvement when I increased Pixel Density on my Oculus Rift... and that was awesome. 

Agreed, I don't think many will consciously notice the change from 90 to 80 Hz/fps, other than it feels like going in the wrong direction. If there's a problem it may more be going from 45 fps asw to 40 fps asw, if the gpu can't deliver 1:1 fps/Hz. Not that the 2 x 45 fps are a great problem, but occasionally it can be - and 2 x 40 fps may be noticeably worse. 

When I'm moving I don't notice the SDE (much), and high ss levels really make the CV1 shine. I even watched some short films (Vimeo, Oculus Video), still worked nicely, CV1 is doing just fine - and the sound and black levels are still great even considering the SPUD. 

Yesterday I (again) came to the conclusion that the CV1 isn't the problem, the lack of great titles and apps is my main problem. Soon it'll be two years since Lone Echo launched, and we've seen nothing that really compares (Moss was great, but there's really no Touch). Awesome games like (potentially) Asgard's Wrath, Defector, Stormland and Lone Echo 2 are simply essential for get more people into VR, not new HMDs. People didn't stand in line for two hours at PAX South to use a HMD, they wanted to experience the games. 
I'll probably get the Index, but that's more to expand my horizon and to support the hobby - and there're a few SteamVR games I'd like to play in that HMD, including District Steel if the devs can deliver... 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

kojack said:

cc0p0rea7men.jpg

Looks razor-sharp as the Reverb, I can even see the mountains! And it's lousy ss 0.91  😄

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Ah I see more Forum warfare...
ohxtln6050bj.gif
WAAAGH!

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

@dburne - I'm waiting for you and others to say what they think about Rift -S before deciding to get one myself. I prefer to listen to what some people on here have to say rather then watch YouTube videos. 

I certainly will - hopefully not too much longer now.

RLM_Simon
Honored Guest
Here's some pics I took from my Rift S through the lenses. 
I recommend the Rift S!

At first when in the Demo "First Contact"  I felt it looked similar to the CV1. (But as soon as I loaded up some games, I noticed big improvements!
No god rays.
Awesome image quality especially with items up close. The extra sub Pixels has really changed VR for the greater good. 
Though you still see aliasing in some areas.  
80Hz display feels as smooth as the old 90Hz from CV1. 

You can see further ahead in Sim games, and read marker boards. 
Everything is a lot clearer, and more detailed. 
The tracking is spot on, and very accurate. 
Touch controllers are great, maybe a little top heavy from the halo. 

The HMD Halo design is very comfortable, compared to the Odyssey +

Now the only thing that sucks is the audio. It is flat as a pancake. So you definitely want to invest in some decent headphones. 

Check out the images from AC, ACC. PC2, RaceRoom, Robo Recall etc. (Never seen detail like this in AC using VR before!)

This is clearer than the Odyssey +
Which was a pretty good HMD.

PC Specs:
9900K @ 5Ghz
16GB 3200Mhz DDR4
GTX 1080 TI (Boosting to 2GHz)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Awesome! Thanks for taking those pictures.