Rift S vs Rift CV1 vs HTC Vive through the lens! - Page 3 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S vs Rift CV1 vs HTC Vive through the lens!

13»

Comments

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,813 Valuable Player
    @dburne - I'm waiting for you and others to say what they think about Rift -S before deciding to get one myself. I prefer to listen to what some people on here have to say rather then watch YouTube videos. 
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,955 Valuable Player
    edited May 15
    Zenbane said:
    I'm not entirely convinced (anymore) than Refresh Rates are all that important in an HMD.

I also noticed the visual clarity improvement when I increased Pixel Density on my Oculus Rift... and that was awesome. 

Agreed, I don't think many will consciously notice the change from 90 to 80 Hz/fps, other than it feels like going in the wrong direction. If there's a problem it may more be going from 45 fps asw to 40 fps asw, if the gpu can't deliver 1:1 fps/Hz. Not that the 2 x 45 fps are a great problem, but occasionally it can be - and 2 x 40 fps may be noticeably worse. 

When I'm moving I don't notice the SDE (much), and high ss levels really make the CV1 shine. I even watched some short films (Vimeo, Oculus Video), still worked nicely, CV1 is doing just fine - and the sound and black levels are still great even considering the SPUD. 

Yesterday I (again) came to the conclusion that the CV1 isn't the problem, the lack of great titles and apps is my main problem. Soon it'll be two years since Lone Echo launched, and we've seen nothing that really compares (Moss was great, but there's really no Touch). Awesome games like (potentially) Asgard's Wrath, Defector, Stormland and Lone Echo 2 are simply essential for get more people into VR, not new HMDs. People didn't stand in line for two hours at PAX South to use a HMD, they wanted to experience the games. 
    I'll probably get the Index, but that's more to expand my horizon and to support the hobby - and there're a few SteamVR games I'd like to play in that HMD, including District Steel if the devs can deliver... 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,955 Valuable Player
    edited May 15
    kojack said:

Looks razor-sharp as the Reverb, I can even see the mountains! And it's lousy ss 0.91  :D
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • dburnedburne Posts: 1,982 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    @dburne - I'm waiting for you and others to say what they think about Rift -S before deciding to get one myself. I prefer to listen to what some people on here have to say rather then watch YouTube videos. 
    I certainly will - hopefully not too much longer now.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|