cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest battery life. No reason to complain when it's almost battery life until u drop.

inovator
Consultant
 The go could have better battery life. Oculus frowns on plugging in  while playing and using portable battery's. (Makes most sense) I'm a little afraid of using my brick bad ass battery since the go gets very hot, so I limit the time. 
Now oculus gives their blessing to plug in quest to an outlet! Meaning I can clip my portable battery to my side and get plenty of hours extended time. I guess it's the fan. I'm surprised this great issue has not been brought up much. I've heard members complaining about the battery. Now you have a great solution. When using a portable battery  in a way it still is wireless. When used with my go it's very comfortable and I forget it's there.
34 REPLIES 34

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

TomCgcmfc said:

shadom said:

But wouldn't charging while playing make it overheat and damage the internal battery ?

pyroth309 said:

What's a good battery pack to achieve this? 

I've found with my Go it's best to use the external battery pack with a fully charged Go.  That way it is only using enough power to run it, rather than run it and catch up on charging it.  If I use this pack with a discharged Go (esp. anything below ~70%) it can overheat.  I imagine this will be the same as with the Quest.

I'm using a 20000mAH iMuto battery pack and it works very well.  Still fits ok in my front shirt pocket.

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B01M8G0PVX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  

I wouldn't recommend fully charging an Oculus Quest and then plugging in an external battery pack. The way to preserve your battery is to allow the battery to drain to 50% and then add the battery pack. Once it reaches 100% you then unplug the battery pack and allow it to drain to 50% again. Then every so often (maybe once a month) let it drain to 10% before adding the external battery pack. I asked a mate about this who's hobby is flying remote control planes.

You just need to make sure the battery pack will slowly charge while you are using the Oculus Quest, that's if Oculus has said it's OK to use an external battery. 

Not sure who's right about this though because I don't know much about batteries myself. You might want to contact Oculus Support if they are saying it's OK to use a battery pack.

inovator
Consultant
Oculus says you can plug into an outlet while playing. That means a battery pack is good without it having to drain 1st.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

inovator said:

Oculus says you can plug into an outlet while playing. That means a battery pack is good without it having to drain 1st.

Where does Oculus say this? I've always being led to believe you don't charge a battery when it's already fully charged. Some batteries have something inside them to prevent overcharging, but does the Oculus Quest have one of these batteries? Even if they do have this built into the battery, I still wouldn't advise charging the battery when it's already fully charged. I think Oculus need to clear this up if they are suggesting you can do this.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:

TomCgcmfc said:

shadom said:

But wouldn't charging while playing make it overheat and damage the internal battery ?

pyroth309 said:

What's a good battery pack to achieve this? 

I've found with my Go it's best to use the external battery pack with a fully charged Go.  That way it is only using enough power to run it, rather than run it and catch up on charging it.  If I use this pack with a discharged Go (esp. anything below ~70%) it can overheat.  I imagine this will be the same as with the Quest.

I'm using a 20000mAH iMuto battery pack and it works very well.  Still fits ok in my front shirt pocket.

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B01M8G0PVX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  

I wouldn't recommend fully charging an Oculus Quest and then plugging in an external battery pack. The way to preserve your battery is to allow the battery to drain to 50% and then add the battery pack. Once it reaches 100% you then unplug the battery pack and allow it to drain to 50% again. Then every so often (maybe once a month) let it drain to 10% before adding the external battery pack. I asked a mate about this who's hobby is flying remote control planes.

You just need to make sure the battery pack will slowly charge while you are using the Oculus Quest, that's if Oculus has said it's OK to use an external battery. 

Not sure who's right about this though because I don't know much about batteries myself. You might want to contact Oculus Support if they are saying it's OK to use a battery pack.

That's old fashion advice based on NiCad and nimh batteries that were subject to memory issues.  I know this since I've been flying Radio Controlled planes and heli's for +20 years.

Lithium's in devices like smartphones do not develop memory issues.  What they do not like is over-discharging and heat.  Best to avoid discharging below 20-25%.  Also best to avoid heat by providing ventilation and avoid high recharge rates.  Also, with today's smartphones/chargers/powerpacks it is impossible to overcharge their batteries imho.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Fishstaebchen
Protege
I have ordered these angled USB to USB-C cables: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07LC7WG6C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Im going to use the 1 meter long version. They fit nicely to the Quests design language.
Why dont use the USB-C cable that comes with the quest? I think the 2,5 meters are way to long. I dont want to hassle with the ultra long cable to fit in my pocket beside the powerbank. 

For mobile power-supply im going to use this Anker 10.000mAh powerbank. Its light and tiny and will fit easily into my side-pockets:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B019GJLER8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@TomCgcmfc

Says in this and a few YouTube videos not to have your mobile phone batteries kept at 100% charge.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:

@TomCgcmfc

Says in this and a few YouTube videos not to have your mobile phone batteries kept at 100% charge. 

Ya, if you watch enough YT vids you can always find someone to tell you not to do this.  Personally I have never had any problems keeping my iPhone or Go charged up at 100%.  Obviously I would not recommend leaving them on a charger indefinitely though and I think that was the most useful point made in that vid.  Again the main thing imho is to avoid over-discharging and heat.

In any case, you do what you think best mate.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@TomCgcmfc - I don't know much about batteries myself, but a mate who uses batteries suggested I charge the Oculus Quest up and then when it drains to 50% to plug in the battery pack. Once it charges to 100% with the battery pack plugged in, (or in the case of this YouTube video charge to 90%.) then you remove the battery pack and let it drain to 50% before plugging the battery pack in again.
I think it just preserves the battery by 2 or 3 years from what I've heard. Do Oculus even endorse using Oculus Quest while using it though?
@inovator Said: "Now oculus gives their blessing to plug in quest to an outlet." But where have they said this? A link to them saying this would be nice so I can have a read.

inovator
Consultant

RedRizla said:

@TomCgcmfc

Lmao totally rediculus to go through that. 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@inovator - The video was demonstrating not to have the battery kept charged at 100% all the time. That was the point I was making or did you miss that? If you read what I suggested you would know this already because I already outlined what a mate of mine told me to do. Did you seriously think I was telling you to follow the Linus example when even Linus thought it was ridiculous 😄

Can you also please link use to where Oculus have given us their blessing to have Oculus Quest plugged in when in use. I'd like to read through it. Cheers!