New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Elite Exploration

Comments

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,989 Valuable Player
    edited May 2019
    RattyUK said:
    I took my (then tanked up) T10 into an AX CZ all loaded up with cannons (Ax & Normal) and had tremendous fun, moved my rank from 60% Novice to 2% Expert.  All was fine until a double swam of Thargs appeared (a bug I gather) and ganged up on me once the NPC's had been dispatched.  But what's a 36 Million rebuy anyway?  That's the only issue with bug-hunting, the payouts, if you are not a commited cyclops killer, are trash compared to rebuy :)

You're doing this for the human race. The cash is just a nice bonus.

I still haven't taken any on yet, might get myself an FDL at some point and take it for a spin.

I've decided to reinstall Windows 10 on a fresh drive because I'm having mouse and keyboard issues so I'll get myself an FDL after I've sorted that out. Just waiting for a MicroSD reader to arrive in the post because I don't have any DVDs going spare.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 1,033
    Wintermute
    edited May 2019
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    You need Graphics Quality>FX QUALITY=OFF as that adds huge stutter. It could be a setting for 20series cards for Ray Tracing likely. It is said to be a fix soon.

I will check that out, thank you for the heads up. :smile:

Update(found my issues, i was clicking the SteamVR version of ED which for some reason was at the top of my last played list, instead of the native Oculus SDK version of ED from inside Oculus home, that is why it was running like a pig, all good again)
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,472 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    RattyUK said:
    I took my (then tanked up) T10 into an AX CZ all loaded up with cannons (Ax & Normal) and had tremendous fun, moved my rank from 60% Novice to 2% Expert.  All was fine until a double swam of Thargs appeared (a bug I gather) and ganged up on me once the NPC's had been dispatched.  But what's a 36 Million rebuy anyway?  That's the only issue with bug-hunting, the payouts, if you are not a commited cyclops killer, are trash compared to rebuy :)

I still haven't taken any on yet, might get myself an FDL at some point and take it for a spin.

I've decided to reinstall Windows 10 on a fresh drive because I'm having mouse and keyboard issues so I'll get myself an FDL after I've sorted that out. Just waiting for a MicroSD reader to arrive in the post because I don't have any DVDs going spare.
    Off topic but why not use a USB Drive?
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    Here's a song in tribute to those Explorers missing home back at Stations, and for those even at Stations still waiting for Atmospheric Landings ;) 
    (WARNING= Is Not KPOP!)

• GreymanGreyman Posts: 1,324
    Wintermute
    edited May 2019
    snowdog said:
    Do your keyboard problems show themselves by having a key press auto repeat endlessly, at least until you remake the USB connection?

ive been getting that and had put it down to my Asus mobo's apparently dodgy USB or to a failing keyboard, but as it only happens when I'm in ED, which is most of the time, I wonder if I might be missing an alternative.
    Wintermute
    edited May 2019

snowdog said:

I had that with my Mouse double-clicking too much. You need to Update your USB 3.1 Hub even though WIN10 did so already, do another search and it may add another Hub as well as. Then unplug/plugin Mouse. May do same for Keyboard.
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,191
    Wintermute
    Yesterday's patch appears to have removed the performance issue (at least for PC users) but introduced a bug or two from the distant past in the process :)
    The power management bug was also, thankfully, squashed.
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
    Digikid1 said:
    snowdog said:
    RattyUK said:

Off topic but why not use a USB Drive?

Cos I'm too tight to buy one lol :D

I did have a card reader that I bought years ago but it has died on me, I've got one on the way so will sort out the problem. I always try and completely reinstall a fresh copy of Windows every year because it's a bit of a crap operating system that needs it to continue running smoothly so I'm overdue a reinstall anyway.

Greyman said:
    snowdog said:
    Do your keyboard problems show themselves by having a key press auto repeat endlessly, at least until you remake the USB connection?

ive been getting that and had put it down to my Asus mobo's apparently dodgy USB or to a failing keyboard, but as it only happens when I'm in ED, which is most of the time, I wonder if I might be missing an alternative.

It's not an Elite Dangerous exclusive problem, it happens all the time no matter what program I'm using.

MAC_MAN86 said:

snowdog said:

I had that with my Mouse double-clicking too much. You need to Update your USB 3.1 Hub even though WIN10 did so already, do another search and it may add another Hub as well as. Then unplug/plugin Mouse. May do same for Keyboard.

Tried updating all my drivers the other day but it hasn't solved the problem.

Today I tried plugging in the receiver into my USB extension that I normally plug my HOTAS or wheel into and it seems to have solved the problem. No idea why the range has gone screwy though, I haven't added any new bluetooth devices that could be interferring with the signal, maybe one of my neighbours has bought a new device that's buggering things up.

I'll try reinstalling Windows 10 and see if it makes any difference and if not I'll just get another extension.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Wintermute
    After using FX QUALITY=OFF and apparently someone said the stutter was fixed (although now we got Orange Menu Tabs), I found stutter again in a big Ice Res and found I also needed VOLUMETRIC FX=LOW to rid it again.
    Wintermute
    Since the patch a couple of days ago the stutter has gone completely on my setup, others on the ED forum are making the same comment.
    The 'ideal' setting appears to be Ultra rather than any other setting if you are having issues :)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Wintermute
    edited May 2019

Just had pleasure in helping out a New Player to Mining Void Opals.

1. At times the Target Reticle “< >” vanished and could not get the Seismic Charges to land!
    2. Many of my Crews Charges also missed and all those continued to Countdown thus add to successful Charges and so once we started all over they were impossible to reset the Yield! Some of them went off on their own but still did not reset Yield. By that we could not begin again as any charge (even Low) on any Fissure would add to the existing ones that were not even successful hits!!!
    3. Once we cashed in over 90t of Void Opals, I got just 16mill credits and he got only nearly 900,00cr and was 1 Jump off Kalak to a System with Dabye Station paying over 377,000/t which last week was highest in Universe at over 800,000cr/t!

So that is rather shit payout that would’ve been 34million on my own!

So it works out as half to Helm and then bases the Crew on their Rank.
    NEVER AGAIN!

Oh shit, I've just started doing a load of bounty hunting missions in my Dreamboat Annie. Took on a Cutter in a Hazres and proceeded to get my arse kicked. I ended up beating him with 1% hull left lol :blush::D

Wintermute
    edited May 2019
    A Cutter? I've never seen an NPC Cutter. What is your System? Must be in Empire Space which is so sparse of Haz Res. What was it's Bounty?
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    A Cutter? I've never seen an NPC Cutter. What is your System? Must be in Empire Space which is so sparse of Haz Res. What was it's Bounty?

I think it was a Cutter, might be getting my ships mixed up. It was in Empire space and slightly smaller than my Annie.

Whatever it was its shields and armour were sponges, never seen anything like it. :o

Just had a look at the latest ship comparison video on YouTube, it wasn't a Cutter it was a Clipper. I've faced Clippers before and beaten them without a problem so I just assumed it was a Cutter lol 

I have the same problem telling cars apart too, no idea why. :blush:

I might ditch my Annie and try an FDL on for size, or maybe turn my Annie into an Exploraconder.

Wintermute
    I've used my Clipper in AXCZ's - they can 'tank' up quite nicely...
    Chieftain is more fun though :)
    Rift S
    Wintermute
    Thanks for the clarification. I've no idea why we don't see NPC Cutters and only Corvettes appear in CZs. 
    Which leads me onto last night's experience...
    I did Multicrew in a CZ (only High Intensity because I'm Elite Vet) and found my Lasers struggled to kill Eagles like they do in HAZ RES within 2secs! I noticed my gimbles were not tracking them but did so on bigger Ships. It was apparent they were using Engineered Upgrades especially for Defences only to jam gimbles and boost shields. No Ships were as easy to kill even with 2 extra Fighter Crew!
    OK so that makes these as they really should be as Navy Builds but without any Weapon Upgrades at all. It all just felt a bit long winded and I only took on the Kill 40 Massacre Mission. If I took on 90 that would've bored the hell out of me. I think the changes to this frankly are NOT ACCEPTABLE.

My idea for CZs was to add NAVY ROLES in pre-built Loadouts (loaned Ships) as that would mean you all set out as a Squadron and it balances perfectly for new players especially! Why are they taking on Mercenaries in our own Ships? Why make NAVY RANK missions just 1 off jobs that mean nothing to be NAVY e.g. a Courier Mission to rank up. Why NAVY RANKS are never demoting to cancel what Major Faction you go with? None of it makes any sense!!!
    Wintermute
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    Thanks for the clarification. I've no idea why we don't see NPC Cutters and only Corvettes appear in CZs. 
    Which leads me onto last night's experience...
    I did Multicrew in a CZ (only High Intensity because I'm Elite Vet) and found my Lasers struggled to kill Eagles like they do in HAZ RES within 2secs! I noticed my gimbles were not tracking them but did so on bigger Ships. It was apparent they were using Engineered Upgrades especially for Defences only to jam gimbles and boost shields. No Ships were as easy to kill even with 2 extra Fighter Crew!
    Folk complained they were too easy, now they have been made tougher, folk complain...

So let me get this right:  You are Elite combat and find toughened opponents unfair?  I'm expert and fight in AXCZ's and just get on with it...
    Rift S
    Wintermute
    The complaint is 90 Ships is not practical so it voids taking on those high paid Missions. Try it mate. It has nothing to do with ability nor your build. Every Ship will take you over a minute including the smallest Eagle.
    I am genuine in all my complaints. I only serve to help as they have seriously no idea of balancing anything. There was nothing wrong with the way it was. However, more than just 1 on1 attacks from NPC is absolute rubbish!
    Again, I give in!
    I'm more than happy having more difficult opponents. I think they've got the balance just about right.

Wintermute
    edited May 2019
    Cool @snowdog so how long did it take you to complete killing 90 Ships in a CZ on a Massacre Mission or did you not bother to go find out? It isn't a Winged Mission but of course take 2 Crew in Fighters.
    Wintermute
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    The complaint is 90 Ships is not practical so it voids taking on those high paid Missions. Try it mate. It has nothing to do with ability nor your build. Every Ship will take you over a minute including the smallest Eagle.
    I am genuine in all my complaints. I only serve to help as they have seriously no idea of balancing anything. There was nothing wrong with the way it was. However, more than just 1 on1 attacks from NPC is absolute rubbish!
    Again, I give in!
    So don't do the 90 ship missions...  no-one is forcing your hand to do so :)
    But don't bleat because the difficulty has gone up and you can't handle it!  Why not fly out to Colonia (where I am currently) and lend a hand in advancing their engineers?

I'm just amused by the fact NPC's will run away from my ship rather than stay and fight - for the record, massacre missions and their ilk have never appealed to me - I like to have random fun in the game :)
    Rift S
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    Cool @snowdog so how long did it take you to complete killing 90 Ships in a CZ on a Massacre Mission or did you not bother to go find out? It isn't a Winged Mission but of course take 2 Crew in Fighters.

I started a Wing bounty hunting mission the other day to kill 35 pirates and have done 23 in a few hours, although only half a dozen were in a Hazres because I chickened out after being left with 1% armour so switched to Hires for a bit.

I hadn't done much combat for a while so I've had to get used to things again, I'm going back to a Hazres to finish off later.

It should also be noted that I don't have keys assigned for my ship defences yet lol, so I've put myself at a disadvantage :D

I might finish off this mission then go for an FDL I think, not too happy with the Anaconda. I'll keep it and turn it into an Exploraconda I think.

Wintermute
    edited May 2019
    HazRes are still as easy. CZs are now daftly Engineered Defence/Shields but not weapons. They are not a threat to us but take way too long is the criticism. They were fine before the Update as 90 Ships was a practical Mission. Now is NOT. Anyways as this is "Explorers" thread, I just wanted to point out for this change in "Combat" if you were fool enough to take on 90 Ship Massacre Kill Mission. Glad to provide you the heads up is all .

BTW @snowdog if you max out your Conda plus Engineer but use 1 Class lower PowerPlant for mass/thrust ratio it can turn very fast, especially with FA=OFF & Boost which the Cutter doesn't allow, it does actually have more DPS over a Corvette. All 3 big Ships are just bricks as stock.

o7
    I haven't done any engineering yet on any of my ships apart from my weapons for a Vulture I got rid of ages ago. I had engineered MGs that also caused fire damage as a nice bonus.

I keep on meaning to engineer stuff but I haven't got around to it yet.

I also haven't done the Ram Tah missions yet for the Guardian goodness.

Might do some engineering before I start turning Dreamboat Annie into an Exploraconda.

Wintermute
    edited May 2019
    Bug reported:
    "The Black levels are now much lighter since the latest Update.

I know it’s because you used Codex Map and shows us in a spiral of haze but it’s rubbish compared to System Map. Even the Left Menu Pane is no longer pure Black but still is in System Map! I detest it and find it very distracting to the quality of VR!

Still the Target Reticle in Galaxy Map must make the Circle viewable by Tilt-Axis but if your go fully up or down it makes the Reticle a bigger size which PREVENTS MOUSE CURSOR & POINTING TO THE NEWLY TYPED SYSTEM WHEN HITTING “>” BUTTON OR ENTER!"
    If using a Joystick slider for that Axis we must set it to about 75% up to get tilt but avoid the issue!

Wintermute
    I've just been going mad on collecting guardian blueprints, with now just the three vessel ones to go for a full set.  

That's been a bit of a time-filler though, waiting for the next nearby Thargoid incursions, to allow me to more efficiently rank up to unlock the Shinrarta engineer and get towards my third Elite status.  In the meantime, killing the Sentinels in the Guardian sites adds to the ranking also.

Wintermute
    Has anyone figured out a way of "writing down" the codes that you hear at the eagle eye installations, when in VR?  
    Wintermute
    @Greyman - have you tried recording a video of that part of play then sitting down and listening/watching a little later?  I also wonder if Audacity could be used to capture the sound stream - not tried that :)
    Rift S
    Greyman said:
    Has anyone figured out a way of "writing down" the codes that you hear at the eagle eye installations, when in VR?  

This is why god invented the nose gap.  B)