cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Index vs Rift S ?

JeremyC85
Heroic Explorer
I'm the type that upgrades WAY too often, and I already have the itch! 

As a loyal Oculus fanboy, the Valve Index looks phenomenal... I am having a hard time pulling the trigger on the Rift S with its compromises (mostly the audio downgrade) Is anyone jumping ship and if so, what pushed you over the edge? I love the Oculus Home and HATE steamVR with such a passion I can't see myself leaving just yet...
79 REPLIES 79

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Morgrum said:

I honestly dont give a shit about the soap opera effect i was responding to how the higher def and resolution used in the past by a few movie companies actually degraded my experience.
IMAX became so real it looked fake.

My Sony TV has Motionflow XR 1000Hz and it makes all movies look like The Hobbit in 48 fps - or more. My wife said it completely ruined her beloved Harry Potter movies, because you can clearly see all the fake backgrounds and the bad CGI totally pops. This even happened watching the new movie Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald, which is real 4K, but the CGI is 2K, and often it's easy to tell (especially that green plant in his pocket, sigh). 
Personally I don't mind it - I've grown so used to the high frame rates that almost all other TVs look like they're lagging - unless these, like TVs from LG and Philips, have similar tech to increase frame rates. 
Movies with no CGI look awesome - extremely lifelike, and that's worth it all. And I love being able to see all of my favorite actors smallest skin imperfections 
😄 
It did completely ruin Alien though - so easy to see the plastic spaceship models, then again I've never - ever - seen Sigourney Weaver look more real. Feels very close to 3D and "being there".

I think Billy Lynn's Halftime Walk was the first 4K 3D movie to be shown in 120 Hz - that's gotta be amazing, and reviewers in general seemed to agree:

"The Verge even went as far to say that scenes depicting an Iraq war battle and a football game halftime show were like “looking through an impossibly-clean window,” rather than watching a screen, with the 3D “producing no eye strain whatsoever. Given the lack of blur, it was possible to discern normally imperceptible details that simply wouldn’t be visible in other movies”.

However, the writer did note that the “soap opera effect was still there,” and that the footage “seemed like it could have been pulled from some fantastic and futuristic camcorder”.

The Hollywood Reporter also noted that although “a few viewers complained that the results looked too much like video,” most of the reactions to the footage were “overwhelmingly positive”.

Naturally, when preparing for the film’s upcoming west-coast debut, the director needed to use the best cinema-projection technology available in order to present the 4K, 3D presentation at 120 frames per second per eye."

https://essentialinstall.com/commercial/ang-lee-120fps/

My dream is 3D 120Hz in 4K on a giant TV or projector - not sure 8K really matters... Then again my current setup with 4K + 100 Hz + motionflow is awesome, but I miss real 3D. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

CrashFu
Consultant
I think the benefits of increased framerate (in passive media / non-action games) "plateaus" at whatever point it convinces you you're looking at actual movement.  I've always been more into animation than live-action anyways, so I have a pretty high tolerance for low framerate, I guess.   (There's this CGI cartoon on Netflix right now called "The Dragon Prince"  that I'm pretty sure would make most of you guys' eyes bleed, but I'm totally into it.)

And for action games it's at whatever point you're getting an accurate enough representation of object/player positions to play effectively.   The points made about competitive action games and high-difficulty beatsaber are interesting to consider, though it's honestly still hard to imagine that milliseconds of difference in reaction times would ever have that big an impact.

I think my one biggest take-away from this thread is that I am truly fortunate to have never developed a taste for high-framerate displays, since I can get everything I need out of VR from a $400 system, while some of you will have to spend $1000 to be satisfied.   Or, I guess just wait a couple years until 100+hz HMDs are the standard, and the beefy hardware needed to run them at that framerate has significantly come down in price.   Either way.  😛 
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

Luciferous
Consultant
Well I am sure you will be even happier next year when Oculus reduce its next headset to 70hz 😉

pyroth309
Visionary

And for action games it's at whatever point you're getting an accurate enough representation of object/player positions to play effectively.   The points made about competitive action games and high-difficulty beatsaber are interesting to consider, though it's honestly still hard to imagine that milliseconds of difference in reaction times would ever have that big an impact.

Yes it would only have any noticeable effect at the highest levels of game play. The thing is, all of the milliseconds of delay add up. From the input lag of the control device, to the display itself, to compression (if any), to your internet latency and then to your reaction time to the information presented. In quick twitch gaming milliseconds do matter.

For casual play/playing for fun 60hz/60fps is enough on a monitor. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Well I am sure you will be even happier next year when Oculus reduce its next headset to 70hz 😉

No doubt you'll still be here next year checking in. As all the ex-Oculus owners do.
😉

Luciferous
Consultant
Highly likely, I'll probably still be waiting for an Index video. 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear Oculus, after reading about the Soap Opera Effect on your official forums I snagged my brother's wife. Now NONE of my family will talk to me any more. Thank you.

kojack
MVP
MVP

when Oculus reduce its next headset to 70hz 😉

The Quest is 72Hz, so for many people that is approximately true. 🙂
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar
The Quest isn't the future. It's an appeasement. 80 or 90hz on a SOC no better than a Galaxy S8 would have been hard.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

The Quest isn't the future. It's an appeasement.

A prediction that will likely prove completely false. Rift has already adopted Quest's design by going inside-out tracking, and HTC has their own version as well with the Vive Cosmos. After 3 years of VR on the mainstream and barely making a blip on the global consumer radar... if Quest isn't showcasing the future then that would mean VR has not future. Stand-alone VR that removes stationary external tracking hardware most certainly represents the future, as has been dictated by  the market itself.

Index is following in the footsteps of the Vive Pro and Pimax 8K, which has proven to have remarkably low numbers.