cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Index vs Rift S ?

JeremyC85
Heroic Explorer
I'm the type that upgrades WAY too often, and I already have the itch! 

As a loyal Oculus fanboy, the Valve Index looks phenomenal... I am having a hard time pulling the trigger on the Rift S with its compromises (mostly the audio downgrade) Is anyone jumping ship and if so, what pushed you over the edge? I love the Oculus Home and HATE steamVR with such a passion I can't see myself leaving just yet...
79 REPLIES 79

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar

Zenbane said:

The Quest isn't the future. It's an appeasement.

A prediction that will likely prove completely false. Rift has already adopted Quest's design by going inside-out tracking, and HTC has their own version as well with the Vive Cosmos. After 3 years of VR on the mainstream and barely making a blip on the global consumer radar... if Quest isn't showcasing the future then that would mean VR has not future. Stand-alone VR that removes stationary external tracking hardware most certainly represents the future, as has been dictated by  the market itself.

Index is following in the footsteps of the Vive Pro and Pimax 8K, which has proven to have remarkably low numbers.

Uh, I think you misunderstood my post. Read my second sentence, not just the first one. I  mean 72 hz isn't the future. Not sure how you got that I'm arguing against wireless or some such. I'm just saying the Quest's limitations are pretty big ones. Wireless VR...of course it's the future. But not on a SOC from 2017 , @ 72hz. Not sure why so many people are SO excited for a HMD powered by a smart phone SOC. Yay I guess?

Valve made strange decisions with the Index. 144hz VR is a useless feature. Pimax is a piece of crap with bad quality control and the sweet spot is no bigger than any other head set. Vive Pro is too expensive and typical of HTC. We will be watching them go under at this rate.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Uh, I think you misunderstood my post. Read my second sentence, not just the first one. I  mean 72 hz isn't the future. Not sure how you got that I'm arguing against wireless or some such.

Yeah it sounded like you were dismissing Quest altogether in the first sentence, and then bringing up its hardware specs in a negative way to just further condemn it. So yep, I misread. My bad.

I'm just saying the Quest's limitations are pretty big ones. Wireless VR...of course it's the future. But not on a SOC from 2017 , @ 72hz. Not sure why so many people are SO excited for a HMD powered by a smart phone SOC.

I agree that, technically, Quest shouldn't be all that glorious. I think that the heavy commitment to bring PCVR content over plays a big role in the acclaim it receives.

Comic_Book_Guy said:
Valve made strange decisions with the Index. 144hz VR is a useless feature. Pimax is a piece of crap with bad quality control and the sweet spot is no bigger than any other head set. Vive Pro is too expensive and typical of HTC. We will be watching them go under at this rate.

Luciferous
Consultant

kojack said:

when Oculus reduce its next headset to 70hz 😉

The Quest is 72Hz, so for many people that is approximately true. 🙂

Damn it, I blew my trash talk...knew I should gone for 50hz

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

kojack said:

Even though I'd love 120 Hz or better in VR games like Lone Echo, truth is I'm more or less used to just 45 fps asw. One thing is what I want for fps, the other is what I have to endure to enjoy the best image quality. When it comes to fps vs. ss I feel I often have to do something like this :blush:

https://youtu.be/YvotR3WuVzE

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Luciferous
Consultant
You have to dress up in spandex?  😄

pyroth309
Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

kojack said:

Even though I'd love 120 Hz or better in VR games like Lone Echo, truth is I'm more or less used to just 45 fps asw. One thing is what I want for fps, the other is what I have to endure to enjoy the best image quality. When it comes to fps vs. ss I feel I often have to do something like this :blush:

Yea, in a lot of games that I play, I won't be worried about refresh rate because I'm going to be pushing my GPU to the limits until Nvidia comes out with another tier. I also feel like resolution at this point is more important than refresh rate for the average use until we get rid of SDE and also get some beefier GPU's. (Unless the Index lenses are working some magic)

I don't agree that refresh is useless though, especially with the low persistence of the Index panels. 144hz should make for a super fast and smooth experience and I love that we have the option to cater the headset to whatever type of game that you're playing. If I'm playing something competitive I'm going to opt for higher refresh with lower graphics quality and likewise I'll run 80hz with motion smoothing down to 40 on the other end. I am looking forward to pushing both extremes and see what the index can do and I hope I can switch them on the fly or without a lot of issues. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

pyroth309 said:

RuneSR2 said:

kojack said:

Yea, in a lot of games that I play, I won't be worried about refresh rate because I'm going to be pushing my GPU to the limits until Nvidia comes out with another tier. I also feel like resolution at this point is more important than refresh rate for the average use until we get rid of SDE and also get some beefier GPU's. (Unless the Index lenses are working some magic)
I don't agree that refresh is useless though, especially with the low persistence of the Index panels. It should make for a super fast and smooth experience and I love that we have the option to cater the headset to whatever type of game that you're playing. If I'm playing something competitive I'm going to opt for higher refresh with lower graphics quality and likewise I'll run 80hz with motion smoothing down to 40 on the other end. I am looking forward to pushing both extremes and see what the index can do and I hope I can switch them on the fly or without a lot of issues. 

Exactly - it's about having options and not being forced to use some specific Hz. In singleplayer high-end PCVR games I prefer the best possible image quality and 144 Hz probably will not be an option. 

To name a few games, Beat Saber and Flappy Flappy VR should be perfect candidates for 144 Hz gaming  😉 Actually there're tons on small indie games in VR with super-low system requirements, most should work perfectly in 120 or 144 Hz. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar

pyroth309 said:
I don't agree that refresh is useless though, especially with the low persistence of the Index panels. 144hz should make for a super fast and smooth experience and I love that we have the option to cater the headset to whatever type of game that you're playing. If I'm playing something competitive I'm going to opt for higher refresh with lower graphics quality and likewise I'll run 80hz with motion smoothing down to 40 on the other end. I am looking forward to pushing both extremes and see what the index can do and I hope I can switch them on the fly or without a lot of issues. 

Of course the high refresh would be nice. But nobody has the hardware to make use of it without putting everything on low, or outside of  low effort N64 graphics indy titles. I don't see that changing any time soon.

Luciferous
Consultant
I read an article where they said they had played No Mans Sky at 144hz. Don't ask me how but that was by one of the choosen few index reviewers. Norm from tested also said he saw apps in 144hz. I think he said watching movies in a theater type app.

I just bought No Mans Sky as its on 50 percent off on steam, didn't have much else to do and I reckon it wont be on sale once it does release.

pyroth309
Visionary

pyroth309 said:

Of course the high refresh would be nice. But nobody has the hardware to make use of it without putting everything on low, or outside of  low effort N64 graphics indy titles. I don't see that changing any time soon.

Well you just summed up competitive gaming on PC monitors lol. Hop on twitch and watch someone playing CSGO and it looks like crap but they're getting them 240 fps.  B)

It's just a nice option to have. 

I think 120hz would be doable to maintain good looking graphics especially with a 2080TI or the upcoming GPU's.