cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
516 REPLIES 516

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Don't be, just understand the perspective from HP that their focus is purely Enterprise at present. The consumer version is a nice bonus for ethusiastic VR consumers. Yet the way some people are behaving is simply letting everyone else down. This latest rumor is simply a good examlple of the prevalence of fake news and how it manifests itself because one person looks at 2+2=1. Having lived through over a year of how Pimax handled their products you and I both should be more understanding. I get the excitement though, I am party to that. I also get it's frustrating HP aren't as forthcoming with info. But this is the electronics industry where info shared to consumers at least is always very limited. The fact we have a few public reviews now does mean we're getting close.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear HP, I don't give a fuck what that @Shadowmask72 bloke says. Fuck you, I'm buying a Vive. 😛 😄

Jotokutora
Adventurer

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Looks really good, but with those controllers it's definitely sim only. I also think minimum spec is a Geforce 1080Ti, but you would probably need a geforce 2080Ti. I'll be getting one of these when I upgrade my Graphics card, which won't be until geforce 7nm cards are out. By that time we might have a new VR headset though. 

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I am just flabbergasted that they go on, and on and on and on about the WMR controllers but fail to mention the many VR games that are playable with the Xbox One gamepad. They also didn't mention movie viewing, 3D content or experiences that aren't games.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I am just flabbergasted that they go on, and on and on and on about the WMR controllers but fail to mention the many VR games that are playable with the Xbox One gamepad. They also didn't mention movie viewing, 3D content or experiences that aren't games.

Well they have to keep it apples-to-apples. I've always loved using a Gamepad in VR, but when comparing Hand-Controllers we've moved in to the genre of hand-tracking which has entirely different expectations. The top VR software titles are all about hand-tracking, not gamepads.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

I don't think you will ever get a good idea of how good a headset is until you own it yourself. I think the Tested screen shots says it all really. They show a close up image with Rift CV1 and then compare it with an image taken further away on Rift S & HP Reverb. Close up images are always going to look worse are they not?

How do movies work in VR, is it all to do with pixel count for them to look great?

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
The Rift S and OGRift and Vive and no doubt the upcoming Index which they referenced all can use Xbox One controllers.  Whilst motion controllers might offer a more immersive experience, it's not the be all and end all of VR. My point was, if they think the WMR wands are so piss poor why not mention that a slew of games can be played without them for those who might be concerned.  They kind of touched on it a little with the talk of specific controllers for sims but they could have said more.  They make it sound like the Reverb is just severely crippled because of those controllers.

MowTin
Expert Trustee

Zenbane said:

Well they have to keep it apples-to-apples. I've always loved using a Gamepad in VR, but when comparing Hand-Controllers we've moved in to the genre of hand-tracking which has entirely different expectations. The top VR software titles are all about hand-tracking, not gamepads.

You forgot Joysticks / HOTAS and sim racing wheels/pedals. For a lot of people, those are the games they care most about. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

The Rift S and OGRift and Vive and no doubt the upcoming Index which they referenced all can use Xbox One controllers.  Whilst motion controllers might offer a more immersive experience, it's not the be all and end all of VR.

i'm not sure why you would say that considering that the top selling VR Games involve motion controllers: Beat Saber, Superhot, SkyrimVR, Arizona Sunshine, FalloutVR, Gorn. Not to mention the eSport competitions for the Echo series and Onward. All designed for motion controllers.

I suppose it is true that hand-controllers are not the "be all end all of VR," but that doesn't mean that crappy controllers get a free pass on critique. Besides, HP Reverb does NOT ship with a Gamepad. So I have no idea why you think a Review about HP Reverb should include products from another company that aren't even part of the original packaging. Sorry buddy, but that just makes little sense.

They make it sound like the Reverb is just severely crippled because of those controllers.

Okay, but if your argument is that Reverb is best experienced with a Gamepad, then you just made an argument that HP Reverb is a severely crippled product.