cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
516 REPLIES 516

logotomie
Expert Protege
Besides, HP Reverb does NOT ship with a Gamepad. So I have no idea why you think a Review about HP Reverb should include products from another company that aren't even part of the original packaging. Sorry buddy, but that just makes little sense.

Funny how you put words in his mouth. I do not see any request to include gamepads into the review.

Okay, but if you're argument is that Reverb is best experienced with a
Gamepad, then you just made an argument that HP Reverb is a severely
crippled product.

Right, and even worse, it comes without a computer! Totally crippled!
Since when is a product crippled if it does not ship with hardware you own anyway already.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is nobody here talking about the godawful black levels..?

That video review has convinced me NOT to go for the Rift S and Reverb combo I was considering.

Rift S and Yaw VR Motion Simulator for me it is then!  B)

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I mention that Zen because the review makes it sound like the WMR controllers are the be all and end all of the experience provided by the HP Reverb which as I pointed out isn't the case. They spent a lot of time focusing on how bad the controllers are. Sure that's understandable as it ships with the product and HP could have made some new controllers - they are reviewing the product as is. But there are other options (in the same way people can add comfort options facefoams etc and their own pair of cans for example) which is what I am getting at here. Playing with a gamepad isn't a dirty word and something most people have or can acquire at little cost. Tested played that aspect down considerably in my opinion. 

I've not said the Reverb is best experienced in any particular way or with any specific controller configuration, in fact from my experience with the WMR wands playing Fallout 4 VR I had no major issues using them but that's just me. What I am saying is though that they paint a picture that doesn't tell the full story. What is best doesn't come into it, rather there are options for those who might not enjoy those controllers. They did mention the rather convoluted and expensive option of using other controllers instead such as the Index knuckles if desired. 

@snowdog yep something looked off with the colours and brightness in the comparison images. 

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

logotomie said:

Besides, HP Reverb does NOT ship with a Gamepad. So I have no idea why you think a Review about HP Reverb should include products from another company that aren't even part of the original packaging. Sorry buddy, but that just makes little sense.

Funny how you put words in his mouth. I do not see any request to include gamepads into the review.

You are incorrect. This is what he wrote:
"I am just flabbergasted that they go on, and on and on and on about the WMR controllers but fail to mention the many VR games that are playable with the Xbox One gamepad."

This is a discussion about a specific Review. The only place that they "go on and on about the WMR controllers" is in the Review. The only place they failed to mention the gamepad is in the review. No one is putting words in anyone's mouth. I just understand the conversation.

logotomie said:

Okay, but if you're argument is that Reverb is best experienced with a
crippled product.

Right, and even worse, it comes without a computer! Totally crippled!
Since when is a product crippled if it does not ship with hardware you own anyway already.

I never suggested such a thing. Read it again:
" if you're argument is that Reverb is best experienced with a
crippled product."

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I mention that Zen because the review makes it sound like the WMR controllers are the be all and end all of the experience provided by the HP Reverb which as I pointed out isn't the case. They spent a lot of time focusing on how bad the controllers are. Sure that's understandable as it ships with the product and HP could have made some new controllers - they are reviewing the product as is. But there are other options (in the same way people can add comfort options facefoams etc and their own pair of cans for example) which is what I am getting at here.

Right, other options from other vendors that are outside the scope of this review. It makes sense that they would focus their HP Reverb review on what ships with the HP Reverb.

Playing with a gamepad isn't a dirty word and something most people have
or can acquire at little cost. Tested played that aspect down
considerably in my opinion.

But this is a review about HP Reverb.

What I
am saying is though that they paint a picture that doesn't tell the
full story.

It is the full story in regards to what you get when you buy the HP Reverb. Sure we can add to that story by purchasing other products from other vendors, but that's outside the scope of what is being addressed. I mean, you can buy a car that breaks down every day... just because you spend more money to get it working right doesn't mean that the car was great from the beginning. I think you are mixing together the concept of "the full story" with the notion of "adding new elements to a story." They did tell the full story, but you want them to add new elements to the story.

What is best doesn't come into it, rather there are options for those who might not enjoy those controllers.

Yes, and one of those options is... avoid purchasing the Reverb. Which, based on all the issues coming out of this product launch, I highly recommend.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
@Shadowmask72 here's another good way to think about this controller issue from the perspective of technology:

A compensating control, also called an alternative control, is a
mechanism that is put in place to satisfy the requirement for a security
measure that is deemed too difficult or impractical to implement at the
present time

https://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/compensating-control

What the Review has done is present the HP Reverb hand-controllers as hardware that doesn't mean any present day practicality. And what you have done is state that they should put more emphasis on the fact that a gamepad can serve as a compensating control.

My position is straight forward:
  • A review about a product only needs to address its impractical nature, not the compensating controls that attempt to satisfy the product's shortcomings.
  • If this product is relying on a compensating control at launch... then avoid it! It's serving up a poopoo platter, and no one should be that hungry.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Ouch. Well rather than use compensated perhaps alternative is a better fit?

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

pyroth309
Visionary

I am just flabbergasted that they go on, and on and on and on about the WMR controllers but fail to mention the many VR games that are playable with the Xbox One gamepad. They also didn't mention movie viewing, 3D content or experiences that aren't games.

Well I can't blame them for going on about the WMR controllers, the default ones do indeed suck...bad. The O+ ones suck too but a bit less lol. They have to warn all the new people who are just trying to buy a new VR headset and are just going for the highest resolution one. The majority of people buying a headset aren't buying one to play with a gamepad in 2019. I thought they circled around well at the end and pointed out that it's for people with their own control setup which would include gamepads. They pointed out HOTAS and Driving wheels specifically which is where this headset will shine.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear HP, after reading on the official Oculus forums that the HP Reverb is great for sims I ordered one only to find that it didn't work with ANY of my strategic life-simulation video games developed by Maxis and published by Electronic Arts. Fuck you, I'm buying a Vive.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm NEVER going to run out of these things lololol  😄