Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elite Exploration

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Getting well  into my second month of exploration along this route:

3rv31vbcbl36.jpg

If you get fed up with bugs or mundane missions in the Bubble, it's well worth heading out into the black. Taking your time, doing a sesh whenever you feel like it, with no stress, no time constraints or targets - just cruise and do what you like. I'm out here with Commander Hazardous Matt and another companion, and so far my undiscovered system count is at 134. Yes, that's 134 systems that will have my commander name on them - and an awful lot top-up for the bank, and I'm nowhere near the end of the journey yet.

First, we met up at the "bottom" of the galaxy (or top, depends which way you look at it!) and then headed towards the Lagoon Colonia Highway stop. From there we headed out towards the NGC/War & Peace Nebula. There were quite a few undiscovered systems along the way - but not much that was spectacular or particularly noteworthy - just regular systems, 65 undiscovered in all. When we got to NGC, I found that all of the systems from 20LY out had been discovered.

Whilst we sat there, wondering what to do next, I came up with the route in the picture above, and Matt was keen - so off we set. Since leaving NGC, almost every system I have come across has been undiscovered and there has been lots of nice screenshot material. Planets of all kinds of colours, werid huge gas giants and silvery, mirror-like rings, not to mention very spectacular looking nebula clouds.

Here are some screens from along the way. I'm only at stage 2 - and there are another 11 to go yet! Seey sometime around Christmas.... maybe! 😉

51blj33zs7q4.bmp

See these clouds on the galaxy map?:

fah59bqftjlt.jpg

Well, they are there in the galaxy, too:

lzr32edsnzz4.jpg
q3jobvp8y412.jpg

Planets are often coloured based on the clouds around them - like this one:

zbw88wfglwhg.jpg

A typical system, ripe for scanning and imprinting with my name:

btbjaqzq2c3q.jpg

...and in many cases, they are just a few light years from each other, all in a nice, tight cluster:

c27aoqlm6ewl.jpg

You can see the nebulae we are heading for - it's almost like joining the dots:

iyr3ed8xdh3s.jpg

these are a couple of the nicer ringed bodies - the second one is actually a shining Brown (Tauri) star and was very spectacular in-game:

i9zn3iw8jjcc.jpg

v5118iszkea0.jpg

This is where we are now - was a little reluctant to enter this aggressive looking cloud - but no worries, apart from cutting out some of the light and actually obscuring some of the neighbouring stars, it's quite harmless:

r1ea1d35dt9g.jpg

epu35yjb3yhp.jpg

All of this, not even half as far away as Colonia - so you don't have to go that far to find it, and find 'fame' in the form of your name spread across astronomical bodies in the galaxy.

And it's so much more relaxing... B)

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2
648 REPLIES 648

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm more than happy having more difficult opponents. I think they've got the balance just about right.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Cool @snowdog so how long did it take you to complete killing 90 Ships in a CZ on a Massacre Mission or did you not bother to go find out? It isn't a Winged Mission but of course take 2 Crew in Fighters.

RattyUK
Trustee

MAC_MAN86 said:

The complaint is 90 Ships is not practical so it voids taking on those high paid Missions. Try it mate. It has nothing to do with ability nor your build. Every Ship will take you over a minute including the smallest Eagle.
I am genuine in all my complaints. I only serve to help as they have seriously no idea of balancing anything. There was nothing wrong with the way it was. However, more than just 1 on1 attacks from NPC is absolute rubbish!
Again, I give in!

So don't do the 90 ship missions...  no-one is forcing your hand to do so 🙂
But don't bleat because the difficulty has gone up and you can't handle it!  Why not fly out to Colonia (where I am currently) and lend a hand in advancing their engineers?

I'm just amused by the fact NPC's will run away from my ship rather than stay and fight - for the record, massacre missions and their ilk have never appealed to me - I like to have random fun in the game 🙂
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

MAC_MAN86 said:

Cool @snowdog so how long did it take you to complete killing 90 Ships in a CZ on a Massacre Mission or did you not bother to go find out? It isn't a Winged Mission but of course take 2 Crew in Fighters.

I started a Wing bounty hunting mission the other day to kill 35 pirates and have done 23 in a few hours, although only half a dozen were in a Hazres because I chickened out after being left with 1% armour so switched to Hires for a bit.

I hadn't done much combat for a while so I've had to get used to things again, I'm going back to a Hazres to finish off later.

It should also be noted that I don't have keys assigned for my ship defences yet lol, so I've put myself at a disadvantage 😄

I might finish off this mission then go for an FDL I think, not too happy with the Anaconda. I'll keep it and turn it into an Exploraconda I think.

Anonymous
Not applicable
HazRes are still as easy. CZs are now daftly Engineered Defence/Shields but not weapons. They are not a threat to us but take way too long is the criticism. They were fine before the Update as 90 Ships was a practical Mission. Now is NOT. Anyways as this is "Explorers" thread, I just wanted to point out for this change in "Combat" if you were fool enough to take on 90 Ship Massacre Kill Mission. Glad to provide you the heads up is all .

BTW @snowdog if you max out your Conda plus Engineer but use 1 Class lower PowerPlant for mass/thrust ratio it can turn very fast, especially with FA=OFF & Boost which the Cutter doesn't allow, it does actually have more DPS over a Corvette. All 3 big Ships are just bricks as stock.

o7

Anonymous
Not applicable
I haven't done any engineering yet on any of my ships apart from my weapons for a Vulture I got rid of ages ago. I had engineered MGs that also caused fire damage as a nice bonus.

I keep on meaning to engineer stuff but I haven't got around to it yet.

I also haven't done the Ram Tah missions yet for the Guardian goodness.

Might do some engineering before I start turning Dreamboat Annie into an Exploraconda.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Bug reported:
"The Black levels are now much lighter
since the latest Update.

I know it’s because you used Codex Map
and shows us in a spiral of haze but it’s rubbish compared to System Map. Even
the Left Menu Pane is no longer pure Black but still is in System Map! I detest
it and find it very distracting to the quality of VR!

Still the Target Reticle in Galaxy Map
must make the Circle viewable by Tilt-Axis but if your go fully up or down it
makes the Reticle a bigger size which PREVENTS MOUSE CURSOR & POINTING TO
THE NEWLY TYPED SYSTEM WHEN HITTING “>” BUTTON OR ENTER!"
If using a Joystick slider for that Axis we must set it to about 75% up to get tilt but avoid the issue!

Greyman
Superstar
I've just been going mad on collecting guardian blueprints, with now just the three vessel ones to go for a full set.  

That's been a bit of a time-filler though, waiting for the next nearby Thargoid incursions, to allow me to more efficiently rank up to unlock the Shinrarta engineer and get towards my third Elite status.  In the meantime, killing the Sentinels in the Guardian sites adds to the ranking also.

Greyman
Superstar
Has anyone figured out a way of "writing down" the codes that you hear at the eagle eye installations, when in VR?  

RattyUK
Trustee
@Greyman  - have you tried recording a video of that part of play then sitting down and listening/watching a little later?  I also wonder if Audacity could be used to capture the sound stream - not tried that 🙂
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3