Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elite Exploration

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Getting well  into my second month of exploration along this route:

3rv31vbcbl36.jpg

If you get fed up with bugs or mundane missions in the Bubble, it's well worth heading out into the black. Taking your time, doing a sesh whenever you feel like it, with no stress, no time constraints or targets - just cruise and do what you like. I'm out here with Commander Hazardous Matt and another companion, and so far my undiscovered system count is at 134. Yes, that's 134 systems that will have my commander name on them - and an awful lot top-up for the bank, and I'm nowhere near the end of the journey yet.

First, we met up at the "bottom" of the galaxy (or top, depends which way you look at it!) and then headed towards the Lagoon Colonia Highway stop. From there we headed out towards the NGC/War & Peace Nebula. There were quite a few undiscovered systems along the way - but not much that was spectacular or particularly noteworthy - just regular systems, 65 undiscovered in all. When we got to NGC, I found that all of the systems from 20LY out had been discovered.

Whilst we sat there, wondering what to do next, I came up with the route in the picture above, and Matt was keen - so off we set. Since leaving NGC, almost every system I have come across has been undiscovered and there has been lots of nice screenshot material. Planets of all kinds of colours, werid huge gas giants and silvery, mirror-like rings, not to mention very spectacular looking nebula clouds.

Here are some screens from along the way. I'm only at stage 2 - and there are another 11 to go yet! Seey sometime around Christmas.... maybe! 😉

51blj33zs7q4.bmp

See these clouds on the galaxy map?:

fah59bqftjlt.jpg

Well, they are there in the galaxy, too:

lzr32edsnzz4.jpg
q3jobvp8y412.jpg

Planets are often coloured based on the clouds around them - like this one:

zbw88wfglwhg.jpg

A typical system, ripe for scanning and imprinting with my name:

btbjaqzq2c3q.jpg

...and in many cases, they are just a few light years from each other, all in a nice, tight cluster:

c27aoqlm6ewl.jpg

You can see the nebulae we are heading for - it's almost like joining the dots:

iyr3ed8xdh3s.jpg

these are a couple of the nicer ringed bodies - the second one is actually a shining Brown (Tauri) star and was very spectacular in-game:

i9zn3iw8jjcc.jpg

v5118iszkea0.jpg

This is where we are now - was a little reluctant to enter this aggressive looking cloud - but no worries, apart from cutting out some of the light and actually obscuring some of the neighbouring stars, it's quite harmless:

r1ea1d35dt9g.jpg

epu35yjb3yhp.jpg

All of this, not even half as far away as Colonia - so you don't have to go that far to find it, and find 'fame' in the form of your name spread across astronomical bodies in the galaxy.

And it's so much more relaxing... B)

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2
648 REPLIES 648

Anonymous
Not applicable

Greyman said:

Has anyone figured out a way of "writing down" the codes that you hear at the eagle eye installations, when in VR?  

This is why god invented the nose gap.  B)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Aren't messages stored in Codex somewhere?

RattyUK
Trustee

MAC_MAN86 said:

Aren't messages stored in Codex somewhere?

They are audio rather than text @MAC_MAN86  - so would need to be captured - or follow @snowdog 's suggestion to scrawl on notepaper looking through the gap 🙂

As it stands currently the Codex is still a little, shall we say, lacklustre..
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

Anonymous
Not applicable
I thought they were kept in storage to Playback anytime. Did you check the Comms Panel thoroughly?

Greyman
Superstar
It's possible, but i'm just going by the youtube videos that show the message being read out and not emailed.

I suppose a DASH-pinned notepad page and virtual keyboard might do it, but it does appear to be a little clunky and that the game designers are not yet fully on board with VR.

Greyman
Superstar
either way, thanks for all the suggestions. 

if i'm going to need to break immersion to do it anyway, i might as well just use the website that shows the already decoded messages.                                                                                                              

Anonymous
Not applicable
Virtual Keyboard won't keep any focus with the game. Look at the Comms Panel, surely they're stored in there on the added left side.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Has there been an update of some sort this last week? All my finished missions have disappeared as well as one part completed. Have lost about 15m credits altogether I think. 😞

RattyUK
Trustee

snowdog said:

Has there been an update of some sort this last week? All my finished missions have disappeared as well as one part completed. Have lost about 15m credits altogether I think. 😞

No update that I can think of apart from the bug-buster last week...
You didn't just overrun your time did you for the missions?
How is ED in the Rift S?
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

Anonymous
Not applicable
I still had a couple of days left with the one still going and had completed half a dozen or so. Maybe I should have gone back to the station and cashed them in but I'm pretty sure once bounty hunting missions are done the clock stops and you can cash in whenever you want.

Elite Dangerous with the Rift S is a bit of a double edged sword tbh. The clarity means that you aren't seeing a blurry mess but the downside of that is that the jaggies are A LOT more noticeable.

I might have a play around with the AA tomorrow I think, will probably have to turn my 1.5 super sampling down though.