Rift S smells funny — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S smells funny

SandcrackaSandcracka Posts: 82
Hiro Protagonist
Anyone else's Rift S smell like garlic?  I have a feeling it will give me a migraine. Also the face gasket padding irritates my face just like the Rift did.  I had to remove it.  I tried to use the vrology gear vr mod but the padding isn't thick enough. 

Comments

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,033
    Wintermute
    Something else seem a little smelly.   Maybe a smelly little troll, lol!
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!
  • SandcrackaSandcracka Posts: 82
    Hiro Protagonist
    This isn't a troll post but thanks for the accusation.  You will be put on my ignore list.  

Actually I found out where the smell is coming from....the rubber nose piece.  I removed it for now.  Gonna try and wash it a few times.  Hopefully the smell goes away. 
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,807 Valuable Player
    Also the face gasket padding irritates my face just like the Rift did.
    This is interesting.... for well over 1500hrs i used my CV1 without issue, then around 4 months ago i noticed if i used my rift the following day i would have red skin - looks like sunburn - on my cheeks and bridge of nose where my rift touches my face.  It seems i too have developed some sort of allergy to the material in the rift.
    I have some VR covers. i never used them as they are frankly not fit for purpose and do not fit (i asked for refund but was refused).  I am trying to sort something out with them to see if that fixes things.
    I even have  tried a brand new facial insert but that has not made a difference, so my next headset i will have to factor in the cost of a high quality cover for it.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,719 Valuable Player

The foam on the S seems to be a very different formulation. I'd say it's about a half or a third as dense so much softer. The harder rubbery plastic that the foam is mounted onto seems to be the same as CV1 and is quite a bit larger so that also makes it more flexible.

So although there's more rubber, that part doesn't touch your face... and the foam which does touch your face seems to be a very different formulation so you may be ok with this one bigmike. VR covers are a good option though in any event.

I don't notice a smell with mine but different people are sensitive to different smells.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.175)
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 1,997 Valuable Player
    I have no sense of smell I sustained a stomach injury so all I sense is acid and the contents. Only overpowering smells like smoke really.

Garlic though that is an odd smell off something new? Maybe soak in white vinegar i have read this can clear new gear smells
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,719 Valuable Player
    Sorry to hear that @vannagirl , with some of my friends though, you'd not be benefiting from smelling them
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.175)
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 1,997 Valuable Player
    Sorry to hear that @vannagirl , with some of my friends though, you'd not be benefiting from smelling them
    Ha!

roger that”

blessings and curses hahahahaha 
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,049
    Wintermute
    I've never had any issues with the Rift CV1 or Rift S face plate or smells, smell's nice to me, smells like a shiny new plastic toy  :)
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,307 Valuable Player
    Can't say I have noticed too much of a smell in my Rift S, not like I had in the CV1.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,033
    Wintermute
    vannagirl said:
    I have no sense of smell I sustained a stomach injury so all I sense is acid and the contents. Only overpowering smells like smoke really.

Garlic though that is an odd smell off something new? Maybe soak in white vinegar i have read this can clear new gear smells

Like they say, smell you later, lol!
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!
  • RosgilliesRosgillies Posts: 91
    Hiro Protagonist
    My Rift s smells. Must stop sitting on it.
  • Nekto2Nekto2 Posts: 245
    Nexus 6
    edited May 22
    It seems i too have developed some sort of allergy to the material in the rift.
    Have you tried to get it out of HMD and wash it with soap or in a washing machine?
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,807 Valuable Player
    edited May 22
    Nekto2 said:
    Have you tried to get it out of HMD and wash it with soap or in a washing machine?
    no... but given my old insert i had over 1500 hrs in (probably over 2000) without any issue and that started giving me issues, and a brand new one also had exactly the same issue i do not think that is the problem.

actually i take that back......... i actually semi regularly used to clean my old hmd insert with a cleaning spray..

the issue is with me and developing an allergy to materials in the foam i think.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    Hiro Protagonist
    Also the face gasket padding irritates my face just like the Rift did.
    This is interesting.... for well over 1500hrs i used my CV1 without issue, then around 4 months ago i noticed if i used my rift the following day i would have red skin - looks like sunburn - on my cheeks and bridge of nose where my rift touches my face.  It seems i too have developed some sort of allergy to the material in the rift.
    I have some VR covers. i never used them as they are frankly not fit for purpose and do not fit (i asked for refund but was refused).  I am trying to sort something out with them to see if that fixes things.
    I even have  tried a brand new facial insert but that has not made a difference, so my next headset i will have to factor in the cost of a high quality cover for it.
    I had the same experience.  The first month or so I didn't have any problems with the CV1 face gasket.  Then all of a sudden I started to get the sunburn like rash on my face as well. 
    Hiro Protagonist
    vannagirl said:

My sense of smell was damaged years ago when I had surgery on my left sinus cavity.  I wonder if that is why the rubber piece smells like garlic to me?  It's funny because I always thought my sense of smell had returned to normal after a couple years.  Nothing else really smells funny to me.  Also, I had general anesthesia on Monday for knee surgery.  Perhaps that could be the culprit?
    Hiro Protagonist
    Nekto2 said:
    no... but given my old insert i had over 1500 hrs in (probably over 2000) without any issue and that started giving me issues, and a brand new one also had exactly the same issue i do not think that is the problem.

actually i take that back......... i actually semi regularly used to clean my old hmd insert with a cleaning spray..

the issue is with me and developing an allergy to materials in the foam i think.
    That's why I took my insert out of my CV1 and used the mod shown over at the vrology site.  I never had any issues with the replacement cushions, and it brought the headset closer to my face for an added bonus.  😁  After taking the face gasket out of the Rift S, the lenses are so close that my eyelashes touch the optics.  I may have to redo the gear vr mod to put the padding mainly on the top and bottom instead of on the sides.  Good thing I bought 4 of them just in case.