cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S smells funny

Sandcracka
Adventurer
Anyone else's Rift S smell like garlic?  I have a feeling it will give me a migraine. Also the face gasket padding irritates my face just like the Rift did.  I had to remove it.  I tried to use the vrology gear vr mod but the padding isn't thick enough. 
16 REPLIES 16

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Something else seem a little smelly.   Maybe a smelly little troll, lol!
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Sandcracka
Adventurer
This isn't a troll post but thanks for the accusation.  You will be put on my ignore list.  

Actually I found out where the smell is coming from....the rubber nose piece.  I removed it for now.  Gonna try and wash it a few times.  Hopefully the smell goes away. 

bigmike20vt
Visionary

Also the face gasket padding irritates my face just like the Rift did.

This is interesting.... for well over 1500hrs i used my CV1 without issue, then around 4 months ago i noticed if i used my rift the following day i would have red skin - looks like sunburn - on my cheeks and bridge of nose where my rift touches my face.  It seems i too have developed some sort of allergy to the material in the rift.
I have some VR covers. i never used them as they are frankly not fit for purpose and do not fit (i asked for refund but was refused).  I am trying to sort something out with them to see if that fixes things.
I even have  tried a brand new facial insert but that has not made a difference, so my next headset i will have to factor in the cost of a high quality cover for it.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

The foam on the S seems to be a very different formulation. I'd say it's about a half or a third as dense so much softer. The harder rubbery plastic that the foam is mounted onto seems to be the same as CV1 and is quite a bit larger so that also makes it more flexible.

So although there's more rubber, that part doesn't touch your face... and the foam which does touch your face seems to be a very different formulation so you may be ok with this one bigmike. VR covers are a good option though in any event.

I don't notice a smell with mine but different people are sensitive to different smells.

vannagirl
Consultant
I have no sense of smell I sustained a stomach injury so all I sense is acid and the contents. Only overpowering smells like smoke really.

Garlic though that is an odd smell off something new? Maybe soak in white vinegar i have read this can clear new gear smells
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

Sorry to hear that @vannagirl , with some of my friends though, you'd not be benefiting from smelling them

vannagirl
Consultant

Sorry to hear that @vannagirl , with some of my friends though, you'd not be benefiting from smelling them

Ha!

roger that”

blessings and curses hahahahaha 
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
I've never had any issues with the Rift CV1 or Rift S face plate or smells, smell's nice to me, smells like a shiny new plastic toy  🙂
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can't say I have noticed too much of a smell in my Rift S, not like I had in the CV1.