Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mmm... I love that New VR HMD Smell

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Quest has arrived in House Grayskull.

b7s8ide9u1hd.jpg

Let me start by saying that I am completely blown away by the Pass-Through technology. It's amazing to be able to walk through my entire house, even up and down stairs, while staring through the HMD. No more peeking under the nose gap!

There has been some concern over the new controller design. With the Rings being "upwards" now, but let me tell you... I can already see some great benefits to this. For example, I just finished playing through some of Vader Immortal (highly recommended), and during the Jedi Light Saber Training Sessions, I was able to grip a single Light Saber with both hands. With the new controllers you can hold the Saber while keeping your hands slightly apart (a gap between your top and lower hand), while keeping both hands in sync due to the fact that the Controller Ring on the Lower Hand can rest underneath your Upper Hand without losing tracking.

With the older controllers, you have to keep your hands pressed atop each other, or else your hands are floating in the air and you have to try to keep them in sync by "miming" the gestures. Granted, sometimes holding a blunt object with both hands touching is preferable, but not always! This is something I thought might be worth pointing out.

The image Quality in Quest is better than GO but not as a good as a Rift with a top GPU, as expected. But I am already in love with this Device and its capabilities. The visuals in Vader Immortal alone are well worth the price of admission, imo. I'm going back in!
26 REPLIES 26

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I remember the O+ did have a smell. I opened it up before I shipped it off to ShadowMask (I had to open it to verify contents for Customs). But yeah, the smell wasn't as strong as Quest. This must be the stench of...

😛

CrashFu
Consultant
I love that smell, too.  (assuming it's the same scent as Rift and Rift-S)

As soon as I got a whiff of my new headset, I was filled with nostalgia... happy memories of those days when I first got my CV1 and experienced VR for the first time in my life.  In particular, the smell brought back vivid memories of playing Farlands..  
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
It just smells new  sterilized and untouched. I like it that way.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Quest and Go look good together in their carrying cases. Two stand-alone VR Kits. How fun!

mma6468cidhj.jpg

pyroth309
Visionary
Yea, everything about the quest is visually appealing to me. It has a solid feel to it to. I haven't gotten my case yet as that's what was actually delayed lol. I was quite shocked when the Quest was sitting outside. 

FlakMagnet
Adventurer
Am loving the smell of the Quest as well 🙂  Do I need to be added to some kind of register?

Nekto2
Superstar

mmm... I love that New VR HMD Smell

That is a special marketing branded smell. Some companies are adding them to new products. 😉

You could ask @feelreal to recreate it. So you could feel it as long as you like :lol:

@Zenbane said:

It's amazing to be able to walk through my entire house, even up and down stairs, while staring through the HMD.

You are cheater! You could hide under the floor or high up in a shooter with real stairs!

:lol:

edmg
Trustee
When I try walking up the stairs, the headset goes black. I don't seem to be able to go far from the current Guardian zone before the headset just turns black.

MowTin
Expert Trustee

Zenbane said: With the new controllers you can hold the Saber while keeping your hands slightly apart (a gap between your top and lower hand), while keeping both hands in sync due to the fact that the Controller Ring on the Lower Hand can rest underneath your Upper Hand without losing tracking.

Cool

i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Anyone with a Rift-S or a Quest who also owns a Rift CV1... it is pretty cool to look at the Rift CV1 through the pass-through lenses!

All of the LEDs on the Rift are lit up and flashing.