New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

I Think It's Time For A Forum Code Update

13»

Comments

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,010 Valuable Player
    I just don't know why we have to sign in and then sign in again to get into the the forums. It would be better just to sign in once and not have to then sign into the forums again. 
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,701 Volunteer Moderator
    I don't think the intention is to repeatedly sign-in. I last signed about a week ago I think, possibly longer and I haven't had to sign in again since. I suspect it's intended that you only sign in if you've been away for a set number of days or maybe that there's a set number of days before a re-sign-in is required regardless of activity.

Repeated sign-ins are probably another indication of incorrectly operating code on some browsers. Or maybe an ability of the code to deal with security settings for cookies on some browsers.

Just guessing of course but as I say, logging in seems to be ok with IE and re-sign-in isn't needed.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.720)
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,375 Volunteer Moderator
    Signing in for me (firefox) is rare (maybe once every couple of months). But when it does, it's always the triple sign in (press sign in on forum, press sign in on oculus home page, press sign in on forum again).

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,010 Valuable Player
    kojack said:
    Signing in for me (firefox) is rare (maybe once every couple of months). But when it does, it's always the triple sign in (press sign in on forum, press sign in on oculus home page, press sign in on forum again).

Yeah, I meant triple sign in because that's exactly what I have to do. When I do it though it doesn't always sign in on the 3rd part when you click to go into the forums again. You just get that wave thing next to sing in and it just goes on and on forever.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,375 Volunteer Moderator
    Just a little update. Still working on some CSS mods for the forum.
    I suck at GUI and colour design, so its a work in progress. :)

Here's the new post edit box.
    Avatars (everywhere) are now 80 pixels instead of 40. (Actually I might shrink it back to 40 for the edit box, but leave it 80 for posts)
    Multi level quotes are colour coded.
    Quotes, code blocks and spoilers are visible in the edit box before you even type in them! No more guessing if you are correctly inside of a quote.

Before:

After:

• RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,172
    Wintermute
    vannagirl said:
    I struggle to log in with Firefox, Chrome, Dolphin & Safari

the code is menopausal
    I can't think of a worse type of code :|
    Premenstrual?
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • PhoenixSpyderPhoenixSpyder Posts: 269
    Nexus 6
    I only use Firefox and and lately it's been fine. Every once in a while the forum will forget who I am and I have to re-sign in. Sometimes sign in will take ages, other times it's quick. Also, it's quite annoying that when I need to sign in, it takes me to the Oculus website first, I then have to go back to the forum to get in again, sometimes multiple times before remembering me again. There should be no need to take me to the Oculus website (I've already bought the product)...just log me in where I am.
    i7 8700k @ 5ghz, Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, MSI 1080ti Gaming X @ 2050Ghz + 11.4Ghz ram, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Oculus Rift, Odyssey Plus, Windows 10 Pro 1909
    "Presently developing a VR project (outside of my profession) due to the lack of availability of what I would like to experience" Details in a year or two...
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,357 Valuable Player
    edited May 2019
    Happens on my Apple phone often will have to give up trying to comment as cannot get it to log on. 
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,498 Valuable Player
    Just to add my nickel's worth:

The forum software is terrible. Every few weeks, I will find myself logged out of the forums for no reason at all. I then click on sign in, which takes me to the Oculus.com page . Why in the world one can not sign in directly from the forums? 
    Then - once signed in on Oculus.com, I return to forums - only to find myself still not logged in there - even though I am logged in on Oculus.com. It remains this way for a while, meaning I can not use the forums during this time.

So dang frustrating!
    Yeah it eventually propagates over to the forums , but can take many minutes and sometimes an hour or longer.
    Please Oculus - fix these forums!! As your user base grows it is important for the forums to reflect well on you!
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,153 Valuable Player
    indeed. even if Oculus / Facebook no longer care about these forums, which seems pretty apparent TBH, it reflects poorly on them when functionally their official forum software does not work properly.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,172
    Wintermute
    I get the issue of the forum software 'forgetting' me on occasion, same as the other comments, off to the Oculus website then possibly multiple attempts (if I don't get bored and give up) loggiong in before it 'remembers' me!
    Frustrating - I mainly use firefox but the same issue persists even if I use the Microsoft offerings...
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • GeekyGamiGeekyGami Posts: 114
    Art3mis
    Wow, uuuuuh, guys

Logging in is like, so simple.

You literally just go to a different website, log into that different website, and then you return to the original website which is not the different website and you sign into the original website that is not the different website, and then sometimes it works.

Sheesh, you're holding it wrong, that's the obvious problem here.

Now then, on that note, I have a bit of commentary to give, as though it wasn't already obvious.
    FaceBook, Oculus isn't FaceBook.

I think you guys can clearly tell this is a much more tech-savvy market in general than the market you're actually aiming for.

The asshole design that is usually used on websites like FaceBook, for the userbase you guys are actually aiming for, does not work well in tech-savvy circles.

Forcing us to log in into another site, and failing to remedy that problem for years, could clearly be marked as being asshole design.

Making us go to a different website that is very hard to even know exists to give feedback is clearly asshole design.

Nevermind the whole support ticket system.
    At least that part is more useful than Microsoft's idea of a support system.

It could be argued that the reason Oculus hasn't fixed the forums is a clear question of social advantage.
    By preventing people from logging in, or making it more annoying, they get to keep the forum, but keep it from getting too active with support and issue threads.

By obfuscating the feedback site from the forum, they get less people providing feedback, which means less things they have to acknowledge that they have to fix.

On top of that, by making feedback on the Oculus Desktop App completely isolated from other people's feedback, they have another area where people can't pheasably tell how many people have provided the same feedback, and since it doesn't go on UserVoice, that's less people on UserVoice being noticed, so again, the advantage of having the benefit of ignoring the things that need to be fixed, on top of obfuscating things further.

And let's not even get into the lacklustre categories for support that are so vague that you need three messages to support to explain what your issue is and be redirected to the right person.