cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest: Screen casting not working (Samsung Galaxy S9 / Nvidia Shield)

spyro
Expert Protege

Wasn't successful getting this to work. Headset is connected to the app, all green. TV, Smartphone and Quest are all connected to the same WiFi.

First, I tried to cast to my Nvidia Shield (nothing happened). According to the app there should be some sort of confirmation screen in the headset, which isn't the case.

Same when trying to cast to the phone itself (Samsung Galaxy S9, Android Pie).

So I tried it the other way around and started sharing from inside the headset. Same thing, nothing happens on the phone. Except one time, where I just got a black screen.

Did this work for anyone?

BTW: Would be great if you could alternatively stream directly to the phone (WiFi Direct). So you could share someone's experience if you are not at home. Currently, it's not possible to assist someone without being connected to an external WiFi.

81 REPLIES 81

spyro
Expert Protege
Update: Rebootet Quest, now I get at least a notification on the phone as soon as I start streaming from inside the headset. But I only receive a black screen and then the connection breaks after about 4 seconds.

Dave
Explorer
I too was unable to cast to my Shield.  I had no trouble seeing the "Do you want to allow casting?" request in the headset, but after selecting "Allow", nothing happens and an error pops on the phone.  I opened a ticket.

I haven't tried casting to my phone.

InfinitR
Protege
For the record, also unable to cast to Huawei Honor 6x. It works, briefly, and then locks up the phone app.

spyro
Expert Protege
I wonder if it actually works for someone...

MiaFey
Honored Guest
also unable to cast to Huawei Mate 9. freezes up after 5 sec

Anonymous
Not applicable
Same issue here with Honor 10 or any Chromecast in my house 😞 The cast work for 3-4 seconds and shut down.

Anonymous
Not applicable
OK, I try with a iPad and it works. So, it's a issue with the Oculus android App I guess.... we need a update ! 

RHunterr
Expert Protege

spyro said:

I wonder if it actually works for someone...

Galaxy S9 here. Casting from the Quest to the phone worked perfectly fine for me last night. Haven't tried casting to our Chromecast yet though.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Works for me! I use my Galaxy S9+ and am able to cast to two of my Shield TVs with no issues (only ones I've tested so far). I of course initiate the cast from within the Oculus app on my phone and I do receive the confirmation screen to allow it in the Quest.

Also, for the purpose of this response, I tested casting from within the Quest to my S9+ and it worked with no issues.

So I can at least confirm it does indeed work! Doubt I can be of any help as to why it's not working for others with the same devices though.