Windows 7 can't use rift s — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Windows 7 can't use rift s

2K2K Posts: 10
NerveGear
I went to install it and was told that it bizarrely requires Windows 10, making it unusable for anyone with Windows 7

Comments

• RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,115
    Wintermute
    They really should use bigger print or something.........

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
  • 2K2K Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Don't want to use windows10
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,115
    Wintermute
    2K said:
    I think "Don't want to use windows 10" means "Can't use Rift S".

Seriously though, you should check requirements before buying.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,189
    Wintermute
    Yup alway check requirement before buying any hardware realted stuff these days.
    Be good, die great !
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 902
    3Jane
    I don't want to use Windows 10 either - but my other OS isn't Redmond ware at all.  If I want to play with the latest toys sadly W10 is a must...

I will agree with previous comments - the recommended is quite clear, W10 Pro can be bought for £20 'ish and at can be tamed a little from being a chatterbox...
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
    NerveGear
    Richooal said:
    2K said:
    I think "Don't want to use windows 10" means "Can't use Rift S".

Seriously though, you should check requirements before buying.
    Windows10 can't stand it in ten minutes, and I have a lot of software on top of win7. Can't use win10
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,629 Valuable Player
    Man I wish my 98SE machine could run my Rift!
    Win 7 is being phased out by microsoft and it will get fewer and fewer updates let it go man.
    WAAAGH!
    NerveGear
    Morgrum said:
    Man I wish my 98SE machine could run my Rift!
    Win 7 is being phased out by microsoft and it will get fewer and fewer updates let it go man.
    Whenever there is a new software or new hardware, I like to buy it, and I hate win10.
    2009 xp replacement win7 only took a few days, but I really like win7
  • RosgilliesRosgillies Posts: 146
    Art3mis
    Then like Win 7 and forget cutting edge technology like Rift etc. No way round it.
  • DaveDeltaDaveDelta Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    My company is on Windows 7 until 2020, like a lot of large companies. We use Rift at the moment. Based on the results of the Oculus Compatibility Tool  I have ordered several Rift S. I ran the latest version of the tool on a Dell 7810 workstation, not a laptop or all-in-one. Thoughts?

• SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,222
    Wintermute
    As far as I know you can upgrade to windows 10 for free.
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,991 Valuable Player
    edited May 23

Yup, as long as it's not for a business. All you need to do is install it and not activate. You'll see an activate Windows 10 nag on your desktop but you can just ignore it.

Windows 7 is 10 years old, anyone still using it these days is more than a little insane.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • DJ_DEAD_WOLFDJ_DEAD_WOLF Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    snowdog said:

Yup, as long as it's not for a business. All you need to do is install it and not activate. You'll see an activate Windows 10 nag on your desktop but you can just ignore it.

Windows 7 is 10 years old, anyone still using it these days is more than a little insane.
    I don't agree with that as I'm not on windows 10 because I care about my privacy and don't want my data from my computer sent to Microsoft. I wouldn't call that "little insane". I'd call that Smart given today's situation of tech & information. 
    3Jane
    snowdog said:

I don't agree with that as I'm not on windows 10 because I care about my privacy and don't want my data from my computer sent to Microsoft. I wouldn't call that "little insane". I'd call that Smart given today's situation of tech & information. 
    Spybot Anti-Beacon shuts off the intrusive Microsoft Telemetry - and it is free :)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

• DJ_DEAD_WOLFDJ_DEAD_WOLF Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    It should work fine with windows 7 according to the "Oculus Compatibility Tool".

• ozdude54ozdude54 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Its not the end of the world. Worst case is you have to get another drive, install 10 on it and put a boot option menu on your PC. Install whatever game you want to run on the new drive and only use that drive for that whilst still enjoying windows 7 for everything else.
  • Zapper35Zapper35 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    W7 is about as stable and mature as you could ask. For Oculus to fail to employ ppl who can write the bit of code necessary is their problem. Until they sort it my Rifts are on the bench.
    3Jane
    Zapper35 said:
    W7 is about as stable and mature as you could ask. For Oculus to fail to employ ppl who can write the bit of code necessary is their problem. Until they sort it my Rifts are on the bench.
    I agree, they should support W7 until next January, then dump support as Microsoft will...

That's fair, wouldn't you agree?

• ohgrantohgrant Posts: 176
    Art3mis
    edited August 12
     They don't officially support Rift anymore. When the last update broke Win 7 support completely, they fixed it.  You will have to go through a bit more to get it installed but it should work. I copied this a year or so ago from some forum, it worked for me on Win 7 before I upgraded

"click on start then type in the search bar cmd....your downloaded file the (oculussetup.exe) 
    should be in your downloads file....so when u typed in cmd and enter at the search bar the black screen should come on
    ....type in the screen (cd downloads) this shoulddirect it to the place its downloaded...then type this 
    (OculusSetup.exe /bypassHotfixCheck)
     remember to look at what letter is a capital and lower"

• Zapper35Zapper35 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    @RattyUK

Actually no I wouldn't agree mate. I bought a number of copies of an OS from MS and believe they should continue to support it. TBH I am not overly worried if they remove their support as if left alone it is now a great OS and if you practise even a little electronic sanitation you should have no probs security wise.

As for Oculus, I bought a piece of hardware that met their specs. They now arbitrarily move their goalposts for no good reason - unless they knew something about the problems revealed with driver architecture in Las Vegas recently ;)

Even so there is no reason they cannot write the code needed to run the Rift under W7 into their patches or better yet, leave it alone so the customer who pays the bills can decide whether to upgrade or not .. oh that;'s right .. it's Facebook and we all know how they regard individual freedoms.
    3Jane
    I'm not your 'mate'....

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,991 Valuable Player
    I'll only be using electronic sanitation when SexBots become available to buy  :D :D :D

Sy Borg,
    Gimme dat,
    Gimme dat,
    Syyyyyyy Borg...

B) 
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever