Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S losing hand tracking and can't see through passthrough camera

Dapperlad
Protege
After setting up my Rift S this morning, I played for approximately
2 hours and ran into an issue in Beatsaber where my body movement was
not longer being tracked and I couldn't move my sticks anymore. I went back to the home screen and noticed that my hands were stuck to my side and all I could do was rotate my controllers in place. I was also unable to see anything through the passthrough camera as it was just static.

I've disabled USB 3.0 power management in Windows
I've
tried every USB 3.0 plug on my computer, the ones that do work now only
last for 30 seconds to 3 minutes before static screen comes back and I
lose tracking.
I've unplugged all others USB cables on my computer except keyboard and mouse.
Camera permissions are on for Windows 10
I've reseated the video cable in the headset itself.
Videocard Drivers are up to date
Windows 10 is completely up to date
Rift Firmware is up to date
I've reinstalled Oculus software and run the setup multiple times.

I've seen a few others on Reddit with the same problem. Is this a faulty batch of hardware here?
154 REPLIES 154

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have you tried the opposite end DP? Give it a REBOOT just to clear any config of the other slot. Keep the USB attached. 

cybershrapnel
Protege
I will comment that, that is one thing I did as well on top of the other things I mentioned. However, I must say it appeared to be the USB connection and not the DP... but I could be wrong. As I said, there seems to be something up with the splitter... maybe it's not letting enough power through the cable without an external power supply?

cybershrapnel
Protege
OCULUS SUPPORT! Please respond to this issue!  It is not isolated and there are multiple threads regarding it here and on reddit!  And please stop telling us to reseat the cable!  FFS!

Knutsi
Protege
I had a similar issue, where the headset played well for 5 minutes, then hand tracking was suddenly lost (as I was queueing for an Echo VR game) and now it does not complete setup when I retry, saying "Sensors can't track headset".

Checked: camera privacy, driver updates, win updates, reinstalled software, tried on another PC, repaired software, tried another oculus account, tried all ports on PC, USB3 + 2 and DIsplayPort. 

As someone said: there is no way it can be this finicky. Either there is a severe software/firmware issue, or the headset is broken. I also notice the headset cable gets very warm on the USB end, which is weird.

Ticket submitted aprox 30 hours ago, but no reply. So I guess I will return the headset by mail, then then ...? Wait for a long time, then wait for a replacement to ship.. then I am away for two weeks? This was not a fun ride, or a good start for the Rift S at all ? I could just have picked it up in a store here, and maybe that would be faster. Took a day off work when it arrived as well. 

BLADE_13
Explorer
I finally fixed it!! What you want to do is get May 2019 update for windows and everything works!!  Now I can return that pci usb 3 card I got.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10ISO

cybershrapnel
Protege
I doubt it, judging by Oculus silence, they are silently patching this behind the scenes.....

Dapperlad
Protege

PaulRJM said:

I finally fixed it!! What you want to do is get May 2019 update for windows and everything works!!  Now I can return that pci usb 3 card I got.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10ISO

I just ran that update and installed it. My headset worked for about 15 minutes and then it lost tracking again. Very frustrating!

Dapperlad
Protege
Also tried rolling back my nvidia drivers to 417.71 and that also worked for about 15 minutes and it died again.

Hey support, anyone want to answer for this or are you just happy to have our money?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Uninstall/Reinstall USB HUBs and eXtensibles by Manual Selection of another available Driver?

cybershrapnel
Protege
The lack of support on this issue is making me frustrated.... I like and even love the product when it is working, but this makes me wary to keep it....  I feel like I must return it.... rebuy later when kinks are worked out confirmed...  and if I never hear acknowledgement of this issue I will know better than to ever rebuy... very simple....