cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S - Please read before you buy - Tracking problems with realistic FPS sims & Archery

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
EDIT: NEW UPDATE PLEASE READ - Read this first before continuing - Oculus has now released a new beta update called 1.39 which fixes many of these issues - I have eddied my main post of this thread so newcomers to Rift S can read this good news on how to fix their issues before continuing...You have to go into your Oculus software, click settings, click the Beta TAB at the top, click the button next to "Public Test Channel" which will automatically download Oculus software 1.39 and restart Oculus. Once you have installed this software update you will see that tracking has been massively improved for FPS games when holding two handed rifles and aiming down scopes. I have tested this on Onward today and played for over 3 hours and now the game is very playable. Before this update I couldn't play any FPS with two handed weapons, now they all seem to work fine!! Well done Oculus devs and thanks for the software update!  🙂

Original post below:
Hey everyone, I got my Rift S on launch day and was initially really impressed. But since then I have tried a wider verity of games and have since discovered a glaring issue with Rift S which is the tracking.

Before Rift S launched I was worried about the sound, that was my only concern, and yeah the sound isn't great but when I used my own headphones that solved the problem so when I was playing Robo Recall, Beat Saber, and Audica etc it all looked and performed fantastic and I soon forgot about the sound as I was enjoying the games so much.

But last night I bought Contractors on Steam which appears to be a great multiplayer FPS with great graphics but unfortunately is completely unplayable on RIft S! There's simply no other way to say it.

FPS games like Onward, Contractors, Pavlov and Archery games like In Death/Sacralith just aren't going to work with Rift S. You can't aim down the sites, soon as you hold your right hand up to your face in the normal position to look down the sites of a rifle or to look down an arrow the tracking freezes in place and stops working and makes it impossible to aim.

So after playing with Rift CV1 for the past 2.5 years this is completely dreadful. And btw the first year or so with CV1 I only had 2 front sensors which worked perfectly, the only reason I bought a 3rd sensor in the 2nd year was for pavlov so I could pick up weapons from the floor, so since then I used 3 camera setup in my dinning room and the Rift tracking was 100% perfect and never lost tracking for me.

If your planning on only playing Arcade games like Robo Recall, Superhot, Beat Saber and Audica, you will be fine, go ahead and buy Rift S and enjoy the amazing clarity of the optics and increased resolution.

But if you want to play FPS games or Archery games, your basically buying a product that does not work, your wasting your money and would be better buying a 2nd hand Rift CV1 off ebay/amazon.

Of course we heard in the past that Oculus could enable the old CV1 room sensors through software, I desperately hope they do this, otherwise for people like me that enjoy FPS/Archery games as well as the usual Arcade games, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, because I like Rift S, but what am I suppose to do? Use Rift CV1 for half my games library??

I'm quite shocked and hugely disappointed by this, I think maybe what other people were saying about Lenovo was right, I don't think Oculus/Facebook should have partnered with them because if this is the outcome then, well, no thanks.

I feel sorry for everyone who has pre-ordered expecting to play Onward/Contractors/Pavlov/In Death/
Sacralith etc and expecting this to be good. I think we need to all sign a petition to Oculus to enable the old CV1 room sensors for proper tracking otherwise they will have a lot of refunds going in and also this is very bad for people new to VR. In fact I'd go as far as to say that all FPS and Archery games should be taken off Oculus store for Rift S owners until this is resolved because otherwise what's the point? Everyone buying those games will have to refund I suppose.

Sorry for the rant guys, but I felt compelled to inform the community of this. People need to know how bad this tracking really is.

And also before Rift S was released people were saying the future is inside/out tracking. Well I'm sorry guys, but you couldn't of been more wrong. Inside/out tracking only works for Arcade games, sim racing games, elite dangerous and maybe Quest if Quest mainly uses Arcade games too? I'll leave that part for Quest users to comment on.

I own Rift CV 1, Oculus GO and now Rift S, was planning on buying Quest too but I'll hold off on that for a while until I read more reviews. 
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
356 REPLIES 356

Morgrum
Expert Trustee

Morgrum said:

Honestly I think its a software issue rendering what is picked up.
I am hopeing a update fixes the issue because such an issue is a manor problem with the ammount of FPS style games for VR

Now that's what i call hedging your bets mate     😄

By the way, this sounds pretty awful and needs sorting as soon as possible.  This must have been noticed during testing!

Ha yea I meant major don't let me type with my iPhone or worse when I am getting food prepped for Dinner!

I am making Fajitas tonight BTW.... Yum!

WAAAGH!

BloodyShadow
Protege
I'm just throwing in my two cents to back up Sk's claims, I've had the exact same issues in every game that involves pulling a hand near your head or face (sniping, archery, etc.). It isn't anything to do with faulty equipment (except in design maybe), but the placement of the sensors and the blind spots near your head and face. 

I'm really REALLY hoping to use my existing room sensors, because everything else about the 'S' is great and well worth dishing out a little for, but only if I can still play my favorite games... In Death is tragically crippled now, and I'll be testing onward tonight. Really bummed about this, hoping we get a fix soon. 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@SkScotchegg - I've being banging on about this for sometime now and some people wanted to argue that inside out was the future and that I just had to get used to it. I'm sorry to say that it's not the future if it doesn't allow you to play first person shooters properly. Imagine Microsoft or Sony bringing out a console that had a wonky controller that didn't allow you to play FPS properly. Would people just say that's fine when FPS is half of what gaming is all about? 

I love the display on the Rift S, but Oculus need to announce something soon for external sensor support, or some of their games on the Oculus Store need to be removed. How can you sell games for a VR headset in your store if the games don't work properly?  

I've tried these games myself and the tracking is dreadful when you bring your hand up to your face and try to aim. I'm sorry to say this, but I'm on the verge of returning this if Oculus don't come up with something soon. Allow external sensors to be used and you have a winner of a headset. Don't allow external sensors to be used and I can't cope with this frustration in FPS.

I honestly can't even think why Oculus need to even consider this now, it's obvious you need an external sensor to allow the headset to track your hands near to the headset to play these games properly.

BloodyShadow
Protege
To elaborate, games I've tested so far include:
- In Death
- Skyrim (Archery)
- Dead and buried (the bow, but it can be worked around as this isn't aimed quite like in other games)

All of which had issues aiming, including lost tracking, juttering, freezes, all the fun stuff centered around blind spots. 

I'll be testing Onward in about an hour, will update. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can confirm that archery in In Death with the Rift S is unplayable unless you hold the bow horizontally and draw the bow around your chin. It means it's virtually impossible to aim properly.

Skyrim VR though is pretty good. It's not perfect because you can't move your right hand when the bow is drawn but it's definitely playable.

In Death is a fucking mess though, I've posted on the In Death subreddit just now, hopefully they'll see it and have a look at things.

MowTin
Expert Trustee
PSA To people having trouble with VR FPS games on the Rift S: Turn on Virtual Stock if Available

One reddit guy says Pavlov is OK if you turn on virtual gunstock. 

I'm surprised by all these issues. Seems the YouTubers mislead us. They said the tracking was flawless. It seems we were misled.

I don't play Pavlov and Onward. I do play Skyrim and Fallout 4 VR. I didn't have any problem with those using bows and scoped weapons. I'll do more testing. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Didn't the Onward devs say they're amending the gun mechanics to work better with the S? I'm guessing that means adjusting the gun grip position to be an inch or so further away from your face. No idea what the real rifle distance between the butt of the stock and the grip is but I'm sure a realistic compromise can be made.

As the S is now the default Rift and likely to be reasonable popular, I'd say the chances are good that devs will make the necessary changes.

@DaftnDirect - The thing is we shouldn't have to compromise on how we naturally like to hold things. I find it uncomfortable and tiring holding my hands out further in front of me playing Onward. Archery games where it's natural to bring your hand close to your face are now changed to having your hand out in-front of you? Not only is that not natural, but it also feels crap using a bow like this. 

What needs to happen is for Oculus to enable the external sensors and allow those people who want a sensor to be able to buy one. There's no better fix then that imho. Sadly mines going back if something isn't announced soon and I'll buy at a later date when it's fixed. Shame really because I love everything else about the headset.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I greatly dislike people putting others off buying goods because they are having their own issues. Telling people they definitely won't be able to play this or that game because yourself and perhaps the vocal minority are having issues is highly irresponsible.

I'm having zero issues with In Death - in fact, it's far better than it ever was with CV1. I was worried there would be issues due to the new form of the Touch controllers and reports of tracking issues directly in front of the headset, but I've had none of these issues at all.

In fact, I'm pulling off headshots at much further distances than I ever could with CV1 due to the increased clarity. I've been really enjoying this game and whooping and cheering at the incredible shots I'm pulling off at distance, with a huge grin on my chops.

Please make responsible posts - e.g:" I'm having issues with..." and you may have issues with..." - not making statements as though they are facts that everyone will have those issues and shitstorms are coming and such drama-queen-esque rants and dissuading people from buying what so far for me and others has been an excellent headset.

Someone else mentioned in this thread that they had no issues with it - but that seems to have been conveniently ignored, too. Come on, guys - be responsible with your posts about this.

I'm off to carry on enjoying my fabulous new Rift S - Onward is no good you say? Great - I'll try that next.

PS - could it be that light conditions are causing these differences in performance? I remember reading and hearing  (Tested on YT) that different light conditions can make a large difference to tracking quality.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

BloodyShadow
Protege

RedRizla said:

Didn't the Onward devs say they're amending the gun mechanics to work better with the S? I'm guessing that means adjusting the gun grip position to be an inch or so further away from your face. No idea what the real rifle distance between the butt of the stock and the grip is but I'm sure a realistic compromise can be made.

As the S is now the default Rift and likely to be reasonable popular, I'd say the chances are good that devs will make the necessary changes.

@DaftnDirect - The thing is we shouldn't have to compromise on how we naturally like to hold things. I find it uncomfortable and tiring holding my hands out further in front of me playing Onward. Archery games where it's natural to bring your hand close to your face are now changed to having your hand out in-front of you? Not only is that not natural, but it also feels crap using a bow like this. 

What needs to happen is for Oculus to enable the external sensors and allow those people who want a sensor to be able to buy one. There's no better fix then that imho. Sadly mines going back if something isn't announced soon and I'll buy at a later date when it's fixed. Shame really because I love everything else about the headset.

This. Exactly this. From start to finish couldn't have said it better myself. Mine will be going back as well if they don't do something quick to help make things better.