New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift-S User Reviews - comparing Rift and Rift-S (pros and cons)

Comments

• SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,328
    Project 2501
    Guys I've left my original review in place but have updated my score and added this sentence today just due disappointment with Contractors VR and In Death. The tracking is terrible in these games.

===EDIT: I've changed my review score due to poor tracking! - FPS games and Archery games don't work on the Rift S - disappointed.===

I'd give the Rift S 7/10 at the moment due to tracking and audio issues.

If Oculus release headphones add-on for Rift and allow me to use my original sensors I will update my review to 10/10 because visually what you see it's perfect.

If you play sims like racing/flying or you only play arcade games like Robo Recall/Beat Saber/Superhot/Audica then this will work fine and you will love it but don't expect to enjoy Onward/Contractors/In Death etc.

Sorry for bad news guys, I'm gutted too.

I really hope Oculus enable the original RIft CV1 room scale sensors in the software, for me this is the number 1 issue now with this HMD, they need to address this ASAP. This is more important to me then the audio right now.
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,679 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    Yup, like I've said before I think a lot of us have been spoilt by how surprisingly great the OG Rift's headphones were. Anyone new to the Rift S won't have a problem with the sound as it is right now let alone after a firmware update improves things.

@TheRealCyber have you still got your Oculus Remote? I haven't been able to get mine working since I got my Rift S. I love that thing! :(
    Apparently the Rift S has no support for the remote. However it does for the X-Box controller, go figure. I have not used the controller in over 2 years, but I used that remote with my original Rift daily.
    I do a lot of flight simming and would just leave my Touch controllers in a drawer at times, so the remote was handy then.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • cigaremoodscigaremoods Posts: 287
    Nexus 6
    Hello

Now it is very easy to know if his interlocutor has a CV1 or an rift S.
    If the sound heard is very bad it is a rift S, if the sound is good it is a CV1.

:)
    Cordialy

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC, Intel core I9-9900K, MSI RTX 2080 TI Gaming X Trio 11go, Corsair DDR4 16go, SSD Samsung NVMe M.2 500go, SSD Samsung 2To 860 QVO,
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,614 Valuable Player
    edited May 2019
    Guys I've left my original review in place but have updated my score and added this sentence today just due disappointment with Contractors VR and In Death. The tracking is terrible in these games.

===EDIT: I've changed my review score due to poor tracking! - FPS games and Archery games don't work on the Rift S - disappointed.===

If Oculus release headphones add-on for Rift and allow me to use my original sensors I will update my review to 10/10 because visually what you see it's perfect.

If you play sims like racing/flying or you only play arcade games like Robo Recall/Beat Saber/Superhot/Audica then this will work fine and you will love it but don't expect to enjoy Onward/Contractors/In Death etc.

I really hope Oculus enable the original RIft CV1 room scale sensors in the software, for me this is the number 1 issue now with this HMD, they need to address this ASAP. This is more important to me then the audio right now.

But if you take the Rift-S as it is right now - without using other headphones etc., how would you rate Rift-S against the CV1? CV1 may of course have other pros and cons, so maybe the same rating or different? Just curious - I'll ask you in week again - and in a month ;)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    edited May 2019
    Just went through 16 hours of posts on Reddit - here're some more reviews by persons who've been using CV1 previously - but not much new stuff since yesterday:

My impartial Rift S review from a previous CV1 owner

Setup

Seriously simple to set up, went through easy steps to finish. Nice touch (no pun intended) was the controllers are pre-paired so no need for that.. Setting the guardian boundary was extremely good and done by simply drawing on your floor with your laser pointer. Setting the floors level was a great improvement, you get a pattern at a height your headset thinks the floor is at which is wrong, but to set you just move your controller to the floor which moves the floor level in real time, no more setting your height during setup in centimetres. I was set up and in Home at aroud the 10 min mark after going through the "First Contact" experience eyt and have not experienced any issues during operation at all.

Headset
    It's slightly heavier than the CV1 with very similar or same build materials. The extra weight however isn't noticable as the halo and headstrap do a great job of distributing the weight in a balanced way, in fact I now prefer the halo but will admit I haven't done a 7 or 8 hour stretch in ED yet. I still get light bleed around the nose but it's a tiny amount compared to CV1 where I used to use it to find drinks and stuff, can't do that now. Most have said its gone so I must have a skinny nose. The business end of the headset fits snuggly on my face and I get a good view inside. My IPD is average at around 62mm - 63mm.
    Controllers

They are slighty smaller that the CV1 versions which for me who has small hands isn't a problem, but if you're a bit of a unit with shovel hands I can imagine the thing getting lost in your palms and be slightly awkward for button presses.

They feel lighter and more flimsy than CV1 and have found my thumb pads can partially pull the magnetic battery cover off during play forcing me to adjust grip slightly to allow the cover to snap back into place.. Not a huge deal but a minor annoyance that should be mentioned.

Visuals

Wow - just wow. A huge improvement in sharpness, clarity, SDE and god rays. Its immeadiately noticable even during setup but you get a better feel when you get to Oculus home and start playing. The clarity of text, the sharpness of edges. Colour and brightness are great as are the blacks.

As an ED player I'm happy with the blacks but I am aware that the textures used by FDev are crap. They may start of with black space but the textures overlaid for planets, cockpit and starfields etc all add a lighter hue. I have disabled some textures in the game to give me black space anyway for the most part (instructionon how to do this are in the VR section of FDev forums). So basically what Im saying here is light blacks are really FDevs fault and their textures, not any panel in a HMD. Default HUD colours are now usable which is great. I really am chuffed AF with the better visuals, this alone has made the upgrade (side-grade) worth it for me.

Sound

Yeah its not too shabby but a deffo huge step down from CV1. The surround/directional aspet of the sounds is excellent, I got more of a direction in the real world sense than the CV1 or headphones, it just lacks meat/bass and maybe some extra volume. My Astro A50 wireless headset fits over the halo though if I can be arsed to put it on, but I have buds i'm going to cable tie to the halo so they dangle just where my ers are so I can insert them easily, with the spare cable gathered and tied so they become part of the headsets frame.

I have seen the posts by Nate Mitchel regarding a patch to improve things so I'll eagerly await it's arrival.

All in all I am very happy with my purchase.

If there's anything you wish to ask please do, other-wise thanks for reading.

Grip button on new Touch controllers issue

Made a support ticket with Oculus already and waiting on a reply, but wanted to know if anyone else had this issue with the new Touch Controllers and Rift S.

Played last night for the first time and noticed when I was in Home opening the gift boxes that the boxes where not letting go of my hands even though I wasn’t holding down the grip button. The Right controller was worse than the Left one.

I then played Super Hot and the same deal happened where the hands would not let go of an object that I was holding or the game did register that I threw and object as it would float in the air. I would have to grab and attempt to throw it multiple times which of course affected game play.

I own the CV1 and was used to the old Touch controllers and I know it doesn’t respond like that at all.

Rift S Experience so far

Here are my brief first impressions after messing around in home, a couple rounds of Echo Combat, and Onward

New touch controllers finally have the oculus and menu buttons out of the way and now it’s very difficult to press them on accident. A big plus. Not as easy to feel for the right controller orientation as with CV1 version but that’s only a minor detriment.

Pass through is everything I hoped. 2x Oculus button for passthrough is off by default, and can be found in experimental section. Passthrough in dashboard is off by default as well, but can be enabled and set to last for a certain number of seconds in dashboard.

Optics are an improvement as is headset fit around face/comfort. It shakes a bit when you move your head if it’s even a little loose though and it’s noticeable. I didn’t experience this on CV1. With my 64mm IPD everything looks clear and crisp and I do not notice any god rays and far less SDE.

Tracking worked surprisingly well for Echo Combat. I feel like I can put that concern to rest. I was easily able to grab my ordinance from the shoulder and maneuver through wall grabs and shooting from a mounted wall location nearly behind me with negligible tracking loss, and to an extent that I did not feel disadvantaged.

Tracking was poor in Onward without a rifle stock attachment. To avoid occlusion of the front cameras, you have to hold your rifle out in front if you a significant amount and while not a game breaker it is horribly awkward. Also, every time you go to shoulder your rifle there is that awkward moment where your tracking glitches and you shove your arms further away from you until they snap back in place. Clearer optics for shooting at enemies far down range with a holo are a nice consolation, but this was pretty disappointing.

Sounds is awful. Unacceptably so without headphones. Somebody should honestly lose their job for that move. I am going to buy the PSVR speaker attachments ASAP to hopefully soften the blow of having lost CV1’s excellent audio, but the fact that oculus didn’t have an accessory that was adequate at launch was a big miss here.

The headset to PC tether cord feels heavier and more awkward to maneuver as well. To the extent that when I had to brush it aside at times it would cause the optics to shake visibly in game. The texture it has is less slick, too... it almost feels sticky/high friction which doesn’t help. Still need to suspend it from the ceiling to see if I get relief from that, though. Who knows...

Overall I am relieved with how this turned out. Beat my low expectations by quite a bit on tracking, slightly on optics, and was even worse than my expectations on sound.

The Lenovo S

TLDR - I wish the best of luck to all your tv's out there. Mine is going back in the box.

IMO Oculus really dropped the ball on this HMD. It seems Lenovo had the most design input. Probably went with a lot of "features" because Lenovo had a HMD already setup similar, and it made manufacturing it cheaper and easier.

IPD- I have 68.5. No matter what I do it is blurry. Getting rid of manual adjustments is a big FU to a lot of users.

Headstrap - its comfortable but It doesnt work as well as the original design and the padding on the halo does not appear to be removable. I really miss the old ballcap style

Static/white noise/flashing - this has been a constant since I first installed the HMD. I have redone drivers, reset cables and even tried it on another machine to no avail.

Guardian- I play with only Tv light often, this is how I played with all my Rifts and Vives for years. With the Lenovo design in low light it will try to keep making you go through setup or it will just shift your playspace around far from where you set it up. People will be hitting walls and TV's with this.

Tracking- it gets broken often in many games I play. While its not horrible it can be quite annoying at times and to me not acceptable for a PC connected device. If you play in lower light conditions, forget about it.

There are two things that are better about this HMD than my ol' Rifts. The pass through camera setup since it should have nice finger/hand tracking and that the screen is higher resolution. Everything else is a step backward.

Today it feels like many are starting to notice tracking limitations on the Rift-S compared to the headphones, let's see how it goes tomorrow... 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• TheRealCyberTheRealCyber Posts: 193
    Art3mis
    Hmm.. so my right Touch controller broke. Well, I didn't knock it on anything, but for some reason the analog stick won't snap back into place (like if you move it in certain directions it stays there). I think this happened from teleporting in Robo Recall. I've contacted support about getting a replacement.
    Also, I had the same problems with the grip buttons. Not sure if it is a software or hardware issue, as it is very hard to throw objects in Robo Recall and almost impossible in SUPERHOT. Hopefully they can fix this in a patch.
    Hmm.. so my right Touch controller broke. Well, I didn't knock it on anything, but for some reason the analog stick won't snap back into place (like if you move it in certain directions it stays there). I think this happened from teleporting in Robo Recall. I've contacted support about getting a replacement.
    Also, I had the same problems with the grip buttons. Not sure if it is a software or hardware issue, as it is very hard to throw objects in Robo Recall and almost impossible in SUPERHOT. Hopefully they can fix this in a patch.

It's really good to have you back in here - yes, you've been missed :) You've been here since the dawn of VR ages - was the CV1 launch similar to this, many users experiencing tech issues preventing them from using the CV1? 

• SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,328
    Project 2501
    edited May 2019
    RuneSR2 said:

But if you take the Rift-S as it is right now - without using other headphones etc., how would you rate Rift-S against the CV1? CV1 may of course have other pros and cons, so maybe the same rating or different? Just curious - I'll ask you in week again - and in a month ;)

I know what you mean, I get where you coming from, I love Oculus products and I really wanted to love this one. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy it and I'm going to keep it because the visual clarity of the optics and resolution is amazing.

Like I said in other post I bought Audica last night and I was like wow!!! This game is amazing and really enjoyed playing it on Rift S, I can't wait to get home tonight and play it some more.

I think my score right now of 7/10 is fair though, because I knock 1 point off for audio (no built in headphones) and 2 points for tracking. If the tracking was as good in Contractors and In Death as it is in Robo Recall and Beat Saber etc then I wouldn't of had an issue but they can't expect us to enjoy it like this, in it's current condition.

Like I said before as well, both of these issues can easily be solved by Oculus as far as I know, a software update for the tracking and sell us an accessory for the headphones, that's it. then I will give it 10/10 for full package, right now the package is definitely not complete, i'm not impressed with inside/out tracking at all.

You asked me how would I rate Rift S to Rift CV1, it could be amazing, the visual difference is amazing and I love what I see, I just don't love what I hear with the audio or what I experience with the tracking.

Constellation tracking FTW!!  :p
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 500
    Neo
    Anyone think the screen on the S feels a lot "smoother" than the OG Rift ?

I expected the S to feel the same or worse since it's only 80hz vs 90hz, but imo the screen looks and feels "smoother".
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
    Art3mis
    RuneSR2 said:

It's really good to have you back in here - yes, you've been missed :) You've been here since the dawn of VR ages - was the CV1 launch similar to this, many users experiencing tech issues preventing them from using the CV1? 
    Yeah, there were problems at every launch. But they were resolved, and I expect they will be resolved here too.
    edited May 2019

Constellation tracking FTW!!  :p

Yeah, I'd love to keep my sensors and Touch - and just get a new CV1.5 HMD with improved res and the awesome CV1 headphones  <3 That would totally be worth $250  ;)

• WildtWildt Posts: 2,280 Valuable Player
    edited May 2019
    SkScotchegg said:

Like I said in other post I bought Audica last night and I was like wow!!! This game is amazing and really enjoyed playing it on Rift S, I can't wait to get home tonight and play it some more.
    Yeah I noticed you crept into my friends leaderboards - I love the game, and a big update with new songs is due tomorrow! (sorry for being OT)
    SkScotchegg said:
    Constellation tracking FTW!!
    If only they had gone the extra mile and combined the two tracking systems, then a lot of CV1 users wouldn't be returning this thing. Hell, I might even buy one! :)
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
  • JohSm67JohSm67 Posts: 165
    Art3mis
    Upgraded from Rift to Rift S!

And yeah it's a WOW when it comes to picture quality, crisp and clear! 

The tracking space also got bigger for me as you can get rid of the front facing cameras and gain some more space there as well as in sideways ! Only drawback is the sound, you need to find some in-ear headphones (Not the ones for the Quest!) Maybe Oculus could create a deluxe audio strap for the Rift S, it would be nice! But is so make it as an Wireless addon replacing the current headstrap.

The headstrap shipping with it is ok not to bad and it feels better than the one the Oculus Quest uses for some reason? Even if the original Rift still is my choice. but that's history now!

Controllers, well they are ok, but feels unbalanced compared with the old ones. Guess I simply has to get used to it!

Comparing the Rift S and the Quest (Guess it's not a fair one, due to some differences) I feel the picture quality is better on the Rift S than the Quest! Ok the Quest is Wireless and I would love to go wirless with the Rift S, PC rendering of games still are way better on the Rift S than what the Quest can handle.

So should you get the Rift S or update to it, sure I can just say it is a great update on the image quality! 
    Now, would have loved to get the Valve Index, but will need to wait and see what people says, maybe for christmas.

/J 
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    @Scotchegg72 - What kind of tracking problems are you having in In Death?  Is it related to the hand you're drawing the arrow with, or something else?

Bow movements should work fine (and so far most of the time they are, for me), since you typically draw back the arrow, hold it in place (relative to your head) and aim by moving the hand holding the bow..

One problem I have had (both in In Death and Apex Construct) is that my bow hand will just stop tracking for a second, and be stuck in the air in front of me?   From a hardware / tracking-area perspective, there's really no explanation for that, so I'm assuming it's something that needs to be ironed out in the software..  or some kind of external interference I need to find a fix for.

Actually, maybe I should try unplugging and re-plugging the cable where it connects to the headset..  I hear that fixes a lot of the graphical glitches people have experienced, so maybe it would also fix issues possibly related to the USB connection?
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • NijNij Posts: 319
    Nexus 6
    edited May 2019
    So managed to pick one up today, they're pretty much sold out everywhere in Manchester, England

Only had it out of the box and tried the fit and was impressed with how light it felt and comfortable but i'll fire it up shortly, bit worried now though, looking through the forum and seeing all the issues people are having and main one being tracking

I've already plugged my AKG ear buds into it that came with my Samsung s10, not even gonna bother with the built in speakers :) and I could hardly tell I had them on and the wire didn't get in the way, so really not concerned about the audio, even if the built in speakers were a lot better, I'd still be using earphones

I was a believer!! I was a Kickstarter backer!! Now I shall reap the rewards!!! :D:D:D
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,679 Valuable Player
    Nij said:
    So managed to pick one up today, they're pretty much sold out everywhere in Manchester, England

Only had it out of the box and tried the fit and wss impressed with how light it felt and comfortable but i'll fire it up shortly, bit worried now though, looking through the forum and seeing all the issues people are having and main one being tracking

I've already plugged my AKG ear buds into it that came with my Samsung s10, not even gonna bother with the built in speakers :) and I could hardly tell I had them on and the wire didn't get in the way, so really not concerned about the audio, even if the built in speakers were a lot better, I'd still be using earphones

I am using Klipsch R6 II earbuds with my Rift S, did not even try the Rift audio strap.
    They rock nicely with it, nice deep bass and very good sound. Apparently at least the Rift S has a pretty good
    audio driver. Shame they did not put CV1 quality headphones with it.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • NijNij Posts: 319
    Nexus 6
    I am using Klipsch R6 II earbuds with my Rift S, did not even try the Rift audio strap.
    They rock nicely with it, nice deep bass and very good sound. Apparently at least the Rift S has a pretty good
    audio driver. Shame they did not put CV1 quality headphones with it.
    Nice!

Happy to report, everything seems great so far, setup was a breeze, the improved visual quality instantly hits you, loving passthrough and audio not even an issue for me, just started off using my ear buds and sound quality was just as good as OG rift

Feels so much more comfy to me too and love that I can pull the lenses right to my eyes to maximise FOV and felt like FOV was also greater

Not had any issues putting the headset on and off as I seen people getting black screens, apart from after setting up guardian and taking off the headset and putting it back on, this had messed up my boundaries, so I may just turn guardian off for now anyway as I've always done, I've now set it facing away from my pc too, so this feels better and the cable seems just long enough for my play space so prob won't bother with extension cables

Tracking seemed fine when picking things up and throwing things but Like everyone says when your hands are right close to your headset it does lose tracking but seemed pretty quick in resuming once I moved my hands again

I am glad I got one even though at the moment it doesn't seem worth £400 if your upgrading from OG rift but I'm sure the more time I spend on it I'll probably change my mind but when I think about it anyway, I upgrade my phone every year so a new VR headset was definately overdue and Index or Pimax really don't seem worth it at the moment, so definately don't regret getting it one bit

Now to maybe sell my old rift and sensors but might keep 2 as I had 4 in case we ever can use them in the future

I was a believer!! I was a Kickstarter backer!! Now I shall reap the rewards!!! :D:D:D
    Art3mis
    I tried 6 foot extensions and they mostly worked. I did have a black screen crash in Arktika, but I'm not 100% sure it was caused by the extensions (could be, though). Even without extensions, the cable is long enough for my small apartment sized bedroom. I think for most people 5 meters (16 feet) should be enough.
  • ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 500
    Neo
    Just played some Contractors (no gunstock, I have to re-order a ProTube as my previous Mamut stock is not S compatible)

I was owning on some people and I kept harping on them saying "You just got killed by someone on an S". No one had any idea what I was talking about :D  :D:D

Overall, I thought the tracking was pretty pretty good.
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • HanoverHanover Posts: 549
    Neo
    Pros of Rift S:

Crisper Picture. Man, I was shocked at just how better First Contact looked.  Then I tried Xing which was even more gorgeous. 

Able to face away from my PC which means the cable no longer has to drape over my shoulder.
    The strap is much more comfortable.
    Pass-through camera and Guardian System (although the Guardian System really showed me how small my play space really is..).  

Con:

My glasses worked with Rift.  Not so much with the Rift S.  I wear progressives, and it seems that adding my glasses over the lenses reduces the sweet spot and introduces lots of swim.  I'm praying that it has nothing to do with my IPD of 56.  When I take off my glasses, I notice that the image is consistent across my vision (no area is blurrier or clearer than any other area) so maybe that's a good thing?  I've ordered some Widmo single-focus lenses and will go out to costco to get some temporary readers until they arrive.  

Sound.  Yep, the sound is weak for music games.  I bought some Porta-Pro headphones and plan on 3D printing a harness for the Rift S tomorrow.  I feel thats a huge step backwards and makes me think Oculus is "selling out" here.  Sound is a big deal and they're just kind of shrugging, which is unlike the old Oculus.  I want the Oculus that is dead serious about VR and unwilling to compromise something as important as audio.

• MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    Review by a Dev...(notice at 44:30 the monitor goes BLACK if sensor is not covered up making screenshots a pain)

This is starting to feel like work, but I guess someone has to do it - here're some more reviews  o:)

Objective, real, unbiased comparative list between Rift S and CV1, from a picky CV1 user deciding which one to keep

Ultimately, best method to deciding between two products is using them yourself; and since I had the chance, I used both the Rift S and the CV1 back and forth for a couple of hours.

I am not a paid reviewer, youtuber, or affiliated with anyone. Also I am no fanboy, or hater. I am always only focused on the best I can get from a product.

So this is pretty unbiased and honest.

1 - "The Rift S shows a more detailed image due to resolution bump and rbg pixels, so you can see more"

ONLY for things that ARE CLOSE to the viewer. The S does NOT improve definition of distant objects or text. Maybe very very marginally only, but even so, not practical. I kind of expected this already, because the resolution itself is not really that different. Yes the pixels are RGB, and it might seem clearer, but in reality, playing the games and apps, this does not magically make distant objects that are like, 20 pixels tall, to be detailed. The irregular contour typical of the pentile around them is a bit lessened. But you still cannot make out the details, either way, on CV1 OR the S. If a text in the distance is unreadable on the CV1, it is still unreadable on the S.

For things close to the viewer, yes, there is an improvement in clarity! Again this is due to the RBG pixels, not to the resolution as it is barely changed. So when you look at the hud of simulation games, or when you pick up a paper letter in an exploration game, and it is close to your head, then yes, the details are a bit more discernible on the S. But I can swear, if you look at it objectively, the details are almost on the same level. What you get from the S is a better subjective impression, because it is as if there is a bit less noise AROUND the details.

Last, while the CV1 pentile makes you distracted by some "black points pattern" around the screen (for example when looking at a plain one-color wall), people who pay attention to graphics will notice another type of noise on the S. It is almost as if there are scanlines moving vertically at all times, especially noticeable if you stare at a one-colored wall and turn your head slowly. Even so it is a bit less jarring than the pentile diagonal grid.

Winner: S

2 - "The Rift S has worse black levels"

Absolutely true. No matter what reviewers, or people new to VR, or people who do not really care about darkness in games say. The black level is DEFINITELY worse.

Not, it is NOT BAD. It is perfectly acceptable. Everybody already said "but the CV1 does not turn off the pixels due to smear etc". Yeah, this is noticeable on the CV1. BUT..

I tried The Great C (a really dark scene in a deep night with only some people around here and there, and, some focus of fire here and there). On the CV1, the darkness feels like darkness. On the S, well, it is dark but grey-ish. If I had to choose a number I'd say the CV1 is 0.03 white, while the S is 0.15 white. Yes you can really see the difference. Also Batman VR, during the opening intro showing nothing but the logos and some mist behind them, and darkness all around.. the CV1 shows darkness while the S shows dark-gray.

Winner: CV1

3 - "The Rift S practically eliminated god rays"

Not true. The god rays are still there. But much more bearable really. They are THE SAME LENGTH and the very SAME ONES as the ones on the CV1, but they are MUCH more transparent. Let' say they are like 0.20 white on the CV1, and only around 0.4 white on the S. The Oculus Go by the way almost completely eliminates them, like I would say 0.01 white, and it is a pity Lenovo did not copy this setup for their S.

Winner: S

4 - "Audio speakers on the S are bad"

Well no contest here, it is laughable. Sound is weak, you miss a lot of details, AND the bass is horrendous and distorted. The CV1 headphones are awesome indeed.

BUT I used my earphones with the S, and well, the sound got BETTER than the CV1. So because the S has the headphone output right on the HMD, using your own headphones if actually bearable and doable. Maybe I would have already been using my own earphone on the CV1, if it had an earphone output on the hmd..

So, it depends if you like/want to use your own earphones or not.

Winner: both. CV1 for integrated, S for using your own high quality earphones.

5 - "Inside out tracking is awesome / sucks"

To be honest, both ways. Tough to decide. The 3-sensor CV1 got a LOOOONG way in driver and software tweaks during it's lifetime and honestly nowadays it is rock solid. For example in Batman VR, I could casually rest my arms to my sides, and when I looked down I could see the controllers hanging there and reacting to the slightest movements. As my body was not visible I could put my arms a bit behind me and still see them being perfectly tracked. Rock solid. Using the S, the controllers lost tracking already when by my sides (not even behind me) even though I was looking down (they were theoretically on the scope of the headset). Because of course my own shoulders were blocking them.

On the other hand, on normal gameplay the tracking on the S is really good. What I mean is as others already said, during real gameplay. I never had the "controllers stopped moving" issue as I set all my USB and other stuff to never enter "power-saving mode" as per my CV1 early experience.

I DO NOT play fps games, especially the ones that are INDEED being hampered by the S because you cannot aim down the sights. I am sure I would hate the S if I played some of those games.

One game I have not tested and that will probably play like shit is The Climb as you usually are looking away from your hand.

Now there is an actual ADVANTAGE over external sensors, in the situation where you are playing seated, and holding the controllers on your lap like a gamepad for example. On the CV1 I lost tracking of them sometimes in this situation because I occluded the sensors with my arms and head. On the S, the controllers keep being tracked.

Winner: by a small margin CV1, but for real life everyday gaming the S is good "enough" until next gen

6 - "Halo strap is more comfortable"

Honestly for me both the CV1 and the S need to be secured tightly to the head, and once they are like that, it is the same level of comfort. Different adjustments but ultimately it feels like the same honestly.

Winner: both are comfortable

7 - "80Hz omg"

Well I did not really see a difference either way. And I played Rez Infinite on the X stage with dozens of stuff flying around and moving all around and firing etc.. no difference for me. Neither in Rez or in other games.

Winner: S I guess, because the tradeoff is a bit higher resolution keeping same GPU usage roughly.

8 - "The controllers are worse"

Just a tiny bit. The analog sticks on my CV1 controllers are perfectly steady even after two years. The analog sticks on the S are already a tiny bit loose, on FIRST DAY. Also the battery cover on the CV1 Touch really snaps in place tightly, securely and most important, they always fit correctly by themselves, it is like magic. The ones on the S Touch seem to have weaker magnets, and also they tend to get in the wrong fit so you need to take them away a second time and adjust so they fit correctly. THIS IS MINOR and not really important but worth mentioning anyway.

Also some people said the S Touch are smaller on the grip, but they are not really. Maybe what gave these people this impression is, on the CV1 the ring around your hand makes for a very very nice natural rest, so you can kind of drop the controller and hang it on the area between the thumb and the index finger, so you are gripping it more comfortably. The S Touch are a bit flimsy to hold like the Vive wands style of holding (no hanging them easily).

Winner: in practice, both. If I had to pick one, the CV1 is a bit superior.

9 - "The S feels cheap, the CV1 is premium"

Yes that is true. But once inside VR it does not matter.

10 - "Passthrough is awesome"

I think for the Quest yes, not only awesome but needed, because you move around places. For the S, it is a blurry black and white luxury. Nice to have, yes, but would never be missed if not present. As it is right now anyway (low res, distorted, b&w). Maybe for specific cases or people it is good or has some use, but for the average gamer, no, it is not really meaningful. Maybe a truly HD, distortion-free passthrough will be available on future devices, and then it will really be useful!

Winner: S as the CV1's only option is looking out the nose gap.

Which one will I keep? The Rift S, even though I was thinking the opposite.

Personal reasons:

- Less god rays (even though they are still distracting, they are more bearable on the S);

- I actually prefer my good in-ear earphones than the CV1 earphones (although they ARE excellent)

- Renewed 1-year warranty. My CV1 is already long past warranty.

I was not really motivated or impressed by the tiny resolution bump, or by the sensor-less setup (in my case I already had a rock solid definite 3-sensor setup, and honestly, once you get it right you can forget about it).

I will miss the really good black levels and overall saturation/contrast, but not much else.

Both are good, it is a pretty even field.

PS - anyone in Japan and interested in buying the CV1 full kit in mint condition, pm me!

Returning Rift S

Hello everyone, I posted a short review on the rift the other day and despite its many praises, I have decided that $400 is just too much for half of an experience. While the visual quality definitely improved over the OG rift, the audio quality is absolutely terrible. For the cost of this headset, audio should have been something that was at a minimum cv1 standards. The audio from the S is so bad, it seems like a giant step back and it completely ruins any immersion.

Before anyone says, “but headphones can be added...”, I didn’t spend $400 to not get the minimum level of quality the cv1 had on release. Letting this small detail slip through the process and the final product seems like a massive cost saving attempt from lenovo or oculus. Just listen to it, and you will see, its garbage. I wanted to love this headset, but the cost for upgraded visuals and inside out tracking, just isn’t enough justification for $400 and keeping.

Yet Another Honest CV1 to Rift S Review

I’ve held off on a review for a couple of days, because I wanted to be sure I was giving an informed and experienced opinion. Now that my own expectations and sense of hype are normalizing, I’m ready to get these thoughts down.

First off, some background. I’m a CyberSecurity Professional with 25+ years experience. My MSc. dissertation was titled “Augmented Reality for Network Management and Security.” In my spare time, I develop VR prototypes in Unreal / C++, and have experience in Unity / C#.

I experienced VR in the 1990s (big Zone Hunter fan), own a DK1, a CV1 and a Go. I’ve have also used the HTC Vive, and my wife also has a CV1. We’re both glasses wearers with 64mm IPDs, and we use WIDMoVR frames and lenses. We game together in the same room, which we divide in half for Guardian purposes. My wife was using 3 sensors, and I’ve been running with 4 sensors… Because if occlusion occurs, I can’t un-find it, and there’s just more furniture near me. The only other difference in our set-ups is that I use the Oculus Earbuds, and sometimes a SubPac M2 for additional haptics.

We now have 2 Rift Ss and an Oculus Quest, but this review is from a Rift CV1 to Rift S.

First up, the cardboard packaging has a cheaper feel than the CV1 and Quest. I prefer the harder-thinner cardboard, but at least we’ve settled on black as a good base colour scheme. On opening the box, the Rift S HMD is smaller than I expected, which instantly made me happy. The lead is long, but seemingly more flexible than a new CV1 lead. Shame it doesn’t have USB-C option, would have been nice to plug directly in to my NVidia GPU. The Touch controllers are lighter than the originals, the wrist-straps seem flimsy, I think I just prefer the original Touch braided straps -- I’m being very aware of ‘baggage’ humans subconsciously bring from one HMI system to another, so I’m pretty sure I prefer the original Touch braided straps.

Setup was a breeze, unplugged my old Rift, and all the sensors. Plugged in the new Rift S, and added the device through the Oculus software. No issues, very intuitive. I hit a couple of minor issues at this point. A few minutes after the First Steps, and I’m mucking around in Home, I suddenly lose all positional tracking, orientation is fine, so clearly it’s a camera / USB bandwidth, or power-saving fault. After trying a different USB port, this issue now seems to have been resolved.

Visuals

I’ve played with my glasses and without. I was using the WIDMoVR frame and lenses in my old Rift. My glasses fit, but giving up some space creates some binocular effect and decrease in FOV. Really, I’m just looking forward to WIDMoVR’s Rift S lenses, but I need to get another eye check-up before I order them.

For me, the drop from 90Hz to 80Hz in imperceptible and seems like a perfectly reasonable trade-off for extra pixels, and same minimal system specifications. If the goal is to get 1 billion people in VR, then constantly increasing minimum specifications won’t do.

The resolution is awesome, text is very legible and sharp, god rays are significantly reduced, colours are more vibrant, no mura. And, black looks like black, and I’m an Elite: Dangerous player! If the difference in black levels are perceptible, then the elimination of mura is just more of a noticeable achievement to me. SDE still exists, but greatly reduced.

I’m also very happy with the optics and supporting ergonomics. I was able to find the vertical sweet spot, and maintain it due to the halo-band, even in Beat Saber and Echo Combat sessions. I realize I’m IPD-gifted, but one note was that the Rift S was set to 63.5, I’m assuming this was garnered from my CV1 setting, so it’s likely my CV1 was 0.5mm off since day 1.

The front part of the HMD fits nice against my face without compressing my skull. No more O-face, no more O-ache from long sessions are slight physical offsets. That said, it’s easy to over-clamp the halo-band, but only when I get the optical sweet-spot wrong, so just minor changes to habit that I need to adopt.

Audio

I was dreading this from all the announcement and all the reviews I’d read, but you know what? It’s OK, perfectly serviceable for puttering around in casual games or Oculus Home. There’s good spatial projection, but no isolation, don’t expect privacy. My wife can hear you guys swearing and being ass-hats in Echo Combat, and she can hear you when you’re being cool, and she can hear it from the next room!

The in-band drivers do not deliver the bass needed for a serious Beat Saber, Echo Combat or Elite: Dangerous session. But, that said, I’m one audio-jack away from using my SubPac M2 and attached earbuds, which for me, was easier than the Rift. Because in the original Rift I had to run a long audio extension cable alongside the Rift cable (sleeved together.) The inclusion of the audio jack directly in the HMD suits me better. Tracking

Ok, it was never going to be frictionless for me, coming from a 4 sensor Rift set-up. Tracking coverage in the Rift S is on-par with HTC Vive, Rift 2 and 3 sensor set-ups. Occlusions occur, just in a different set of scenarios, and the mind adapts around these limitations, but they are limitations that exist in all current tracking systems. If someone tells you otherwise, they’re showing you their bias.

I mostly used modified-weaver stance when firing pistols. I clearly need to adapt a little more on that, as one controller occludes the other. I was able to compensate by resting more on my forearm. Rifles are fine with some adjustments to primary controller angle, it’s clear that software needs to adapt to hardware here to mask this. What really surprised me was archery, I love archery, bowyery and fletching, so this is an important use-case for me. Archery in the Rift S was totally doable, I was hitting consistent bullseyes on the boss from either end of my Oculus Home apartment, using center-draw (to the middle of my chin), and side-draw. Tilting the HMD back slightly certainly helps. This was really surprising to me!

Tracking is steady as a rock, no perceptible jitter in Touch controllers or HMD, and I’ve tried various different lighting levels, night-time, artificial lighting, and diffused day-light. The tracking accuracy is noticeably improved when compared to the Rift. Passthrough is also awesome, and in stereo! What more is there to say on this, it’s great to be able to look at people when they’re talking to you in meat-space.

Conclusion

Going from an unsupported 4 sensor Rift set-up with excessive tracking volume to the Rift S was always going to incur some friction for me. But I'm very pleased I made the move, the increased comfort, improved optics, improved screen, ease of setting up, reduced cabling, elimination of a whole dedicated USB card, ETC all make up for the occasional occlusion, which would have a counterpart occlusion in any normal in 2 or 3 sensor Rift set-up, or HTC Vive set-up. Still only $399 dollars, and well worth a purchase if it's your first VR HMD!

If you're upgrading from an existing HMD, try before you buy, just to be sure you get the upgrade you expect. Everyone is different, and this is HMI technology, acceptable parameters are very personal.

I did initially hit one issue that nearly had me reaching for the support link. After a few minutes my controllers and HMD would lose positional tracking, and before that I’d get flashes of static very rarely. After moving the Rift S from my old Rift USB port to a USB 3.1 ‘VR Ready’ labeled port, and removing a 4K webcam from the same USB controller, this seems to have been resolved.

Please let me know if you have any questions, or if you want me to give opinion on a specific Oculus title (I have an extensive library, so there’s a good chance I can test specific titles out.)

The Rift S built-in audio is pretty great... for parents, at least.

I know that, from an audiophile perspective, the Rift S built-in audio is pretty poor. Very weak bass is a major failing, which is especially evident in Beat Sabre.

But, as a dad, I really appreciate being able to hear my environment. If my wife or my kids are calling, I need to be able to hear them, and I’m much less anxious about popping into VR with the Rift S than I was with my CV1.

And maybe I’m just a barbarian, but I don’t find the sound quality or the volume to be that bad. The mid-range seems pretty distinct, and the overall volume seems more than enough (at least for a quiet room). Based on the reviews I was expecting the sound quality to be on or with some dollar-store earbuds, but it’s much better than that.

Not trying to court controversy here, but wanted to share an experience that I haven’t sewn reflected here this week.

I think some people honestly enjoy being miserable. We live in the future and it is amazing. Just be happy.

I take it you're getting the Index too?  :D Yup, can't put a price on happiness!  ;) (I'll take that back when the wife visits a jewelry store)

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,173 Valuable Player
    edited May 2019
    I know I'll be getting a Valve index if Oculus don't do something with their tracking on Rift S. I'm not bothered about the tracking behind when you have to quickly grab something because I can deal with that. I'm on about when in gets near to the headset in front of you.

I was hoping Oculus would save me spending £920 on a valve index. Lets hope they have something sorted soon regarding tracking because I have a Valve index reserved for August.

You could say it's left me miserable the thought of having to spend  £920 just to have good tracking :D

Edit: Just seen the HP Reverb review in the other thread and he can actually touch the headset without losing tracking? So hopefully Oculus will implement the same thing before August.

Art3mis
    RuneSR2 said:
    I think some people honestly enjoy being miserable. We live in the future and it is amazing. Just be happy.

I take it you're getting the Index too?  :D Yup, can't put a price on happiness!  ;) (I'll take that back when the wife visits a jewelry store)

Nope. After seeing the ease of setup with Rift S (and WMR for that matter), I don't think I can go back to external sensors.

• MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    edited May 2019
    On CV1 I've never seen any SDE in Games and wasn't there until they made the Absolute Blacks slightly Black (CYMK type Black) which was seen when transitioning into games when it loaded!

On CV1 I've hardly had God-Rays at all. Only in Elite:Dangerous if I used BLOOM=HIGH but that is overkill for brightness really. I set full GAMMA and Brightness=4 in the Cockpit's HUD Panel as I also used the UI Mod for Blue with Gold Shields.

It's really weird for me to hear all this talk of SDE, God-Rays, and even the FOV as that never bothered me. CV1 FOV was totally nothing at the top and about 1cm to the sides and bottom. In Elite, PC2 and other Space type games I play it just feels like a helmet which would be missed! My IPD=58 and I use the VRCover thus it brought everything closer. What I think is, if the lens is Polished it will spread God-Rays but if you used the smallest bit of Metal Cleaning Polish like Simichrome OR your breath and wipe after each use then it will leave a less reflective surface!
    Also these guys love to sound all so clever talking about those big techy words...it makes their reviews sound like they are informative!

So likely the RIFT S will be incredible ;)