cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Screen with Rift S in Setup

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hy guys,

i get no picture when i should use my rift s to end the setup in VR. Only black screen, white led and sound, but no picture. Reinstalled, reconnected, new driver and so on.
Im on a i7 4790k, gtx 1080. Till now i put hours in this damn thing....
177 REPLIES 177

Sbf93
Honored Guest
Same issue here. The screens dont turn on at all in my Rift S.
I tried all mentioned fixes from here and reddit without success.

And still no response in my support ticket since wednesday.

I begin to regret, that I sold my Vive to buy a Rift S.

Reinart_The_Fox
Explorer
It seems like it's a hardware issue and not software related. Well atleast for me since i got a mail from support telling me i probably have a faulty unit and they will send me a replacement unit. 

Ja5onLee11
Honored Guest

I could not even get past the setup stage of my rift S due to a "graphics driver issue". It says I need to reinstall my graphics driver, and I have many times. I am using a Nvidia GTX 1060 which is enough according to the recommended requirements. Does anyone have a fix to this or is anyone having the same problem? Is there something I'm missing? 

same here, thought it was the port problem switched to another one even another PC still having this 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Bad news guys, same issue like before. Now i have to disconnect Usb and DP cable, wait a few seconds and put it in again, sometimes it is working, but only in port 1. 
Since i told the support rift is working they send me back, i also told them about the issue again

Reinart_The_Fox
Explorer
I got a mail this night telling me i need a replacement unit.  😞

Vanessa (Oculus Support)

May 23, 5:23 PM PDT

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the update. As we have finished all troubleshooting steps we do believe there is an issue with the unit itself.

Based on all the information you provided, we would like your Oculus Rift S kit returned for further review and have a replacement
Oculus Rift S kit sent to you. Note: this replacement will be for the full kit.

Please read all of the following sections carefully and then let me know if you have any questions:

What to Return:

Since we are replacing the entire Oculus Rift S kit, it is very important that you return the retail box the Oculus Rift kit came in, along with all of the other included components (headset, controllers, cables, etc.)

• Before sending your Oculus Rift S kit back, please remove the battery from the Touch controllers

• We ask you use plenty of packing material to protect the component during shipping

• Do not send any other items back with it because you will not get those back

Shipping and Label:

A prepaid return shipping label will be sent via email to
psyrix2_renard@hotmail.com
within 3 business days. Please use this label to return the defective unit to our distribution center. If you do not see the label in your inbox, be sure to check your Spam and Junk folders.

• You have 30 days from when you receive your label to return your hardware.

• Please alert us if you do not receive your label within the next 3 days.

Expected Timeline:

This process typically takes 8-12 business days, from the day you send back your current Oculus Rift S kit, to the day your replacement ships out.

Please note: We are unable to expedite the replacement process and advanced shipping is not available at this time.

• Please monitor your return package. You should receive a shipping notice for your replacement via a separate email about 3 business days after your return package tracking shows as "delivered" to the warehouse.

Regards,

Vanessa

Oculus Support

MikePixelPusher
Protege
It seems like the poeple that got an official response to this problem have been told that that it is a defective unit. I think I will likely just return it. I would be interested to see if a new one will work. 
System: MSI GE73 Raider RGB 8RE Laptop
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1060

MikePixelPusher
Protege
Some were saying that a firmware update fix this problem.. Please confirm if anyone has had success with this method. https://www.nvidia.com/object/nv-uefi-update-x64.html

LBayard
Explorer
I tried the firmware tool on my MSI gaming laptop with no luck, the update states that it is for add-in graphics cards only.

MikePixelPusher
Protege
LBayard thank you. Are you going to wait for a fix or are you going to exchange it for a new one? 

Sbf93
Honored Guest
DisplayPort Firmware Update did not solved the problem for me sadly.

But you made me feel hope for a second, when I read your suggestion.