cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faulty Rift S

Sandcracka
Adventurer
I think I got a bad unit.  Everything was working great up until a couple hours ago.  I was playing Skyrim and I noticed the screen flashed what I can only describe as white noise.  It flashed for only a second.  Since then it flashes this white noise once every ten minutes or so.  Doesn't matter which game I'm playing.  I've even seen it on OH.  I hope I didn't get a defective unit.   😞
39 REPLIES 39

skygunner27
Protege
It's too bad that this was moved from the general forum to support. Probably because most users won't care to look in support. Since I have seen this problem on 2 brand new Rift S on 3 different computers, there's bound to be other Rift S users with the same Rift S problem. There will be others that encounter this problem and return or exchange like I did. I have submitted a support ticket. I suggest others follow suit, so that Oculus knows they have a bug.

https://builds.gg/builds/quadstellar-ghost-964
Gamerstorm Quadstellar Case, i9 9900K, Gamerstorm Castle 240 RGB AIO, Aorus Master Z390, Aorus Xtreme 2080ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600, 970 Pro 1TB MVNe, 2TB 860 EVO SSD, 2TB 860 Pro SSD, EVGA 1000 G3 SuperNova, AW3418DW 21:9 3440x1440 IPS 120hz Gsync 1900R Curved Display, Razer Mamba Hyperflux, Razer Huntsman Elite, Razer Chroma Base Station, Razer Nommo, Razer Nari Ultimate, Blue Yeti Blackout, Oculus Rift S 

Sandcracka
Adventurer

It's too bad that this was moved from the general forum to support. Probably because most users won't care to look in support. Since I have seen this problem on 2 brand new Rift S on 3 different computers, there's bound to be other Rift S users with the same Rift S problem. There will be others that encounter this problem and return or exchange like I did. I have submitted a support ticket. I suggest others follow suit, so that Oculus knows they have a bug.

My thread wasn't moved.  I posted this in the support forum because that is where it should be.

Zahariel
Expert Protege
I'll open a ticket tonight when i get home. Strange thing is there were no flashes for the first 3 hours when i first installed it and played Beat Saber. Windows and NVidia drives are all up to date.

skygunner27
Protege

My thread wasn't moved.  I posted this in the support forum because that is where it should be.

Maybe I should stay out of the forums, when I'm using Virtual desktop lol.....

Zahariel said:

I'll open a ticket tonight when i get home. Strange thing is there were no flashes for the first 3 hours when i first installed it and played Beat Saber. Windows and NVidia drives are all up to date.

I called a local friend here in Alaska, she is also experiencing the Rift S's random white static flashes. She has 7700K/2070 and says everything is all up to date. She too is submitting a ticket. I see them about once an hour regardless of what I'm doing on Rift S.

https://builds.gg/builds/quadstellar-ghost-964
Gamerstorm Quadstellar Case, i9 9900K, Gamerstorm Castle 240 RGB AIO, Aorus Master Z390, Aorus Xtreme 2080ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600, 970 Pro 1TB MVNe, 2TB 860 EVO SSD, 2TB 860 Pro SSD, EVGA 1000 G3 SuperNova, AW3418DW 21:9 3440x1440 IPS 120hz Gsync 1900R Curved Display, Razer Mamba Hyperflux, Razer Huntsman Elite, Razer Chroma Base Station, Razer Nommo, Razer Nari Ultimate, Blue Yeti Blackout, Oculus Rift S 

bgast7851
Honored Guest
I have no idea if my Rift S is defective or not. When I put my headset on and try to play a game, or even at the home screen, I get black edges and the picture is jerky. I have the original Rift and thought that I had sensor issues where I placed them.  I was trying to play Defense Grid 2 while seated in my office and I had the same problems as my new Rift S. I bought the Rift S because it did not use external sensors and thought that it would solve my problem. I also have and Oculus go and Defense Grid 2 plays fine but it doesn't have all the features that I like from a computer powered unit. Please help. I feel like I wasted a lot of money to get a good vr experience.

Zahariel
Expert Protege

Zahariel said:

I called a local friend here in Alaska, she is also experiencing the Rift S's random white static flashes. She has 7700K/2070 and says everything is all up to date. She too is submitting a ticket. I see them about once an hour regardless of what I'm doing on Rift S.

Ticket has gone in - Let's hope that they can see some convergence between our logs that points them to a simple and effective solution. I turned on the watch strap add-on when on the Home screen so hopefully I'll remember to check that when it happens and I can keep track of them, you never know

Fingers crossed!

Sandcracka
Adventurer

Zahariel said:

Zahariel said:

Ticket has gone in - Let's hope that they can see some convergence between our logs that points them to a simple and effective solution. I turned on the watch strap add-on when on the Home screen so hopefully I'll remember to check that when it happens and I can keep track of them, you never know

Fingers crossed!

Yes I did the same thing.  Let's hope they find a fix for this problem soon.  This is really ruining my immersion. 

christopherbarn
Adventurer
I'm getting same problem. Feels like a driver issue, hopefully NVidia will release an update soon.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Try Disable RIFT S Audio in Settings. There's a bug certainly with WIN1903/1909 but could affect previous versions in some ways. Use other Headphones for now.

Sandcracka
Adventurer

MAC_MAN86 said:

Try Disable RIFT S Audio in Settings. There's a bug certainly with WIN1903/1909 but could affect previous versions in some ways. Use other Headphones for now.

First thing I did when I got the headset was turned off the Rift audio.  I prefer my Astro A40 TR audio.  Still get the snow.