cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S screen becomes grainy/snowy for a fraction of a second every once in a while for no reason

euliver
Honored Guest
I already updated all possibly related drivers (Windows 10, Oculus and Nvidia) and checked the cable connections on both ends, it doesn't seem to be a connectivity problem as far as I can tell. It doesn't seem to be related to moving the cable or not at all. The screen just randomly turns grainy/snowy (like a grainy TV screen used to I guess) for a fraction of a second for no reason while playing games, but immediately returns to normal. It just flashes. Doesn't matter which game or software I try either. I'm worried it might be a hardware problem, but that seems unlikely too, wouldn't the Rift S just shut off completely if it just lost connection? Not sure. Anyway, it isn't all that bothersome and happens rarely and randomly, but I'd certainly prefer it if this wouldn't happen anymore, and not just because I fear it might become worse. I hope it's a software problem and that I can find out what causes it soon, so that I won't have to return the unit.

142 REPLIES 142

Anonymous
Not applicable
Same here!

euliver
Honored Guest
I wasn't aware that the Oculus staff had already been informed about this, or that a similar thread already existed on the support forum. It's quite a relief to hear that it seems to be a fixable software problem then. I'm also very happy with the Rift S overall. I guess this is the price to pay when buying new hardware day-one. Well, thanks for all the answers, I'm less worried for now.

antitrust42
Expert Protege
same here too

Zahariel
Expert Protege
Oculus have updated the 'Troubleshooting Tips' section of the Rift-S support pages:

"If you’re seeing snow, static, or a similar visual disturbance in your Rift S headset, try these troubleshooting tips:
  1. Disconnect and Reconnect your Rift S from your computer. To do this:
    • Unplug the USB cable from your computer..
    • Unplug the mini DisplayPort or DisplayPort cable from your computer.
    • First re-plug your USB cable into your computer.
    • Wait 5 seconds, or until the light on your headset comes on.
    • Re-plug your mini DisplayPort or DisplayPort cable into your computer.
  2. Unplug and Replug your Rift S headset. To do this:
    • Carefully remove the facial interface from your headset. This will allow you to access the cable.
    • Unplug the cable from the headset.
    • Wait 5 seconds.
    • Insert the cable back into your headset.
    • Insert the facial interface back into your headset.
  3. Restart your Oculus Service. To do this:
    • Open the Oculus app on your computer.
    • Click Settings on the left side of the app.
    • Click Beta at the top of the settings options.
    • Click Restart Oculus.

If these steps do not resolve this behavior, we ask for your patience as we work on firmware improvements that will be ready shortly after launch.

If you continue experiencing issues with your Oculus Rift S display, contact Oculus Support directly. "

Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't have this particular issue but sure hope that firmware improvement comes soon and does address my issue also.

sraura
Heroic Explorer
Got this issue also... Only very brief flashes now and then... Seen at least while watching vids with whirligig and while playing pinball FX2 vr. Not sure but I have feeling that it is the pass trough camera which pops on and inserts random 1 frame on top of your image and shuts down again.

edit: after reseating the cable on the headset side (fully disconnecting and putting it back) may have fixed the problem for me. Haven't seen any flashes/white static since.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Got this issue also... Only very brief flashes now and then... Seen at least while watching vids with whirligig and while playing pinball FX2 vr. Not sure but I have feeling that it is the pass trough camera which pops on and inserts random 1 frame on top of your image and shuts down again.

That sounds plausible.  I wonder if there is a way to disable it to test this out.  I see on device manager a new 1x Camera device.  I'm just not sure if this would disable the passthrough or all headset cameras?  I'll try disabling it and see what happens, lol!  I'll let you know.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

sraura
Heroic Explorer
Could be also related to lovely windows 10 usb power management. For example it brings my external hard disks from hibernation every 60 minutes no matter what I do. Tried to disable the new usb power management all together, but no help there. Indexing is disabled and nothing is visible on services, so probably microsoft just wants to know what I have in my hard disk and runs some hidden tasks behind my back - hourly.

The day when I can erase windows 10 from my computer will be the 1st day when I smile with this BS operating (read spyware) system.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
That's plausible as well.  I'll try changing my power plan settings to keep the hard drives on all the time when plugged in.

It was set to shut off after 30 minutes of inactivity which seems just about the time I get that short flash.  Maybe just a coincidence?
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

CrashFu
Consultant
I've gotten occasional (rare, like once an hour) artifacts, too..  but mine are very colorful.  Like bright primary colors.  Only on small portions of the screen at a time.

Is that what you guys were seeing, or were yours like monochrome or something?
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.