cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S - Please read before you buy - Tracking problems with realistic FPS sims & Archery

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
EDIT: NEW UPDATE PLEASE READ - Read this first before continuing - Oculus has now released a new beta update called 1.39 which fixes many of these issues - I have eddied my main post of this thread so newcomers to Rift S can read this good news on how to fix their issues before continuing...You have to go into your Oculus software, click settings, click the Beta TAB at the top, click the button next to "Public Test Channel" which will automatically download Oculus software 1.39 and restart Oculus. Once you have installed this software update you will see that tracking has been massively improved for FPS games when holding two handed rifles and aiming down scopes. I have tested this on Onward today and played for over 3 hours and now the game is very playable. Before this update I couldn't play any FPS with two handed weapons, now they all seem to work fine!! Well done Oculus devs and thanks for the software update!  🙂

Original post below:
Hey everyone, I got my Rift S on launch day and was initially really impressed. But since then I have tried a wider verity of games and have since discovered a glaring issue with Rift S which is the tracking.

Before Rift S launched I was worried about the sound, that was my only concern, and yeah the sound isn't great but when I used my own headphones that solved the problem so when I was playing Robo Recall, Beat Saber, and Audica etc it all looked and performed fantastic and I soon forgot about the sound as I was enjoying the games so much.

But last night I bought Contractors on Steam which appears to be a great multiplayer FPS with great graphics but unfortunately is completely unplayable on RIft S! There's simply no other way to say it.

FPS games like Onward, Contractors, Pavlov and Archery games like In Death/Sacralith just aren't going to work with Rift S. You can't aim down the sites, soon as you hold your right hand up to your face in the normal position to look down the sites of a rifle or to look down an arrow the tracking freezes in place and stops working and makes it impossible to aim.

So after playing with Rift CV1 for the past 2.5 years this is completely dreadful. And btw the first year or so with CV1 I only had 2 front sensors which worked perfectly, the only reason I bought a 3rd sensor in the 2nd year was for pavlov so I could pick up weapons from the floor, so since then I used 3 camera setup in my dinning room and the Rift tracking was 100% perfect and never lost tracking for me.

If your planning on only playing Arcade games like Robo Recall, Superhot, Beat Saber and Audica, you will be fine, go ahead and buy Rift S and enjoy the amazing clarity of the optics and increased resolution.

But if you want to play FPS games or Archery games, your basically buying a product that does not work, your wasting your money and would be better buying a 2nd hand Rift CV1 off ebay/amazon.

Of course we heard in the past that Oculus could enable the old CV1 room sensors through software, I desperately hope they do this, otherwise for people like me that enjoy FPS/Archery games as well as the usual Arcade games, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, because I like Rift S, but what am I suppose to do? Use Rift CV1 for half my games library??

I'm quite shocked and hugely disappointed by this, I think maybe what other people were saying about Lenovo was right, I don't think Oculus/Facebook should have partnered with them because if this is the outcome then, well, no thanks.

I feel sorry for everyone who has pre-ordered expecting to play Onward/Contractors/Pavlov/In Death/
Sacralith etc and expecting this to be good. I think we need to all sign a petition to Oculus to enable the old CV1 room sensors for proper tracking otherwise they will have a lot of refunds going in and also this is very bad for people new to VR. In fact I'd go as far as to say that all FPS and Archery games should be taken off Oculus store for Rift S owners until this is resolved because otherwise what's the point? Everyone buying those games will have to refund I suppose.

Sorry for the rant guys, but I felt compelled to inform the community of this. People need to know how bad this tracking really is.

And also before Rift S was released people were saying the future is inside/out tracking. Well I'm sorry guys, but you couldn't of been more wrong. Inside/out tracking only works for Arcade games, sim racing games, elite dangerous and maybe Quest if Quest mainly uses Arcade games too? I'll leave that part for Quest users to comment on.

I own Rift CV 1, Oculus GO and now Rift S, was planning on buying Quest too but I'll hold off on that for a while until I read more reviews. 
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
356 REPLIES 356

Luciferous
Consultant
Getting my coat...lol

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar

Neo_33 said:

I don't really have a problem with shooting arrows in Apex Construct with the Rift S.  Maybe its a software issue.  The Rift S is new with new tracking tech compared to the original Rift so maybe software updates to the games will fix this.  

Is Apex Construct a good buy?

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Neo_33 said:

I don't really have a problem with shooting arrows in Apex Construct with the Rift S.  Maybe its a software issue.  The Rift S is new with new tracking tech compared to the original Rift so maybe software updates to the games will fix this.  

Is Apex Construct a good buy?

No, not to me, low res textures and few polys = poor PSVR graphics, and I think the gameplay is kinda boring. Get In Death or Sacralith instead if you're into archery games - or even better, Windlands 2.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar
Ya...definitely comes off as a mobile game or  a Quest game graphically, but I thought the exploration and environments might be fun. Maybe when it's on sale then.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I'm starting to think if a camera was placed below the headset like it is on the top, then pulling a bow string under your chin or holding a rifle comfy would have worked. It's not so much losing tracking near to the front of the headset that's the problem, it's when my controller goes under the headset a few inches below the chin. A camera underneath would have picked the controller up there I'm sure.

SiLvABuLLetZ
Explorer

…...

I'm quite shocked and hugely disappointed by this, I think maybe what other people were saying about Lenovo was right, I don't think Oculus/Facebook should have partnered with them because if this is the outcome then, well, no thanks.

I feel sorry for everyone who has pre-ordered expecting to play Onward/Contractors/Pavlov/In Death/
Sacralith etc and expecting this to be good. I think we need to all sign a petition to Oculus to enable the old CV1 room sensors for proper tracking otherwise they will have a lot of refunds going in and also this is very bad for people new to VR. In fact I'd go as far as to say that all FPS and Archery games should be taken off Oculus store for Rift S owners until this is resolved because otherwise what's the point? Everyone buying those games will have to refund I suppose.

Sorry for the rant guys, but I felt compelled to inform the community of this. People need to know how bad this tracking really is.

And also before Rift S was released people were saying the future is inside/out tracking. Well I'm sorry guys, but you couldn't of been more wrong. Inside/out tracking only works for Arcade games, sim racing games, elite dangerous and maybe Quest if Quest mainly uses Arcade games too? I'll leave that part for Quest users to comment on.

I own Rift CV 1, Oculus GO and now Rift S, was planning on buying Quest too but I'll hold off on that for a while until I read more reviews. 

Hi everyone, wanted to sign-in here to share the same sentiment. FPS games are totally broken with the S, and specifically those games requiring interacting with items or objects close to the face (aiming down sights, etc.)

This *MUST* be fixed -- and am deeply shocked they didn't test any fps games throughout this device's release cycle to validate this core issue, and even more shocked if they knew about it and released anyway expecting people not to 'notice', or ignored it.

Carmack is now identifying this issue with the Quest, but this definitely includes the S: https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1124334345689366528

SiLvABuLLetZ
Explorer

….

I *demand* to know why my post was removed indicating I shared the exact same problem.

The S is BROKEN for FPS games - those that require interaction with items and objects close to the face.

Why was my post removed?

SiLvABuLLetZ
Explorer
Why was my original post deleted - I demand to know. Potential buyers have a right to know that FPS games are utterly unplayable with the S.

This must be fixed.

RattyUK
Trustee

Why was my original post deleted - I demand to know. Potential buyers have a right to know that FPS games are utterly unplayable with the S.

This must be fixed.

If it was in the same vein as this one....
Well, let's say you probably already know 🙂

I believe that the comments so far are only mentioning a couple of games so far that some players have had issues with...
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

Ztreak
Protege
Interesting question here is, who is doing it wrong?

Those that dont have issues? Or those that have issues? The game developers?

My only experience from shooting with rifles is with the AG-3 Heckler & Kochs and MP5 when i was in the Navy here in Norway. 

My experience when playing FPS games on my CV1 is that where i have to hold my arms in VR to ADS does not feel like a natural position for me at all compared to real life shooting. My hands have to go much closer to my face and further back then what feels natural to get my eyes in the correct position. So imo also something to look into for the devs here.

Just my 2 cents.