cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

White flickering Screen Tearing on quest

Javelin396
Adventurer
Ive noticed this the most when in the quest home menu and while watching netflix which seems it seems to occur in more frequently, (or maybe i just notice it more because im not really playing a game and just watching tv). Almost looks like its the passthrough camera is bleeding through a bit perhaps.  Anyone else notice this? has oculus said anything about it?
63 REPLIES 63

caleblaw504
Honored Guest
Is there anything we can do this stop the screen tearing it's annoying

TheDoomGuy
Expert Protege
Same here.
Somebody from Oculus Team please answer.

Is this happening only to some headsets or all of them?

Mickyelloow
Explorer
I am sad to enter the graphical artifacts club too. Got my Quest yesterday and it already started to do that occasionally once opened up (it can even show up at the start of the booting logo.) It might be a hardware defect in devices that have this glitch, but hopefully it is just software (but I really don't know)

JeremyFisher
Explorer
My quest is also experiencing this issue and also the occasional micro stutter, not sure if the two are related. I wonder if this widespread or only affecting a small percentage?

Scaramoosh
Protege
Me too, but since everyone has the issue, it’s either a big recall or software.

h.r.gargi
Heroic Explorer
That is a software problem. 
Meta Facebook Community Accelerator 2022 winner
Facebook Community Partner
Founder of the Meta Quest VR Familie - The largest German Facebook Group for VR and Metaverse
https://www.facebook.com/groups/oculusvrgermany/

Maniac618
Protege
Just returned my unit to the shop for a refund. I'll believe the glitch fix when I see it fixed on another one I have access to. Maybe re-buy it at Christmas if they fix it, and for less.
Previous owner of DK2, current owner of Vive & Quest.

Mickyelloow
Explorer
After tinkering around with it, I think it might be a hardware defect on my end, sadly. My friend's doesn't seem to have any issues like these. It seems to be worse from a cold startup, but bits of the screens are tearing apart like this:
pt2yvdiph378.pngasp58s7n8s3u.png
Yup, that's the startup logo on the first image. It doubled up for a single frame here on the right eye only, but sometimes a horizontal stripe can appear instead. It can also happen on the left eye. The second image shows a light tear on the Home menu. When moving my head fast, sometimes horizontal stripes from bits of the rendered image can appear everywhere. I have yet been able to capture one of the really bad cases of stripes.
It doesn't help that the top left of my left eye's screen is darker than anywhere else, causing a partial double vision in empty black voids...
Since I've ordered it through Amazon, I might be able to replace it now if it's really hardware. It still really sucks though...

newCarbon
Explorer

After tinkering around with it, I think it might be a hardware defect on my end, sadly. My friend's doesn't seem to have any issues like these. It seems to be worse from a cold startup, but bits of the screens are tearing apart like this:
Yup, that's the startup logo on the first image. It doubled up for a single frame here on the right eye only, but sometimes a horizontal stripe can appear instead. It can also happen on the left eye. The second image shows a light tear on the Home menu. When moving my head fast, sometimes horizontal stripes from bits of the rendered image can appear everywhere. I have yet been able to capture one of the really bad cases of stripes.
It doesn't help that the top left of my left eye's screen is darker than anywhere else, causing a partial double vision in empty black voids...
Since I've ordered it through Amazon, I might be able to replace it now if it's really hardware. It still really sucks though...

I think you are describing here a different issue.
We are speaking about a white dot flickering sometimes around not screen tearing.

Maniac618
Protege

newCarbon said:

I think you are describing here a different issue.
We are speaking about a white dot flickering sometimes around not screen tearing.

h.r.gargi said:

Aidens12 said:

i've noticed theres an option in the advanced settings section on the oculus app that looks like it sets the refresh rate from 50-60hz. havent got a chance to try it yet but i just found it, so maybe thats an option that will help

Changing this setting does not make any difference for me. I think we have to wait for an update. Hopefully soon. 

Well I had both white dot and tearing, it is basically the same thing I think just can look different.
Previous owner of DK2, current owner of Vive & Quest.