cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sweetspot on Rift S??

rVRcloset
Heroic Explorer
So I'm not sure If I'm not getting the Rift S on the best possible position on my head, (a bit weird and fiddly with the halo after several years with the CV1) or if it's a ipd setting thing. (used 64 in rift)
But I only have clarity when watching straight forward and turning my whole head to look around??..
I thought the sweetspot on the Rift S would be bigger than the CV1?

My issue is that when looking around in the headset with my eyes, the image gets blurry.
Really noticeble when I tried Arizona Sunshine and was looking down the sight, when closing my left eye I have to turn my head left to be able to see clear down the scope..
Is this just me, or is the lenses / sweetspot wors in this regard?

Also felt a bit of eye strain after only 30 minutes of testing yesterday.
Can be in the CV1 for half a day without those issues.
The Closet Sim Rig
Aourus Pro Z390 - i7 8086K 32GB Ram - MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB - Windows 10  / GT Omega WS - NLR V3 - RS6 - Jetseat kw-908 / Fanatec CSW 2.5 / Fanatec ClubSport V3 pedals / Fanatec SQ Shifter 1.5 / Fanatec CS HB V.1.5 / HE SQ Shifter / SHH Shifter / TH8A Shifter / G27 Shifter - Button Box / DSD Button Box / BBJ Button Box / Wind simulator / Rift - S
16 REPLIES 16

MowTin
Expert Trustee
What's your IPD setting on the Rift? 

If you have a high IPD then your sweet spot is small. That's the case with me at 70mm. 

Did you adjust the digital IPD? I set mine all the way to 72. 

First day felt eye strain but next day was fine. I probably played for 4 hours. It's not ideal but it's just so much better than the Rift visually. I'm loving replaying all my games with the new clarity. 

Also, I don't really move eyes much in VR. I turn my head. I notice I do the same thing in real life. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

nalex66
MVP
MVP
How are you setting the eye relief (front/back adjustment)? The closer you get the lenses to your eyes, the better it should be.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

MowTin
Expert Trustee

nalex66 said:

How are you setting the eye relief (front/back adjustment)? The closer you get the lenses to your eyes, the better it should be.

Good point. But also the more uncomfortable the headset becomes. But yeah, I pushed it as far as I could reasonably tolerate. I'll probably play around with that a bit. 

i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar
This is a YMMV kind of thing it seems, and probably related to IPD. For me, the entire screen is the sweet spot. It's amazing. But my IPD is smack dab in the perfect zone ( 63-ish)

rVRcloset
Heroic Explorer

MowTin said:

What's your IPD setting on the Rift? 

If you have a high IPD then your sweet spot is small. That's the case with me at 70mm. 

Did you adjust the digital IPD? I set mine all the way to 72. 

First day felt eye strain but next day was fine. I probably played for 4 hours. It's not ideal but it's just so much better than the Rift visually. I'm loving replaying all my games with the new clarity. 

Also, I don't really move eyes much in VR. I turn my head. I notice I do the same thing in real life. 

nalex66 said:

I'm using 64 cause that is what it had in my CV1.
Was going back to check in the CV1 and I think that the eye strain might have to do with the brightness in the Rift S. The CV1 feels a lot more dimed down in compareson. So maybe I get used to it over time.
And also thinking that this blurryness might have been pressent a bit in the CV1 as well, but do to the higer clearity in the S, It's a lot more noticible when getting out of focus?

And I have the Rift S slider pretty close and tight to my face, helps make the S feel a bit more sturdy, and so used to the CV1 pressuring quite a bit on my face.
The Closet Sim Rig
Aourus Pro Z390 - i7 8086K 32GB Ram - MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB - Windows 10  / GT Omega WS - NLR V3 - RS6 - Jetseat kw-908 / Fanatec CSW 2.5 / Fanatec ClubSport V3 pedals / Fanatec SQ Shifter 1.5 / Fanatec CS HB V.1.5 / HE SQ Shifter / SHH Shifter / TH8A Shifter / G27 Shifter - Button Box / DSD Button Box / BBJ Button Box / Wind simulator / Rift - S

maxpare79
Trustee
I'm at 63 and find the sweetspot equivalent of not bigger then the CV1, I don't see blue anywhere. I saw some at first but it turned out to be foggy lens (which never happened on CV1) 
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner

rVRcloset
Heroic Explorer

maxpare79 said:

I'm at 63 and find the sweetspot equivalent of not bigger then the CV1, I don't see blue anywhere. I saw some at first but it turned out to be foggy lens (which never happened on CV1) 

Not blue. It gets blurry / out of focus when I'm looking around with my eyes inside the hmd, I have to keep my eyes really still and only use my head to look around, otherwise the objects I look at get's blurry.
The Closet Sim Rig

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
RoadToVR experienced something similar - here's the solution 

Read more here:

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-rift-s-review-good-choice-for-newcomers-difficult-choice-for-vr-vets...

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable
The sweet spot is bigger for me, and the FOV is bigger too. I've got a 64mm IPD.