cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sweat on Rift S Halo

KatherynnTV
Honored Guest
Pretty sure this must’ve been brought up somewhere but I’m wondering what the solution is for keeping the halo padding clean without investing in some sort of steam vacuum thing that may or may not actually work - besides, investing in that just to maintain your device is silly.

I like to work out in VR but how the hell am I supposed to keep the device clean when it’s practically a sweat sponge, that’s just gross. Surely Oculus thought this through when VR in its very nature is pretty active entertainment?

tl;dr : How do I keep the halo padding clean!?
32 REPLIES 32

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Pretty sure this must’ve been brought up somewhere but I’m wondering what the solution is for keeping the halo padding clean without investing in some sort of steam vacuum thing that may or may not actually work - besides, investing in that just to maintain your device is silly.

I like to work out in VR but how the hell am I supposed to keep the device clean when it’s practically a sweat sponge, that’s just gross. Surely Oculus thought this through when VR in its very nature is pretty active entertainment?

tl;dr : How do I keep the halo padding clean!?

But have you tried intensive games like BoxVR using the Rift-S? If yes, did you get extremely sweaty and needed to clean it? 

Normally it's described in the manual how to clean the device.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I have this question too. Just sweated buckets playing table tennis and that face foam was let's just say moister than a group of women alone on a desert island with Chris Hemsworth.  How on earth am I to even think about sharing this with others. I might be able to live with my sweat but the thought of someone elses...YUK. unless it's Chris Hemsworth's (no I am not gay or Bi or trans etc.).

:# 

I know you can remove the entire face foam and I even read you can wash this. What? Bung it into the washing machine on a low temp? Or gently hand-wash it in the sink with a touch of anti-bacterial washing-up liquid? Then how does one dry the thing afterwards? Mildew smell would be awful. 

Alternative is to buy those sharing face covers from VR Cover but that would work out pretty expensive over time.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
"that face foam was let's just say moister than a group of women alone on a desert island with Chris Hemsworth. "

Awesome description, really made my day, lol 
😄 

Maybe Rift-S is like your toothbrush - the idea of "sharing and caring" is so overrated  😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

KatherynnTV
Honored Guest
LOL. I enjoyed that description too. The face foam can just be replaced.. surely. But I'm on about the halo mostly, it doesn't look like it detaches.. maybe it does? If that's the case, just take it off, soak it and reapply it but I'm seeing no info on whether this is the case. I've watched the maintenance video thing, nothing. Just a few cute little tips about using a gentle wipe on the casing and a cloth on the lenses which is n o t  h e l p i n g. Oh well. Response from the Oculus please?  :#

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I'd be surprised if you got a response from Oculus. We have been discussing the headband long before Rift-S was released, and it's always been my suspicion that the headband isn't what you want to wear when performing physical exercises in VR - it makes it way too hard for your skin to breathe:

Image result for oculus rift-s

But nice to have my suspicions verified. Compare the above with the original Rift (which of course also got hot, but probably way less than the big headband):

Image result for oculus rift

Piped audio and the headband may indeed be my main problems with the Rift-S (Lenovo) design, even though the headband may feel comfy during less intense gaming.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Drying solution right here. A perfect fit and close to the open window getting a nice breeze on it. Apologies op this doesn't help with the Halo.

jndoqqvvsnvo.jpg

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Drying solution right here. A perfect fit and close to the open window getting a nice breeze on it. Apologies op this doesn't help with the Halo.

jndoqqvvsnvo.jpg

+ maybe removing the gasket and microwave the bacteria colonies when the odor's getting too stale or musty  🙂

On a more serious note, I wonder if the gasket can be gently washed. Gasket can be replaced, being too hot in BoxVR may be more difficult to fix in hot summers - maybe some aircon or an open window can fix that  B)  

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm surprised that Oculus didn't cover the headband and facial interface with pleather or something tbh.

Soulstoner
Honored Guest
Wonder this myself. Seems like a massive oversight.