cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S - Oculus Software stops when pluging in the VR headset

QuBe_fr
Explorer
Hello, 
I received my Headset yesterday evening and could not use it as of now.
I tried setting it up, and the software would not start when the headset is plugged in.
I checked with the compatibility tool from your website, I have the required ports. I plugged the headset in one USB 3.0 port and a display port as explained when the software asked me to. I also switched ports between 3.0 and 3.1, nothing works.
As soon as the software recognized the headset, it stopped.
It wouldn't start after that giving the following error : "We're having trouble starting Oculus". "Your oculus software maybe updating etc...".
I rebooted my pc after a little bit, the software would keep restarting indefinitely. I ended the different oculus processes in the task manager, tried to google the problem, installed a patch from march 2018. It did not work. When I unplugged the oculus headset, I was able to open the software, and then as soon as I plugged it back in, it would crash.
I tried "repairing" the software and it downloaded the whole 7.18GB again, and reinstalled it, and I am getting the same issues.
I read that I would have to start the "OVRService" in the "Services" tab of the task manager before starting the Oculus software.
So I tried stopping it and restarting it, after I had killed all the processes linked to Oculus. And restarted the software. The software wouldn't start and the wheel would keep spinning.
The only 2-3 times I was able to start the software was when my headset would be unplugged, and I would skip the VR setup stage, but as soon as I plug in the headset the software would crash, and either restart indefinitely, or just stop.
I made sure Windows was updated as were my drivers (graphics and others).
I tried repairing the software installation two more times, while disabling my firewall, and my antivirus (Windows Defender). I killed most of the processes that weren't necessary to run Windows or Oculus.
It seems that if I unplug my VR headset from any compatible USB port, and that I kill all the oculus processes, I can start the Oculus software just fine, and browse through the store and other things. When I add my Oculus Rift S through the app, as soon as I plug it in, the software just stops completely. Then if I try starting again, I either end up with the  aforementioned  "We're having trouble starting Oculus" error, or the software keeps restarting, or tries starting but gets stuck with the wheel spinning.

I opened a ticket with logs attached under the 
request (#746920).
I am still waiting for an answer from the Oculus team. Hopefully, they'll have a solution that would fix it for me.
I am turning to the forums, in the hope that someone would have already found a fix.
I will update the post if I find a solution in the meantime.

Thanks for reading and sorry for the long post.

(My setup : NVIDIA GTX 1080 GPU, and an intel i7 6700 CPU with 32 Go RAM on Windows 10). 

Edit 1 : It was recognized the first time, and I was asked to do a firmware update of the headset itself, as soon as it was over, I started having the issue, with the software crashing when the headset would be plugged in.

31 REPLIES 31

zongyu
Explorer

QuBe_fr said:

I was able to use my headset yesterday at a friend's, on his computer. He owns a Rift CV1, and has a Nvidia 1060 GPU and I am not sure exactly about the rest of his setup (I could ask). We were able to use my Rift S, update another time the headset firmware, the controllers firmware as well, and play !
I thought that going back home, these updates would fix my problem, well, it didn't.

Do you mean your Rift S works again at your friend's home, even if you could not get it work on your PC?
And you updated the firmware at your friend's home, but after you going back home, still not work on your PC?

QuBe_fr
Explorer

zongyu said:

QuBe_fr said:

I was able to use my headset yesterday at a friend's, on his computer. He owns a Rift CV1, and has a Nvidia 1060 GPU and I am not sure exactly about the rest of his setup (I could ask). We were able to use my Rift S, update another time the headset firmware, the controllers firmware as well, and play !
I thought that going back home, these updates would fix my problem, well, it didn't.

Do you mean your Rift S works again at your friend's home, even if you could not get it work on your PC?
And you updated the firmware at your friend's home, but after you going back home, still not work on your PC?

Yes, it worked at my friend's on his computer, I was able to play a few games and all that for the entire evening, even though I never managed to make it work on my own PC.
And yes, when I got back home, I still had the same issues, even if the firmwares were up to date as they were updated when plugged in to my friend's PC.

zongyu
Explorer

QuBe_fr said:

zongyu said:

QuBe_fr said:

Yes, it worked at my friend's on his computer, I was able to play a few games and all that for the entire evening, even though I never managed to make it work on my own PC.
And yes, when I got back home, I still had the same issues, even if the firmwares were up to date as they were updated when plugged in to my friend's PC.

So looks like this issue related to individual PC environment, I guess the new firmware may block some PC. I am now contacting an official supporter from Oculus, tried several solutions the supporter suggested, but still not work. I already sent the Oculus logs, hope they can find out something from my logs.

Zuiner
Explorer
So i have an older PC (GTX 780, intel i7-2600). There is old video drivers and Windows 10 without updates from summer 2018.
And on that PC ... everything works fine...
At least now i know that the problem is not in Rift S itself.

sakugetu
Honored Guest
I  tested PC of my friend. Rift S works in it. His environment can move properly for Rift and Rift S. I guess my individual environment is something wrong. I cannot find the reason. I should send log to Oculus support.  

zongyu
Explorer

Zuiner said:

So i have an older PC (GTX 780, intel i7-2600). There is old video drivers and Windows 10 without updates from summer 2018.
And on that PC ... everything works fine...
At least now i know that the problem is not in Rift S itself.

I had an old notebook... but I don't think the hardware spec is decent enough to even worth trying out the installation...

zongyu
Explorer

sakugetu said:

I  tested PC of my friend. Rift S works in it. His environment can move properly for Rift and Rift S. I guess my individual environment is something wrong. I cannot find the reason. I should send log to Oculus support.  

If still not work...I might consider reinstalling the Windows 10, but yes, that's the last solution for me.

Zuiner
Explorer
So i've reinstalled Windows 10 on my main PC. No changes... Oculus Home isn't working.

zongyu
Explorer

Zuiner said:

So i've reinstalled Windows 10 on my main PC. No changes... Oculus Home isn't working.

OK…thanks for your info…bad news but which means I can give up reinstall the OS,this is really a strange issue,looks like waiting for a software update becomes the only way

sakugetu
Honored Guest
I sent to Log to Oculus support. This problem seems to happen in many user's environment. 
When I get the answer, I will report it.