cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WOW that Increased FOV (when you remove the face foam)

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
After a session with Racket Fury I took off the face-foam to leave it by the open window to dry. Aside from my bodily aroma attracting bees, butterflies, mosquitoes and the local alcoholics from the nearby park, it seems to be doing the trick. However, I then placed the Quest on my head without this foam and by-jove (I know not many people use this expression anymore) the fov increase is pretty substantial. I am now wondering how this face-foam could be modded to make this a permanent solution. I do have a nice thin leather VR Cover that I use(d) for the Rift but there is no velcro to attach it. I'd have to use some creative thinking to get secured. 

I am wondering though, aside from obvious reason for protecting the HMD from moisture, why Oculus use such thick foam wasting quite a bit of screen real estate in the process? I guess this is what Valve mean with the Index and the increase to 130 degree fov for the Index by moving the eyes closer to the lenses.

Thoughts?

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
22 REPLIES 22

Sandcracka
Adventurer
I think the face gasket is mainly there for people who wear glasses so as not to scratch the lenses.  I too have removed it and I use the face gasket from VRology originally meant for the Gear VR.

5yz0rd8r42gw.jpg

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

I guess this is what Valve mean with the Index and the increase to 130 degree fov for the Index by moving the eyes closer to the lenses.

Thoughts?

I think that's spot on, unless the lenses are slightly larger too on the Index, we'll see when the NDA is lifted next week. 

Low-light conditions in the room may reduce the impact of having the gasket removed?  

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
@Sandcracka how did you stick those on though?

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Dilip
Rising Star
Since its removable...If Oculus will not come up with short new gaskets its opportunity for 3rd party to make soft material and short gaskets for those who doesn't have vision correction specs...

Sandcracka
Adventurer

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

I guess this is what Valve mean with the Index and the increase to 130 degree fov for the Index by moving the eyes closer to the lenses.

Thoughts?

This does look kinda big, or is it just me?  😉

4qoysd6f02bi.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

aoaaron
Honored Guest
So basically what ur saying is we need a really really thing interface thing or increased fov? 

Anonymous
Not applicable
indeed, we need a far thinner face cover,when you remove the facecover the field of view i much better and clearer for me.. i didnt know you could remove the foam by the way..

Deadace
Protege
You can buy rolls of velcro, where you cut of pieces you need with a scissor. it has very strong stickiness on the back, like tape but way stronger, that'll work!