cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S - Oculus Software stops when pluging in the VR headset

QuBe_fr
Explorer
Hello, 
I received my Headset yesterday evening and could not use it as of now.
I tried setting it up, and the software would not start when the headset is plugged in.
I checked with the compatibility tool from your website, I have the required ports. I plugged the headset in one USB 3.0 port and a display port as explained when the software asked me to. I also switched ports between 3.0 and 3.1, nothing works.
As soon as the software recognized the headset, it stopped.
It wouldn't start after that giving the following error : "We're having trouble starting Oculus". "Your oculus software maybe updating etc...".
I rebooted my pc after a little bit, the software would keep restarting indefinitely. I ended the different oculus processes in the task manager, tried to google the problem, installed a patch from march 2018. It did not work. When I unplugged the oculus headset, I was able to open the software, and then as soon as I plugged it back in, it would crash.
I tried "repairing" the software and it downloaded the whole 7.18GB again, and reinstalled it, and I am getting the same issues.
I read that I would have to start the "OVRService" in the "Services" tab of the task manager before starting the Oculus software.
So I tried stopping it and restarting it, after I had killed all the processes linked to Oculus. And restarted the software. The software wouldn't start and the wheel would keep spinning.
The only 2-3 times I was able to start the software was when my headset would be unplugged, and I would skip the VR setup stage, but as soon as I plug in the headset the software would crash, and either restart indefinitely, or just stop.
I made sure Windows was updated as were my drivers (graphics and others).
I tried repairing the software installation two more times, while disabling my firewall, and my antivirus (Windows Defender). I killed most of the processes that weren't necessary to run Windows or Oculus.
It seems that if I unplug my VR headset from any compatible USB port, and that I kill all the oculus processes, I can start the Oculus software just fine, and browse through the store and other things. When I add my Oculus Rift S through the app, as soon as I plug it in, the software just stops completely. Then if I try starting again, I either end up with the  aforementioned  "We're having trouble starting Oculus" error, or the software keeps restarting, or tries starting but gets stuck with the wheel spinning.

I opened a ticket with logs attached under the 
request (#746920).
I am still waiting for an answer from the Oculus team. Hopefully, they'll have a solution that would fix it for me.
I am turning to the forums, in the hope that someone would have already found a fix.
I will update the post if I find a solution in the meantime.

Thanks for reading and sorry for the long post.

(My setup : NVIDIA GTX 1080 GPU, and an intel i7 6700 CPU with 32 Go RAM on Windows 10). 

Edit 1 : It was recognized the first time, and I was asked to do a firmware update of the headset itself, as soon as it was over, I started having the issue, with the software crashing when the headset would be plugged in.

31 REPLIES 31

QuBe_fr
Explorer
Okay, so I don't want to get your hopes up, so it still does not work, but here is a work-around to get to the guardian setup:
Go to C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime and run OVRServer_x64.exe as admin.
 It opens a console and you should just keep it open, now you can open the Oculus software, and plug your headset in. 
I was able to go to the Guardian setup but then Dash encounters a Fatal error and it doesn't work.

But I was able to access Oculus Home and the virtual room thingy by opening the Oculus software and skipping the setup of my Rift S. The only thing though is that I don't have Guardian setup so there is no playing Steam VR games…
I'll try to buy a game rom Oculus Store and see what happens.

I'll keep you updated.

sakugetu
Honored Guest
I fixed trouble!!! I found the reason of problem is windows user name. If you use 2 byte code for user name, make different windows a name by 1 byte code. My Rift S move properly in this. In Japan, many users face same problem, but I think not many in US. So I found.
I concluded this version Oculus Software fail to start Runtime with 2 byte code user in Windows. Please try it.

Zuiner
Explorer

sakugetu said:

I fixed trouble!!! I found the reason of problem is windows user name. If you use 2 byte code for user name, make different windows a name by 1 byte code. My Rift S move properly in this. In Japan, many users face same problem, but I think not many in US. So I found.
I concluded this version Oculus Software fail to start Runtime with 2 byte code user in Windows. Please try it.

OMG It's working. I've created user "1". And Oculus Home is fine now. Thank's a lot. You are better than support. 

QuBe_fr
Explorer
Although, with my work-around I'm able to play "audica", a game I just bought on the oculus store, and it works until you remove the headset, then it asks to setup the guardian thing, and fatal dash error is encountered again.

Edit: It worked, I add to create another windows account with the username 1. Thanks a lot!

sakugetu
Honored Guest
I sent to Log to Oculus support. This problem seems to happen in many user environment. 

Example 
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/75777/i-cannot-connect-new-rift-s-to-my-pc

Oculus Support
https://support.oculus.com/885981024820727/?sf213165895=1

When I get the answer, I will report it.

Eminor
Honored Guest
Hey guys, similar situation here: installed Oculus software which after first log in it just kinda closed.
Launching Oculus client returns a "we're having trouble..."

-Formatted and reinstalled Windows 10 and Oculus software

-Launching OVRServer_x64.exe as admin (as from above)-> cmd window will not keep open and will close after a couple of seconds ending in 
26/05 01:48:21.514 {DEBUG}   [OAFInterface] Thread 9604 blocked in GetOAFCallbacks()
26/05 01:48:21.525 {INFO}    [OafDataStore] DB create time: 1558828086
(thread number always changes)

-Changed my (one and only) account's name to 1 and other names just to give it a try; no success.

Now for the fun part:
if I launch OVRServer_x64.exe as admin then quickly launch the client, it starts booting up and hangs indefinitely in the splash screen with the rotating loading circle. The weird thing is that 1 out of 100 times, instead of "we're having trouble...", launching the client would boot to said hanging splash screen, this without launching OVRServer_64.exe

QuBe_fr
Explorer
Hey Eminor, so I changed my account name first to no success. I think the trick is to create another windows account with a short name like "1" (without a Microsoft account, like no email or other details needed), I had to reinstall oculus software (repair it so downloading it again, 7.18GB of it), on this account cuz after starting it on the "1" windows account, I had a bug with the VR download files. After I did that, I didn't need to do anything particular, and it worked seamlessly :). Hope this helps

Eminor
Honored Guest
Thanks for taking the time to respond QuBe_fr ^_^
I tried to start from scratch so I uninstalled the oculus software, created a new local non-admin account and named it 1, redownloaded installer, went through the 7gigs download and installation of oculus software, but I still get the same "we're having trouble..."

Tried turning off all firewalls and windows defender, tried running the OVRserver_x64.exe as admin (as earlier).
As a side note: the oculus service is running as it should as I can see from my task manager as it was the case earlier as well... sigh. 
I'm at a total loss and very tired, been working on this for 20 hours across 3 days now, it's basically a second job T_T When I got the Oculus I just wanted to play VR... We have CANNOT WRITE pros at work and jesus they're so much better at this... just plug and play, some buggy sound drivers but it's heaven compared to the oculus software. If I knew this was going to be the case with Oculus I'd have spent 150 quid more for an CANNOT WRITE and I'd be golden and well rested by now. Sry m8, rly needed to vent. Really appreciate the help though, if I come across any findings myself I'll make sure to post it here.

Eminor
Honored Guest
Sorry for off topic guys but, is this below like... normal? cos it's freaking me out right now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nS5rLSAOXo&feature=youtu.be

Eminor
Honored Guest
Ok, I know what my issue is now. I hacked oculus software installation with intel sde to bypass the sse4.2 restriction as my cpu though being very powerful runs on an older architecture which can still run 99.9% of games as well as the oculus client, but, as of this March oculus updated the client (as well as the installer) as to run an sse4.2 check on our CPU and, even though the client could just as well run on a pre-sse4.2 cpu, apparently it just won't if the check returns false.

So there you go. Right now I regret very much my purchase, maybe I should have gone for the other headset that I am not allowed to mention on here but well... live and learn. Thanks for the support anyways, having been through many oculus discussions I have learned that helpful and perseverant people like you guys are the real highlight of the oculus community, and who keep this company afloat.

Cheerio and good luck with everything