cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1080ti or 2080 for the Rift S

RiverDave
Honored Guest
I could get the 1080ti for 500€. I guess that would be the smarter move. I'll get this one: https://www.asus.com/de/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING/

33 REPLIES 33

Star-lizard
Rising Star
Perhaps processors was  poor wording however it's still architecture you'll not have

"Nvidia has unveiled its new Turing architecture along with details of the first GPUs to use it. Turing includes dedicated “RT Core” hardware designed to drive ray tracing, a complex technique that can deliver extremely realistic lighting effects but has been prohibitively resource-intensive to render in real time. Nvidia calls the new Turing-based Quadro RTX the “world’s first ray-tracing GPU” and claims it’s the biggest leap since the company introduced CUDA in 2006."

So now you have two functions that this architecture supports
Ray tracing and optical flow

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar

Perhaps processors was  poor wording however it's still architecture you'll not have

"Nvidia has unveiled its new Turing architecture along with details of the first GPUs to use it. Turing includes dedicated “RT Core” hardware designed to drive ray tracing, a complex technique that can deliver extremely realistic lighting effects but has been prohibitively resource-intensive to render in real time. Nvidia calls the new Turing-based Quadro RTX the “world’s first ray-tracing GPU” and claims it’s the biggest leap since the company introduced CUDA in 2006."

So now you have two functions that this architecture supports
Ray tracing and optical flow

Name one VR game with ray tracing :P. Safe to say, those of us on 1070's and 1080's are good for one more year or so.

sraura
Heroic Explorer
GTX1060 seems to work fine with Rift S

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar

le sigh...

Why wouldn't it. Not the topic here.

sraura
Heroic Explorer

le sigh...

Well the point was that 1080ti will probably be very sufficient.

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar

le sigh...

Gee ya think? The thread isn't about 1060 vs 1080ti.

What is the deal with people? yeesh.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Wait a few months and see what both AMD and Nvidia are going to bring to the table with the Navi and 21xx cards. The new Turing tech will be cheaper to produce by the time they release so we probably won't see GPUs costing over a grand.

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar

snowdog said:

Wait a few months and see what both AMD and Nvidia are going to bring to the table with the Navi and 21xx cards. The new Turing tech will be cheaper to produce by the time they release so we probably won't see GPUs costing over a grand.

This is what I'm doing. I sure aint spending $1500 on a 2080ti. A 2180 will be $900 CAD and beat it. I'd expect a 2180 will be $600 or so.

The 1080 is really pretty ridiculous. I hadn't spent $900 on a GPU since the ATI 1950xtx over 15 years ago, and regretted the shit out of that as the 8800 gt/gts was just around the corner and smoked it. But the 1080...what a power house. Handles everything out there, still to this day on high/max settings, and VR with super sampling. Best card I've ever had, with the longest stretch of satisfying use, and it's still not done.

When I finally get a 21xx, man is that going to be a performance upgrade. But ya...not until the 21xx. the 20xx just aint worth it. The OP has to choose between a 10xx and a 20xx. There's no point in getting older tech unless it's much much cheaper, but you might end up with a card that was used for mining. /cringe

falken76
Expert Consultant

TomCgcmfc said:

Richooal said:

, and the 1080ti is out of date basically.

They don't go "out of date". You keep using them as long as they're working okay and meet your current requirements.
Also, I should add that software for the Rift S is compatible with the Rift. The "recommended" graphics card for both is still the 1060.

The 1060 (or better) is the recommended minimum.  Honestly you would not recommend a 1060 to a friend imho, lol!

I would.  I have one and it works very well for my needs.  If the person I'm recommending a card to can't afford to drop nearly $700 on a GPU, perhaps they can afford $200 for nearly the same experience.  It won't be as good, but to the laymen, the differences are not glaringly obvious, so if they can save $500, they can certainly see the difference in their bank account.  This makes the difference between experiencing VR and saying "Fuck it, it's too damn expensive" for those that can't afford everything being top of the line.

falken76
Expert Consultant

le sigh...

Gee ya think? The thread isn't about 1060 vs 1080ti.

What is the deal with people? yeesh.

Thread probably shifted a little off topic when someone said "You wouldn't recommend a 1060 to a friend would you LOL"