cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All Problems for Oculus Rift S

auxiliaryxx
Explorer
Use this discussion for all problems related to the Oculus Rift S! I have found most solutions for mine which I will be sharing on here as well.
Common Problems: Tracking, Guardian, Setup, Freezing, Snow Pixels, Jittering, Plug Problems, USB 3.0 errors, Game glitches, Camera problems, Headphone static, Some games don't run, Oculus home freezes, Steam vr wants to setup, Speakers make noise, Ipd glitching on horizonal side, fov is small, no sweetspot.

I will tell you how to improve FOV, TRACKING, SWEETSPOT AND PERFORMANCE as best as I can.

Let's get started!
147 REPLIES 147

Anonymous
Not applicable

Even Win10 1809 is fine.  I've been on 1809 and Rift S has worked from day 1 for me.

A lot of feedback on discord, many users having issues are on outdated Win10 (like going back to 17xx builds).  Once they updated to 1809 or 1903 the tracking/setup issues were fixed.

LOL. Yes, keeping windows 10 updated to the current release version is probably a good idea for sure. Maybe that should even be a check in the oculus setup for the rift, and tell users they need to be up to date.

OcuBrett
Explorer
I had an issue when I 1st got Rift S going - when looking around the screen didn't track smoothly. It was just a little 'jittery'. I am new to Oculus, so I didn't even know it wasn't normal at 1st. Later, after a reboot, it was smooth. Everything fine for the rest of the day until I was playing something upstairs. With it still on, I moved downstairs. I was then stuck under everything. Whether in the home or games like bullet train, I was way out outside of everything. I tried to reboot a few times, and it started back up with me in the place. Finally, I went upstairs, turned it all off, and came downstairs and restarted. It worked fine then except that darn jitter was back. I tried to reboot several times. I checked everything I could think of. Nothing else was running. I set my graphics card to default to the dedicated GTX1060 for Oculus and no luck. I was going to return it the next day as I don't want sporadic issues like this. Next day and each after, all works great. Does anyone have any idea how to do some sort of reset for the issue I had after coming downstairs? Any ideas on why I got that 'jitter' initially and then after - with it magically going away the next day?

GERMINATOR33
Protege

MAC_MAN86 said:

It's best to postpone Win Updates to 1903 or insider 1909 as they still have no fix for the sound issues. Some got lucky but it is a lottery.
In Win10 Pro you can select Advanced Options>Semi-Annual Channel drop down plus 365days. This can be changed back once any fix is Official.
In Win10 Home you can set 2nd Option for Metered Connections which also loses track of the live tiles in Start Menu. It can be set back anytime.
Come to think about it, a fresh OS of any may still require us to do USB Updates in Devices as these aren't picked up as their manufacture due to a Microsoft Default being used firstly. However, that could be the issue if then using the ASMedia Drivers.

See my post : https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/76142/resolved-sound-problem-in-the-oculus-setup-de...

I found the
solution to the problem of sound (Just in the Oculus Setup demo and Eve Valkyrie for me)

It is indeed
necessary to put the update KB4497935 Windows 10 v1903 build 18362.145.

As she is not yet
released in Europe I downloaded it here:

https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/133270-cumulative-update-kb4497935-windows-10-v1903-build-...

And to install it
I applied option 2 of this method for .cab files:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/66346-install-cab-file-windows-10-a.html

I put the file
"windows10.0-kb4497935-x64_32e1aacf9c4d951e54921d566e08cd683f5db07d.cab"
directly on my hard drive C and I run the command line in PowerShell in
administrator mode.

Leave the file as
it is, do not uncompress it with winrar.

Here is the command
line to install the file directly under C

DISM / Online /
Add-Package
/PackagePath:"C:\windows10.0-kb4497935-x64_32e1aacf9c4d951e54921d566e08cd683f5db07d.cab
"

Type Enter, Restart
the PC at the invitation with Yes and here is the version 18362.145 installed.

Since no more
problem of sound in the oculus installation demo and in Eve Valkyrie.

It also seems to
have solved the small flashes of snow that could sometimes appear in game but
not the problem of headphones that never really goes off like the old CV1

sorry for my
english because i'm french

I hope this will
help you.

The_K_Locker
Honored Guest
When I try to setup SteamVR, I get to the step where I need to define the boundary and it doesn't work. I see my Rift S and controllers moving around on screen and it tells me to pull the trigger at the edge of the boundary to define it but nothing happens when I do it. It worked a couple of time intermittently but I've tried everything and I can't get it to work again, I had to reconnect my Vive and set it using that.

auxiliaryxx
Explorer

hl_cel said:

Hi Tyler,

I have a bad case of static noise with the build-in speakers and headphones. It sounds louder and more scratchy than the normal static / white noise that you hear with  audio devices when you crank up the volume. But in my case the volume has no effect of the noise. And when I put the volume to 70% or more i hear a louder crack/popping with the build-in speakers when sound is playing.

When I connect my headphones (3.5mm or USB) directly with my PC I do not hear any distortion. I did not have this problem with my CV1 or any other audio devices.

The drivers are up to date. I unplugged on eveything (including the microphone) to make sure that nothing that can cause this problem is plugged in anymore.

I think the Rift S is faulty but maybe you have an idea.

Regards

Heiko

Hey, sorry for the late response. The oculus team mentioned that cables too close to the Oculus' USB cable will cause interference. 
Also, some motherboards have USB "noise", such as my own. 

Hope this helps! 

auxiliaryxx
Explorer

When I try to setup SteamVR, I get to the step where I need to define the boundary and it doesn't work. I see my Rift S and controllers moving around on screen and it tells me to pull the trigger at the edge of the boundary to define it but nothing happens when I do it. It worked a couple of time intermittently but I've tried everything and I can't get it to work again, I had to reconnect my Vive and set it using that.

This is the main issue I have been dealing with. Do this as a temperary fix until Oculus helps out:

1. Close All VR Software (Oculus, STEAMVR)
2. Replug the Oculus
3. Start software and put on headset
4. Start steam vr if it's all good
5. Enjoy

Anonymous
Not applicable
You might just try swapping the RIFT S USB with the Mouse USB slot. It'll be just a USB3.0 as recommended by Oculus and won't have "noise" as it doesn't send power out to hard drives and is less bandwidth. OR try another Driver like xHCI that is quoted as could have a poorer performance which is what it wants!

swissholtz
Honored Guest

I have a strange Problem: on the first day, when the rift s arrived, It was a hard installation but the rift worked for the whole day...I was really excited 🙂

I started the pc on the second day and there was just a black Screen in the rift s but the Sound worked. I began to plug in & out the device with multiply restarts of the system. Sadly it wasn't working again. I tried different DP and USB slots with no success. I have all the new updates on the drivers and Windows...

The worst part of the story is, that the rift worked on the first day...

auxiliaryxx
Explorer

I have a strange Problem: on the first day, when the rift s arrived, It was a hard installation but the rift worked for the whole day...I was really excited 🙂

I started the pc on the second day and there was just a black Screen in the rift s but the Sound worked. I began to plug in & out the device with multiply restarts of the system. Sadly it wasn't working again. I tried different DP and USB slots with no success. I have all the new updates on the drivers and Windows...

Most likely, Oculus' software isn't functioning properly.

1. Restart the software (Settings>Beta>Restart Oculus)
2. Quickly unplug and replug the Headset
3. Wait 5 minutes (don't put on headset yet)
4. Open SteamVr (optional but helpful) 
5. Put on headset. 

Note: If you do not see anything talk to Oculus. If you see a loading symbol you will want to restart your Pc and try again. 

Knutsi
Protege

Hi @swissholtz. If you now try to setup the device again, does it give you a "Sensors can't track headset" error? My story is a little like yours, but my headset only worked for a few minutes. If you haven't already, do the log dump and open a ticket with Oculus perhaps? (: It's important enough of us do this that they see the issue. If you look in the log ZIP, do you have any particular errors that stick out? My camera fails to start ,while another persons was complaining about lack of resources.